Thread: Resting Heart Rate and Low Blood Pressure Question

Resting Heart Rate and Low Blood Pressure Question

I'm a 25 year post c5/6 complete and my resting heart rate is usually around 100-110. My blood pressure is usually 90/50 at the highest but sometimes as low as 60/40. Is this heart rate normal for people with low blood pressure? My heart rate has gone as high as 130 while at rest. I have recently started having episodes that feel like anxiety attacks. I get heart palpitations, a fast and irregular heart beat, lightheaded and shortness of breath. Sometimes it even feels like something heavy is sitting on my chest. I guess I need to make an appointment to see my Dr. soon.

Can years of chronic low blood pressure affect the heart in any way?
    Renee

It is not unusual for someone with a cervical or high thoracic SCI to have a blood pressure that runs from 80-90/50-60. It is unusual to have a fast pulse like that though, in fact bradycardia (pulse less than 70) is fairly common. Could you be chronically dehydrated? That could do it.

When did you last have an EKG? You could have a heart arrhythmia like atrial fib. I would recommend that you see your physician and get this done.

A blood pressure that is too high can damage your heart. As long as you are pumping enough blood to make urine (at least 30 cc./hour) and perfuse your limbs and organs (including very importantly your brain), there is really no blood pressure that is too low as long as you don't pass out when standing or sitting.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by sreneet View Post
    I'm a 25 year post c5/6 complete and my resting heart rate is usually around 100-110. My blood pressure is usually 90/50 at the highest but sometimes as low as 60/40. Is this heart rate normal for people with low blood pressure? My heart rate has gone as high as 130 while at rest. I have recently started having episodes that feel like anxiety attacks. I get heart palpitations, a fast and irregular heart beat, lightheaded and shortness of breath. Sometimes it even feels like something heavy is sitting on my chest. I guess I need to make an appointment to see my Dr. soon.

Can years of chronic low blood pressure affect the heart in any way?
    Your symptoms sound very much like those of my AB wife who is recovering from an arrhythmia, specifically. atrial flutter. If not corrected, it can lead to a heart attack and other life threatening problems. I suggest you get it checked out asap. If the symptoms occur before you are checked out and do not quickly subside, I'd dial 911 and get a quick check out.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

It could also be anxiety and panic attacks, they can cause the heart symptoms that you speak of. Best to see your doc to figure it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Your symptoms sound very much like those of my AB wife who is recovering from an arrhythmia, specifically. atrial flutter. If not corrected, it can lead to a heart attack and other life threatening problems. I suggest you get it checked out asap. If the symptoms occur before you are checked out and do not quickly subside, I'd dial 911 and get a quick check out.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Has your pulse always been this high since sci? If not when did it get this high?
    My pulse ranges 45-70 tops even when my bp is real low.