Thread: suprapubic catheter

suprapubic catheter

Hi, I just recently got the suprapubic surgery. I am thinking about occasionally clamping it off in the future. Does anyone know a good website/med supply that has different types of plugs? I'm a c6-c7 so I don't have much movement in my fingers so I'm also trying to find different types of leg bags that I may be able to empty myself. Any ideas? Before the SP tube, my mom had been doing IC's for me for the last 2 years so this is all new to me, any advice would really be appreciated!!!

Hey, welcome to the site. I don't think it's recommended to clamp off catheter. Try doing a search for "leg bags" on this site, that topics been covered in depth.

Just curious, why did you stop intermittent cath?
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

While some people do clamp off indwelling catheters (urethral or SP) it is NOT advisable. It puts you at risk for autonomic dysreflexia, reflux of colonized urine to the kidneys (increasing risks for both hydronephrosis and kidney infections), and increasing the risk for leakage. It is recommended that you drain continuously into a urinary bag (leg bag or bedside drainage bag), minimize the number of times you disconnect the catheter from the bag ever, and maintain catheter patency by having a high fluid intake as well as irrigating only for blockages.

(KLD)

I got the SP because I couldn't do IC's independently. I had to rely on my mom to do them and I started college this year so I am trying to be as independent as possible.

I've heard that not everyone recommends clamping the catheter but my urologist also said that if I constantly drain into a bag my bladder will shrink over time. I was told that since I can sense when I have to empty my bladder (I have a tingling feeling) that as long as I release the clamp it would be ok. Plus I'm always going to wear a bag at night.

I am C6-C7 and IC independently. I was a spontaneous voider for 20+ years. It can be done. I use speedicaths which are pre-lubricated and fairly stiff, so insertion is a snap.

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    I am C6-C7 and IC independently. I was a spontaneous voider for 20+ years. It can be done. I use speedicaths which are pre-lubricated and fairly stiff, so insertion is a snap.
    It is much easier for males to self-cath than females. I know few women with tetraplegia who can cath themselves through the urethra, but a Mitrofanoff will allow most up through C5 to do so independently. jburrell5 is a female.

Your bladder will shrink less with an indwelling catheter is you take the anticholenergic drugs, and there is no evidence that shrinkage will be prevented by plugging the catheter...although plenty of evidence that you can do your kidneys harm and increase your risks of infections and AD by doing so.

Ask your urologist for the evidence-based research studies that support his claims.

(KLD)

I plug my SP tube occasionally for short periods of time. I know it not recommended but it can be done if it is you pay attention. Of course I mean a short time. Like about 15 minutes which is handy for showers and such. I use old caps from leg bags etc and just stick them backwards into the end of the SP tube. The nurses at my my urologist save them just for that sort of thing and they give me a few when I need them. They last indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It is much easier for males to self-cath than females. I know few women with tetraplegia who can cath themselves through the urethra, but a Mitrofanoff will allow most up through C5 to do so independently. jburrell5 is a female.

(KLD)
    I should have checked that - when I think SCI I think (young) dudes - my apologies.

I totally agree with SCI-Nurse Ty

Idea for Females -Especially Someone with very limited digits useage

I am limited in my hands and I prefer flip valve urinay leg bags or bard ones

Just trying to help
    Sincerely;
    Gypsylady