Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High heating bills?

We keep the heat at 68 during cold weather and about 70 in warm weather. We're in a small home right now and our heat/cooling is a heat pump all electric. I just got our electric bill and the total is $110, $122 with the outside security light. I expect it to be about twice that amount if we ever finish the house.

I usually have to wear a sweater, but I don't mind, I grew up that way. My dad kept the temp at 65.

In Florida its great, this time of year I dont need to run either the a/c or heat as it averages around 72 during the day and 59 @ night so my house stays around 70 degrees. Electric bill only runs around $40.00 per month. When I arrived here in October it was a different story, it was around 90 degrees outside and had to run the a/c a lot and it cost around $100.00 per month. We had a cold snap also back in December where it was getting as low as 25 degrees out at night and I had to run the heat a lot which is the most inefficient form of heat possible, electric with a blower. I've yet to see Decembers heating bill, but I'm willing to bet its around $150.00 at least. It was a 13 day cold snap and a lot my plants around the yard died from the freeze.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

We have oil heat, and keep it set at 68 during the day, and 60 or 65 at night. At that I am wearing at least 2 sweaters/sweatshirts, and possibly a blanket. If I am still shivering I will nudge it up to 70. Or bake something, and sit in the kitchen. LOTS of covers at night. (Summers, the ac if I need it, to keep the house around 76, but I only run that for around 30 days, off and on, during the summer.

I have considered one of those small heaters, that just heats the are you are sitting in .... but haven;t bought one yet. Anyone else use them to supplement the heat?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    We have oil heat, and keep it set at 68 during the day, and 60 or 65 at night. At that I am wearing at least 2 sweaters/sweatshirts, and possibly a blanket. If I am still shivering I will nudge it up to 70. Or bake something, and sit in the kitchen. LOTS of covers at night. (Summers, the ac if I need it, to keep the house around 76, but I only run that for around 30 days, off and on, during the summer.

I have considered one of those small heaters, that just heats the are you are sitting in .... but haven;t bought one yet. Anyone else use them to supplement the heat?
    I use to use something like this when I lived back north, it worked good. Put it next to the bed at night and when I'd leave the thermostat for the whole house @56 to save oil it would keep me warm at night. Then during the day I'd move it into the living room. Did not really jack up the electric bill too much as its only 1500 watts.

http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-DCH45...pd_sim_dbs_k_6
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Hasn't cost me a dime this year so far. I burn coal and still using last years left overs. I keep the house at 75. Hopefully I have enough till end of may.
    oh well

Mine runs $150-$225 for 400 sq ft. Ridiculous!
    I use the only source I have for this place electric.
    The problem is it's a 220 ac/heater wall unit.
    It's higher in the winter.
    I do keep it high when I use it. 78-80
    But I don't even cut it on during the day, just at night.
    My aides don't like it on. Hot natured.
    I bundle up day & night.
    I do have a space heater Sjean which I use when it's not that cold.

SCI Nurse - who would the lower heating/cooling costs for SCI/MS be through, Local utilities or local government?? I haven't heard of this before.

We heat with propane...our tank is 300 gal/my younger son's is a 500 gallon tank...average is about 100 gallons a month and our delivery is every 3 months. I keep it at 74 through the cold months and 72 during the summer...and try not to touch it...if my son gets chilled it takes forever to get him warm again. propane here in Oklahoma is at $2.26, ouch....Everything else is electric...

~1150 sq ft apartment, keep it between 70-72 degrees, electric bill is typically $67/mo or thereabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Susqu View Post
    SCI Nurse - who would the lower heating/cooling costs for SCI/MS be through, Local utilities or local government?? I haven't heard of this before.
    Usually your county energy assistance program if you qualify. Good luck!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!