Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Million Dollar Baby

Quote Originally Posted by MarkPals View Post
    I know what my choice is, may not be anothers. When I no longer find joy in living, I don't want to stick around just to get poor souls out of purgatory. Just as I feel doctors should offer the possibility of life on the vent, I also believe that there are worse things than death.
    Mark, these are the laws we have right now if you want to do it something about it I suggest you write to you congressmen and senators. Dr Kevorkian tried to help and ended up doing time for it. It is a very sad situation. I wish you the best and sorry to hear about your friend.
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

Quote Originally Posted by rcechser View Post
    Dr Kevorkian tried to help and ended up doing time for it.
    That was a total disgrace. I stood by Dr. Kevorkian because he was trying to help people fulfill their wish to die with dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    That was a total disgrace. I stood by Dr. Kevorkian because he was trying to help people fulfill their wish to die with dignity.
    Hey we finally agree on something!!
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

Sweet deal.

Quote Originally Posted by LTF
    Sweet deal.

Lucky you live in NH rcechser, makes the wedding easier. Todd, you'll have to move North
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post

Lucky you live in NH rcechser, makes the wedding easier. Todd, you'll have to move North
    Fuck that! It's cold enough in Louisiana during winter.

I thought they really screwed up in the medical details of the movie, it was suppose to be current times as I remember, but the medical technology was like it was back in the 70's or the early 80's. I know many people with high level injuries who live happy and productive lives, it does not always mean "the end" as the movie portrays.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curt, of course you know that the movie was based on a short story published in 2001 that takes place in the 1950s (from Rope Burns by Jerry Boyd aka F.X. Toole) . Not sure why Eastwood did not choose to update it when he made it. I also was horrified at the inaccuracies...down to how fake the pressure ulcers, trach, and vent looked to her total lack of any rehab and leaving her in bed all the time. I never caught who Eastwood used as a technical consultant...whoever it was should be ashamed of themselves (I know he did not ask me!!).

When I saw it as a sneak with the Cinema Society when it first came out I arranged to have one of my clients with a C4 injury attend as a speaker after the film. He told the 800 members that it was totally fake...that we never let him lay around in bed all day, but insisted that he get up in a chair, go to several hours of therapy a day, go on recreation outings, eat in the dining room, etc. He also told them that he had thought about suicide in the ICU, but that once he saw what he could still do, and that he could still be a dad to his kids, he did not want that any longer. He has been injured for 17 years now.

(KLD)

SCI and suicide. Mmmm.. an interesting combination of topics. Are you reading this, Major Hasan?

As advanced and informed as the medical field is now, compared to the fifties, seventies . . . . hell, even the nineties, I still managed to get a stage 4 ulcer on my coccxyx in ICU at a supposedly very reputable SCI hospital. So it isn't overly far fetched that these sores still occur. And, since when did Hollywood get their facts accurate over the sacrifice of embellishing on a good story?

I get the point of those who were upset about the movie and it's moral terpitude, but these issues are raised all the time after catastrophic injuries, whether we like facing it or not. Most on here choose to get past it and live their lives to the fullest, while others don't.

I saw this movie first as an AB, and was completely in the dark regarding SCI and anything to do with the disabled in general. Looking at it from someone who's been on both sides of the fence, I can honestly say the movie is still thought provoking and honest, in my mind.