Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Thank you, Canada!

PS why is this thread in the cure forum? Can omniscient DA tell?

Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    just great steven. 4 more days of hate messages.
    Take it this way: 4 more days of fun!

If you try to be nice I will try to help you in the future

Maybe we need two separate Cure forums. One could be for people who want to fight for the Cure. One could be for people who want to fight about the Cure.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Maybe we need two separate Cure forums. One could be for people who want to fight for the Cure. One could be for people who want to fight about the Cure.
    why cant we not pull politics and trash into this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    does DA?
    only if we do it together, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    why cant we not pull politics and trash into this forum?
    I appears you already have.

( And if you actually meant that double negative...never mind.)
    Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

The embargo's lifted, so...

Michael Fehlings et al. have a study in tomorrow's Journal of Neuroscience reporting that the combination of chondroitinase, two three growth factors, and NPCs restores greater function than NPCs alone. It also shows that the functional restoration occured without a corresponding increase in neuropathic pain.

I find this exciting because a) it justifies the use of combination therapies in humans, b) it's the beginning of [what I suspect will be] a string of results of various combination therapies, and c) it shows that the various SCINets will have a validated pipeline of combinations to choose from for human application.

From the paper's intro:

Repair of the chronically injured spinal cord is inherently challenging due to multiple factors, including cellular loss, a cystic cavity that disrupts axonal pathways, and the inhibitory influence of the glial scar (Silver and Miller, 2004; Thuret et al., 2006). Therefore, treatment of chronic spinal cord injury (SCI) will require a multifaceted strategy. To date, no successful functional treatment for contusive chronic SCI has been achieved. . . .

Here, in a chronic model of compressive SCI in rodents, we disturbed CSPGs with intrathecal infusion of chondroitinase ABC (ChABC) for 7 d. Then, we transplanted the same chronically injured rats with NPCs and transiently supplemented the spinal cord with the intrathecal infusion of a GF cocktail containing epidermal growth factors (EGF), fibroblast growth factor (bFGF), and platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF-AA). We provide strong evidence that this combinatorial approach markedly increases the long-term survival of NPCs and greatly optimizes their migration and integration in the chronically injured spinal cord. Furthermore, we demonstrate multiple mechanisms by which this combinatorial strategy facilitates neuroanatomical plasticity of the chronically injured spinal with improved locomotor recovery and without promoting aberrant plasticity of spinal cord pain pathways or exacerbating posttraumatic neuropathic pain.
    This is exciting. Not just this specific study, but the trajectory of the SCI research field is exciting.

This study is only the beginning. Within two years (by 1/1/2012), I'm confident that at least one combination therapy that includes neuron replacement will prove effective in animal models. By the end of 2012 (i.e., 12/31/2012), I'm confident that at least one combination therapy will bring significant functional return in humans.

This will happen.

Support your local scientists.

Support your local SCINet.

...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

huh. I'd kinda given up on getting any cure within 5-10 years of my injury. This is hopeful.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

I'm really surprised more people aren't reacting to this in a positive way...this is awesome news. Especially the bit about the lack of neuropathic pain.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Many people are afraid to let themselves believe in cure. They just can't handle the let-down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tufelhunden View Post
    I'm really surprised more people aren't reacting to this in a positive way...this is awesome news. Especially the bit about the lack of neuropathic pain.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg