Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High heating bills?

Geez all your heat bills are low, I must have holes in my house cuz my bill runs about $270 -300, there are a few months where my bill is around $125. My house is 1900 square feet but it has alot of open spaces so that might be why it never stays warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Usually your county energy assistance program if you qualify. Good luck!
    I never heard of that either..so you have to be on disability & receiving assistance in order to qualify?
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    In Florida its great, this time of year I dont need to run either the a/c or heat as it averages around 72 during the day and 59 @ night so my house stays around 70 degrees. Electric bill only runs around $40.00 per month. When I arrived here in October it was a different story, it was around 90 degrees outside and had to run the a/c a lot and it cost around $100.00 per month. We had a cold snap also back in December where it was getting as low as 25 degrees out at night and I had to run the heat a lot which is the most inefficient form of heat possible, electric with a blower. I've yet to see Decembers heating bill, but I'm willing to bet its around $150.00 at least. It was a 13 day cold snap and a lot my plants around the yard died from the freeze.
    That settles it - I'm moving to Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Susqu View Post
    SCI Nurse - who would the lower heating/cooling costs for SCI/MS be through, Local utilities or local government?? I haven't heard of this before.
    In our part of Illinois we have Ameren IP for utiltities and they won't even acknowledge the need for electricity. I was told you could contact them and let them know you needed your power back on ASAP like for dialysis or feeding pump, etc and then you would have priority in getting your power turned back on sooner. But when I contacted them they said yea we have a list but in reality they just do the best they can. No mention of any discounts. I will check back into it though.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaddmother View Post
    We heat with propane...our tank is 300 gal/my younger son's is a 500 gallon tank...average is about 100 gallons a month and our delivery is every 3 months. I keep it at 74 through the cold months and 72 during the summer...and try not to touch it...if my son gets chilled it takes forever to get him warm again. propane here in Oklahoma is at $2.26, ouch....Everything else is electric...

Propane here just jumped from $2.20 to $4.95. Unless you prepaid in the fall for so many gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    That settles it - I'm moving to Florida
    And back to IL during hurricane season? Every place has one or more downsides. The thing that I do not like about FL is that the state is overrun with crotchety old northerners.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    Propane here just jumped from $2.20 to $4.95. Unless you prepaid in the fall for so many gallons.
    omg...think we'll move to Florida too...maybe we can share a house on the beach!

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    I never heard of that either..so you have to be on disability & receiving assistance in order to qualify?
    It goes by your household income and what it cost you last year, don't need to be disabled. Check with your county about energy assistance, they even help with windows, insulation, making your house more energy efficent.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Also keep in mind that if you have a SCI or MS and have poor temperature control, you may qualify for a special lower rate for both heating and cooling costs. It is not available in all circumstances, but often is, and generally just requires completion of a form and a signature by your physician. It can help a little.

(KLD)
    In my state this is income based. My son uses what our state designates life support and I use C-Pap and you have to go thru hoops to not get the utilities turned off. Then, they only give you 30 days.
    Last edited by cheesecake; 02-01-2010 at 09:19 AM.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Wow, many of you people have it great with your heat bills.

I live in frozen hell called Wisconsin and live in only an apartment, yet from December through Feb, my heat bill runs from 220-300 dollars a month. November and March can run me 150-225 depending on the weather.

I should say that includes my electricity charges also into one bill.