Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 110

Thread: Thank you, Canada!

  1. #41
    You beauty!! Obama calling in to watch a Collingwood game and some fair dinkum good news on helping us get out of this bloody nightmare!!!!

  2. #42
    Senior Member DA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    beaumont tx usa
    Posts
    32,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Tufelhunden View Post
    I'm really surprised more people aren't reacting to this in a positive way...this is awesome news. Especially the bit about the lack of neuropathic pain.
    many of us heard this before. dr green said 5 years ago he would bet everything that in 5 years his combo would be helping humans. dr green had us all fooled.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    many of us heard this before. dr green said 5 years ago he would bet everything that in 5 years his combo would be helping humans. dr green had us all fooled.
    You are the man, rollipram...

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    The embargo's lifted, so...

    Michael Fehlings et al. have a study in tomorrow's Journal of Neuroscience reporting that the combination of chondroitinase, two three growth factors, and NPCs restores greater function than NPCs alone. It also shows that the functional restoration occured without a corresponding increase in neuropathic pain.

    I find this exciting because a) it justifies the use of combination therapies in humans, b) it's the beginning of [what I suspect will be] a string of results of various combination therapies, and c) it shows that the various SCINets will have a validated pipeline of combinations to choose from for human application.

    From the paper's intro:

    This is exciting. Not just this specific study, but the trajectory of the SCI research field is exciting.

    This study is only the beginning. Within two years (by 1/1/2012), I'm confident that at least one combination therapy that includes neuron replacement will prove effective in animal models. By the end of 2012 (i.e., 12/31/2012), I'm confident that at least one combination therapy will bring significant functional return in humans.

    This will happen.

    Support your local scientists.

    Support your local SCINet.

    Steven,

    thanks for the info. I also agree with what you are saying. I have been thinking that for a while now.
    We need to restore hope in people with SCI now that hope is more realistic then ever.

    Paolo

  5. #45
    Senior Member Schmeky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    West Monroe, LA, USA
    Posts
    3,416
    Steven,

    Thanks for posting this, and it does indeed sound like good news. However, I'm afraid I've heard similar news in the past several times, and after a few years, it withers away.

    This is not directed at you in any way. I do hope this moves forward, but I am in the "I'll believe it when I see it camp".

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    many of us heard this before. dr green said 5 years ago he would bet everything that in 5 years his combo would be helping humans. dr green had us all fooled.
    If you give up hope you are a looser!! I know you are not, so try to restore hope here, this is the cure forum, as you said more then once.
    The fact that someone fooled us should not take our hope away.
    Who lose hope it's a looser for me.

    For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.Sir Winston Churchill, speech at the Lord Mayor's banquet, London, November 9, 1954

    Paolo

  7. #47
    Senior Member DA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    beaumont tx usa
    Posts
    32,389
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    If you give up hope you are a looser!! I know you are not, so try to restore hope here, this is the cure forum, as you said more then once.
    The fact that someone fooled us should not take our hope away.
    Who lose hope it's a looser for me.

    For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.Sir Winston Churchill, speech at the Lord Mayor's banquet, London, November 9, 1954

    Paolo
    im not trying to take away hope. doctors are already doing a good job doing tyhat.
    i am saying medical breakthroughs never help anyone. medical breakithroughs won't hyelp you, or me, or any living human. over the past 15 years i have seen hundreds of medical break throughs in sci. yet not 1 of them is helping any of us. we need to stop letting them us medical breakthroughs to screen us from the truth.

  8. #48

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    im not trying to take away hope. doctors are already doing a good job doing tyhat.
    i am saying medical breakthroughs never help anyone. medical breakithroughs won't hyelp you, or me, or any living human. over the past 15 years i have seen hundreds of medical break throughs in sci. yet not 1 of them is helping any of us. we need to stop letting them us medical breakthroughs to screen us from the truth.
    DA,

    Stop this! You haven't read this study and you are condemning it already. You have not seen hundreds of breakthroughs and the reason that none of these are in people is not because the findings are wrong but because we have not had the necessary support and resources to do clinical trials. Your negativity is not helping and is very harmful and wrong.

    Wise.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Tufelhunden View Post
    I'm really surprised more people aren't reacting to this in a positive way...this is awesome news. Especially the bit about the lack of neuropathic pain.
    Tufelhunden,

    I don't think that people should be popping champagne corks yet. I just posted a strong rebuke of DA for his irrational negativity but, at the same time, I want to say that we should not be opening champagne bottles and jumping overboard yet.

    This is just an animal study published in a good journal. It is a long ways from clinical trial. The study needs to be replicated. There is as yet no immune-compatible source of neuroprogenitor cells (NPCs) for human use, although there was a recent report that such cells can be induced from skin cells. Chondroitinase has to be developed for human use.

    The part about no neuropathic pain is interesting and important. It would have been a deal-killer if the rats showed evidence of greater neuropathic pain. On the other hand, most of the regenerative therapies have not produced increased neuropathic pain (that I know of).

    Let's stop riding the cure roller coaster. Let's think of it as a train. We are making progress.

    Wise.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-25-2007, 03:31 PM
  2. It's so hot in Canada!!!
    By Obieone in forum Life
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2006, 10:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •