Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Thank you, Canada!

As a new member, I really appreciate the posts in this thread from many of you who have been on this journey far longer than me. This is an open, respectful and frank discussion among many of the core members who influence the CC community, and that influence is by and large being exerted in a positive way. Anyway, thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Many people are afraid to let themselves believe in cure. They just can't handle the let-down.
    Exactly FO exactly !!

Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I agree with Dr. Young that we need to resist both optimism and pessimism that goes beyond the evidence presented by eachnew piece of Cure related news. I also agree that we need to get off the Cure roller coaster. But rather than a train, I see the Cure effort as being a Dragon Boat which needs us all rowing together if we want to reach our desired destination.

Cynicism and despair, no matter how well rationalized, are the enemies of hope. Is there anyone here who believes that abandoning hope will free them from the prison of SCI? Sour grapes are bitter fruit, indeed!
    ..... and then I'm lifted up by this .... Foolish you should be required reading for all the newbies here .... thank you so much for your sober second thoughts {{{hug}}} !!

Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnifer
    Besides, my walking friends are tired of my attempts at advocacy and have told me such ... that I should be thankful for what I have. I decided that they win, and they're right.
    This is what I have experienced, but you stated it much better than I could. I finally caught the look in someone's eyes a few years ago, and realized what I had become.
    Last edited by Schmeky; 02-04-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone View Post
    ..... and then I'm lifted up by this .... Foolish you should be required reading for all the newbies here .... thank you so much for your sober second thoughts {{{hug}}} !!

Obie
    Thanks Obie, hugs are manna that feed the spirit of this old fool.

I'd like to elaborate on why I prefer the symbolism of a Dragon Boat, rather than a train, in reference to getting to whatever one may define as Cure.

I once asked Dr. Young if he now felt that a Cure was inevitable given that the scientific community has mostly shifted their paradigm from formerly thinking that a reversal of paralysis was impossible to now believing that it may be an achievable feat. Being a thoughtful man, he took some time to consider the question before reply. My understanding of his answer is that things are more promising than ever before, but that he could envision several scenarios where the progress could be slowed, postponed, or even lost. This was very sobering knowing that Dr. Young is absolutely, unwaveringly committed to Cure, but very informative in assessing the reality.

I consider myself an incurable optimist. But I am no idle dreamer wearing rose colored glasses. Cure progress is not yet an unstoppable rolling train that we can just climb aboard and ride down an established track to Cure. It is much more like a Dragon Boat navigating difficult and uncharted seas. We need everyone rowing together to move forward to where we want to go. There is no room for passive passengers, just rowers leaning to the oars with all their might. I do so understand the frustration and doubt in our community. I also relate to the anger. Some of the most pessimistic now have been (and are still) among the most interested and positive contributors. I accept their anger as a needed defense against utter despair. No one should be patient with the pace of Cure. Neither should we direct our anger and frustration at the home team. "The beatings will continue until morale improves".

As a fool, it is my nature to see humor in the darkest reality. But I know too well that SCI and the suffering it creates is no joke. Still, we can dare to hope. We MUST dare to continue to hope. I honestly and sincerely believe that there is solid evidence to believe that Cure is not only possible, it is HIGHLY likely. If our community is willing to all row together, CURE is inevitable!
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 02-04-2010 at 12:18 PM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

hey, excellent post; we've got to stick together and get this thing going.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Besides, my walking friends are tired of my attempts at advocacy and have told me such ... that I should be thankful for what I have. I decided that they win, and they're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    This is what I have experienced, but you stated it much better than I could. I finally caught the look in someone's eyes a few years ago, and realized what I had become.

Sometimes the people who support my fundraising efforts are more enthusiastic and hopeful than I am. If I was to quit participating in it they would try to get me to keep going.

I think that it is because I was such a strong, hardworking, independent kind of guy before that they see my paralysis as a terrible injustice that should be somehow righted.

Unfortunately now that Rick Hansen’s Wheels in Motion has drifted strongly away from cure to providing sports equipment and other “Quality of Life Projects” I have lost my urge to put in the efforts I have in the past. If anyone knows of any other well organized, Canadian based research organization that would do more with the money I raise please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    I think you and Jennifer deserve to find better friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post

Sometimes the people who support my fundraising efforts are more enthusiastic and hopeful than I am. If I was to quit participating in it they would try to get me to keep going.

I think that it is because I was such a strong, hardworking, independent kind of guy before that they see my paralysis as a terrible injustice that should be somehow righted.

Unfortunately now that Rick Hansen’s Wheels in Motion has drifted strongly away from cure to providing sports equipment and other “Quality of Life Projects” I have lost my urge to put in the efforts I have in the past. If anyone knows of any other well organized, Canadian based research organization that would do more with the money I raise please let me know.
    I have the same kind of friends you have. We are lucky.

You should consider to give the money you raise directly to a researcher you know personally and you trust.

Foolish, I think I've never wanted you more.

I've been struggling in very recent days with my feelings on this. I just needed a little rest post-marathon and time to refresh. Thank you.

Thanks Obie, hugs are manna that feed the spirit of this old fool.

I'd like to elaborate on why I prefer the symbolism of a Dragon Boat, rather than a train, in reference to getting to whatever one may define as Cure.

I once asked Dr. Young if he now felt that a Cure was inevitable given that the scientific community has mostly shifted their paradigm from formerly thinking that a reversal of paralysis was impossible to now believing that it may be an achievable feat. Being a thoughtful man, he took some time to consider the question before reply. My understanding of his answer is that things are more promising than ever before, but that he could envision several scenarios where the progress could be slowed, postponed, or even lost. This was very sobering knowing that Dr. Young is absolutely, unwaveringly committed to Cure, but very informative in assessing the reality.

I consider myself an incurable optimist. But I am no idle dreamer wearing rose colored glasses. Cure progress is not yet an unstoppable rolling train that we can just climb aboard and ride down an established track to Cure. It is much more like a Dragon Boat navigating difficult and uncharted seas. We need everyone rowing together to move forward to where we want to go. There is no room for passive passengers, just rowers leaning to the oars with all their might. I do so understand the frustration and doubt in our community. I also relate to the anger. Some of the most pessimistic now have been (and are still) among the most interested and positive contributors. I accept their anger as a needed defense against utter despair. No one should be patient with the pace of Cure. Neither should we direct our anger and frustration at the home team. "The beatings will continue until morale improves".

As a fool, it is my nature to see humor in the darkest reality. But I know too well that SCI and the suffering it creates is no joke. Still, we can dare to hope. We MUST dare to continue to hope. I honestly and sincerely believe that there is solid evidence to believe that Cure is not only possible, it is HIGHLY likely. If our community is willing to all row together, CURE is inevitable!