Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: High heating bills?

High heating bills?

Just curious how everyones heating bills are this year. I own a stove and fireplace store and our business is down. I know the economy is playing havic but still...We sell mostly corn and pellet stoves and fireplaces. They really do a good job heating and are much more cost effective comparable to propane and natural gas. Wood stoves would be our next best seller but not for me. There is no way I could cut wood by myself since David got MS. And it sure wouldn't be cost effective if I had to buy the wood. Not trying to sell anyone anything just wondering how your bills are compared to last year, are you turning the heat down, do you heat with corn, pellet or wood?

I use electric heat pump, and a wood stove. I have a small house (walk in the front door and you're in the backyard), so its fairly easy to heat my house. Our winter aint near as cold as that frosty-butt breezes ya'll get...

My place is 3 floors, my office in the cold basement--finished and central heat but frigid cold. Our heat is down low, 68. I am on budget billing where I pay a set amount every month. We have over $300 in credit right now but are not allowed to touch it until August. The set amount is almost $273 a month and I am fighting with the utility regarding getting out of the budget billing. In this state they turn off your heat, disabled, young children or not.

I looked at pellet stoves but because we are a townhouse there is no way to have one. I worry about the smoke and ash with a kid with pulmonary issues. Do they burn clean?
    Every day I wake up is a good one

We usually burn shelled corn but this year the corn was really wet so we are burning pellets. Corn usually costs less than pellets. However some people do not have the ways to transport or store corn. Heating more than one floor with a corn/pellet stove is very hard to do. Some of our customers use their furnace fan only to help circulate the heat. Others say this doesn't work. I haven't tried it so I can't say one way or the other. Burning corn we will burn 150 bushel at around $3.50 a bushel to heat our 2300 sq. ft. home. (525) This is from Oct. to April. This year with the pellets I will end up burning about 4 ton of pellets at $$200 a ton.(800) we still use natural gas for our cook stove and hot water heater, plus our electricity is included in the same bill and runs around $90-120 a month. All pellet/corn stoves are sealed and allow no smoke to enter the home unless there is a problem, such as bad gasket or power outages. We have one unit which has a battery backup cable for power outages. They are also very safe with snap discs that shut the units off if a malfunction should happen. Ok - it is starting to sound like I am trying to sell to you all but honestly I am not. I can not ship anything and unless any of you come into my store, I promise I that's not why I started this thread.

This winter hasn't been all that bad with temps in the 40's and 50's. I am not going to be cold this year when the temps drop into the low thirties, so I am using about twice the heat I did last year. This year I can pay for it.

We had one week where it was in the teens, but that is all over for now, but that bill is laying on my desk ready to be opened on monday. I don't want to know. I use my fireplace to warm up on sunday mornings when I make a big breakfast, but that is all.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Heat

We keep the house at about 67 or 68 depending, usually colder at night. Gas furance. My last bill was about 110 or so. Little low so far. Can go up to about 200
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

I would freeze at 67. We keep our stove set on 80, back rooms are about 77.

We have radiant floor heat which is fired by a LP boiler. We have been using 1200 gal. a year for the last 12 years. Thermostat is set at 77-78 from mid Sept. to about mid May and the water heater, kitchen stove, dryer are also LP so it all hinges on the price of LP. This year the price per gal. is up again.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Also keep in mind that if you have a SCI or MS and have poor temperature control, you may qualify for a special lower rate for both heating and cooling costs. It is not available in all circumstances, but often is, and generally just requires completion of a form and a signature by your physician. It can help a little.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    I would freeze at 67. We keep our stove set on 80, back rooms are about 77.
    I can't go any lower than 21 Celsius or 70 Fahrenheit. Even at that, I'm dressed sweater and leg warmers at home. My place is on slab; an uninsulated slab so it's always cold.

My dream would be ground source heat pump and hydronic floor. Seven year payoff but warm and toasty.