Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with anxiety.

Help with anxiety.

Hi,

I was fine last week until I had to go change my foley catheter. I got a big infection that messed me up. It had triggered my anxiety which I was free of for the last year or so. Now i'm afraid of everything and having this long panic attack, third day now. Can't sleep at all, i'm lucky if I sleep 2-3 hours now. Heart pounding hard if I try to sleep. Having these dark thoughts. Can't eat or drink too much it's a chore to do so.

Difficult to concentrate and I don't know what to do. I'm scared.

I have been on stablon for years now and it was working fairly well. This doesn't run in our family.

What should I do guys? I can't find a decent doctor here. Does anyone here get this? How can I get rid of it.

Sorry about your anxiety. I was wondering if you have Autonomic Dysreflexia? Pounding headaches or other symptoms along with your anxiety? Do you have a SCI rehab doctor (physiatrist)? Do you have a UTI? Is it being treated with antibiotics? When I get AD, I have a lot of heart racing, anxiety, pounding headaches, flushing of my skin, chills, and usually feel faint. I find addressing infection stops AD. Drink plenty of fluids, you don't want to get dehydrated. Have you checked your BP?
    Last edited by med100; 01-27-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added

No I don't have AD. I had a UTI which I'm treating now with anti-biotics.

I'm pretty sure it's an anxiety attack because I've been to the hospital several times now and they did tests like bloodwork which came back normal and my BP is normal too.

It's just that I feel down and frustrated because of the anxiety and not being able to sleep and eat well, I manage to eat just a little at a time. I can drink but everything is so hard and it makes me more frustrated.

I really need help. Aren't there any cures for anxiety ?

Yoga.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Unfortunately there are no 'cures' for anxiety, but there are lots of options to manage it. A good physician should be able to help with medications to treat the symptoms, while you work on the anxiety triggers and try to teach your brain a different way to respond. Different things work for different people - this was my experience:
    1. medication so that I could do the things I needed to do (work, socialize, sleep, etc).
    Two medications - one for everyday management (an SSRI worked for me), one for acute attacks (adivan, which I took only as needed - very infrequently since it can be habit-forming).
    2. found a good cognitive behavioral therapist to work on ways to manage anxiety.
    3. reading up on it, talking to others who experienced it and got over it, figuring out ways to 'calm my brain' (counting was helpful for me, as was exercise)
    4. when I was ready, I had a good physician help me ween off the meds.

A local mental health organization should help you find the best resources in your area.
    Good luck - panic attacks suck

Neo, okay, when you say you can't find a decent doctor, what type of doc are you looking for? You need to be able to do the basics, eat, drink and sleep adequate hours. I like Piper and Liz's suggestions. i took yoga and meditation classes ,helped me control my spasms, some pain and stress. I found this link http://www.adaa.org/finding-help/treatment. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    No I don't have AD. I had a UTI which I'm treating now with anti-biotics.

I'm pretty sure it's an anxiety attack because I've been to the hospital several times now and they did tests like bloodwork which came back normal and my BP is normal too.

It's just that I feel down and frustrated because of the anxiety and not being able to sleep and eat well, I manage to eat just a little at a time. I can drink but everything is so hard and it makes me more frustrated.

I really need help. Aren't there any cures for anxiety ?
    Neo, I'm sorry you're going through this...it has happened to me too,
    when I've had unexpected injuries after my sci. being reminded of further vulnerability is disturbing and seems to trigger a post traumatic stress type reaction.
    I couldn't take any anti-anxiety meds then and had to experiment with other methods.
    what worked for me was to find something mentally engaging that could distract my thoughts from racing around. i play a musical instrument, so that worked--learning a new piece, little by little,
    but I also had success from working on puzzles, like crosswords or jigsaw puzzles...my interest in solving the puzzles started to outweigh the
    feelings of unfocused anxiety.
    i see from your profile that your interest is graphics, so perhaps sketching or painting would be a good activity for you to do. in my experience it's more effective to choose a 'real' activity, not a virtual one, because it's more physically engaging and uses more parts of the brain, a better distraction. Since it's difficult to focus in an anxious state, try starting with a small project that you can finish and then challenge yourself to increasingly larger ones. You have to keep coaxing your mind into switching gears and you need to build in some rewards for sticking to it.
    Keep telling yourself out loud that you are going to be ok, your uti was successfully treated, and that you are going to work to stay as healthy as possible. When your mind races, try to focus on anything that's
    positive in your life and in your environment. Feed your ears and eyes with soothing or energizing music and beautiful colors, etc. Savor your tea...
    burn some incense...feed your senses and that will also distract the
    primitive/survival part of your brain which is overreacting and causing you the anxiety problem. Do some slow breathing, also singing.
    This will get better in time, just try different things and remind yourself that you can have more control over your panic. Read about post-traumatic stress and understand why it happens, understanding can bring relief, too.

If you can make yourself do these things, it can help subdue the anxiety. Take good care, keep writing and let us know how it goes.

MED100, Neo lives in Qatar, so US-based organizations aren't going to help him.

Neo, perhaps the doctor who prescribed the antibiotics could either prescribe an anti-anxiety medication for you or refer you to a doctor who could. That's the first place I'd start.

Yoga is good for many people, but it does require some range of motion that not everyone has. Meditation is also helpful, but I've found it to be an acquired skill -- when I'm really anxious, it's hard for me to keep my mind quiet enough to meditate.

The technique I've found that's easiest to do and gives me instant relief is progressive relaxation. It's nothing more complicated than tightening certain muscle groups, holding them for a minute, then relaxing and going on to the next muscle group. Here are some how to guides:

http://stress.about.com/od/generaltechniques/ht/howtopmr.htm

I also use controlled breathing -- slowly breathe in through your nose while counting silently to five, hold it for a count of five, and exhale through your mouth for a count of five. Repeat as needed until you feel a little better. This also helps me manage pain flares.

I hope you can find some help. I know saying it doesn't do much, but it is going to be okay. You're going to be okay.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

The nice thing about the ADAA weblink that I sent you Neo is it is not just about the US, but rather gives information about anxiety disorders which may be of "universal" benefit.
    I hope you feel better soon :-)

Anxiety is a treatable problem. You would do best to see a psychiatrist, or a psychologist who specializes in anxiety disorders. Talking therapies, learning specific relaxation techniques and methods, and medications combined can be quite successful.

(KLD)