Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blood in cathing tube

blood in cathing tube

Hey was wondering if anyone has pulled out the intermite cath and noticed a red tint towards the end. Past couple of days when I finish and end up pulling the cath out its red or pink looking an the end. It only does it once or twice during the day but it does it. any ideas or thoughts would help. I'm not to concerned about it but if I should be let me know.
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

happens every now and then to me too.

has come and gone for me to. I was told not to worry if it was only a few drops

Sounds like it could be from pushing the catheter in a little too far or forcing the sphincter to open and if not that, then an infection. If it's the latter I'd have it checked before it gets worse. Best of luck!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Thanks

Thanks everyone from the quick response. Glad Im not alone with all of this.
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Same thing happened to me a few times, the cath was to thick I guess and my muscle was very tight so i pushed it in a little hard.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee View Post
    Same thing happened to me a few times, the cath was to thick I guess and my muscle was very tight so i pushed it in a little hard.
    I have pain and some blood when cathing. Could this be due to the urinary sphincter being too tight due to spasticity or something? Is there a way around this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    I have pain and some blood when cathing. Could this be due to the urinary sphincter being too tight due to spasticity or something? Is there a way around this problem?
    Continued trauma can also cause you to develop a stricture. You may need to have a cystoscopy to check this out if it is occurring most of the time.

When you are cathing and meet resistance (this applies mostly to males), you should NOT jab and force the catheter. Hold it firmly at the point of resistance without jabbing or shoving, and wait 1-2 minutes. The sphincter is most likely in spasm, and if you maintain gentle pressure it will fatigue and relax and allow you to get through easily. If it does not, you may have already caused significant scarring in the area, and may need to see your urologist.

(KLD)

One time when I was standing to cath, I pushed the cathether too in when I was almost done because when I push in further there seems to be some more draining of urine. However, this caused blood to drip out, I must have pushed the cathether too in and hit the bladder wall.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Continued trauma can also cause you to develop a stricture. You may need to have a cystoscopy to check this out if it is occurring most of the time.

When you are cathing and meet resistance (this applies mostly to males), you should NOT jab and force the catheter. Hold it firmly at the point of resistance without jabbing or shoving, and wait 1-2 minutes. The sphincter is most likely in spasm, and if you maintain gentle pressure it will fatigue and relax and allow you to get through easily. If it does not, you may have already caused significant scarring in the area, and may need to see your urologist.

(KLD)
    OK thank you very much for this information. Unfortunately for me I think I may have enough SCI injury to tighten the muscle in question, but not enough not to feel pain. So when you say "hold it firmly" that sounds really, really painful. I want to avoid pain. You know I think I first noticed all this once when I tried a coude catheter without instructions and I think I may have inserted it upside down but that was a long time ago.