Thread: Show on CBS tonight

Show on CBS tonight

I got this e-mail from a buddy at PLM. I have seen the trailer for it, and we will have to see how they handle it. The previews look pretty upbeat and positive, and a lot of PALS have expressed concerns that it will not show the devastation of the disease. It was filmed over a year ago, and Rog looks to be in pretty good shape. I just feel, as most of you do about SCI, that the more awareness of the issue the better it is. I just hope they show an honest offering of the day to day struggle.

Let me know what you think, will you?

A new show to air on CBS January 28, 2010. It follows our family through adventures, along with living with ALS. The show is called Live for the Moment and is meant to be inspirational. Even in extreme adversity, maintaining a positive attitude is of upmost importance. Our hope is that this episode will give a ton of awareness to ALS. We worked with Jeff Probst from Survivor and executive producers Denise Cramsey and Mark Burnett to produce this new pilot episode. CBS will run promotions, but we need your help to get the word out. This episode will focus on ALS, but if it becomes a series, it could cover and bring exposure to many other diseases (many of which are covered on patientslikeme) or with people who are hit with major life changing events in their lives. We are contacting the key public relations personnel at ALSTDI, MDA and ALSA. We have a facebook fan page that we invite you to join under the name "Live for the Moment - LFTM".

I have been a part of this forum for years now and consider it extremely important. Personnel at ALSA and ALS TDI have previewed the show and say that it is one of the best that they have seen. People in these organizations would certainly know how we all feel. "Live for the Moment" was shot almost one year ago and we're extremely grateful for the opportunity. We've received the opportunity to travel and make memories with our family, but most of all, to achieve our number one goal of raising awareness, interesting volunteers to help ALS families and hopefully additional funding to find a cure.
    The show is ultimately about living for the moment even in the face of adversity or after a life-changing event whatever it may be. I thank God every day for a slower than normal progression, but since the show was shot, my arms and hands have become significantly more atrophied. My wife now helps me shower, dress and while I can start feeding myself, I usually tire fairly quickly and she finishes feeding me. No one understands better than us PALS the realities of ALS, but this story reaches a larger audience and encourages living each day to the fullest and as if it were your last no matter what your situation may be. Too many people wait until it's too late and may lose focus on what's most important in life (family) or on their dreams.
    I am an enthusiastic and optimistic guy. I'm not saying that ALS is easy, but I certainly feel strongly that it cannot be dealt with when a negative attitude is present. I have done my best to bring awareness and resources toward a cure for us all. I'll await the full airing of the show to comment further and hope you will find it inspirational. In a TV world that is showing crap like "Beavis and Butt-Head" Or "Jersey Shore", etc. I for one support any show that brings hope, inspiration, focus and family to the forefront...
    Rog
    Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

I'm iffy about it already. It sounds like the subject was relatively unaffected by ALS when the show was filmed, so the "inspirational" part is more about deciding to live a full life after receiving a devastating DIAGNOSIS, not so much while living with the reality of the actual effects of ALS.

I'll admit I'm biased against these inspirational "oh, isn't s/he brave" portrayals of people who do what millions of people who are way worse off do every day, for years and years and years. We do what we need to do, to the best of our ability. Some days it's easier to be upbeat, some days it's harder.

I'll see if I can catch it tonight. Thanks for the heads up.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

EXACTLY how I feel. It is like the soap operas where the guy is paralyzed and then a miracle happens (they even did it on my CSI-NY) and he can walk again. I will have to watch, but that is what my impression of it is too.
    Last edited by MarkPals; 01-28-2010 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    I'm iffy about it already. It sounds like the subject was relatively unaffected by ALS when the show was filmed, so the "inspirational" part is more about deciding to live a full life after receiving a devastating DIAGNOSIS, not so much while living with the reality of the actual effects of ALS.
    I just watched the preview for it & I agree with what u just said.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

I'm two minutes into it and I hate it already.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

I turned the channel and watched a PBS special on the Mission Mountain Wood Band.
    I can only stand to hear the word awesome so many times in one day without

Sorry I suggested it folks...it was not what I hoped it would be.

I haven't watched it yet, but I worked with Roger before he went out on disability, and he definitely is affected by ALS (primarily in the arms and hands at this point).

So if it sucks, I'd be inclined to blame the filmmaker rather than the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    I haven't watched it yet, but I worked with Roger before he went out on disability, and he definitely is affected by ALS (primarily in the arms and hands at this point).

So if it sucks, I'd be inclined to blame the filmmaker rather than the subject.
    I definately concur, Katja. Rog is a neat guy, and an active advocate for ALS awareness. I am really happy that he got to live out some of his bucket list, but the educational aspect that could have explained the ravages of the disease were not explored. It was a cotton candy treatment by the film makers...no fault of Rog and his fam.