Thread: Transverse Myelitis with dehabilitating muscle spasms

Transverse Myelitis with dehabilitating muscle spasms

I was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis in May ’08. I am a very frustrated 28 year old female that is looking to find out if anybody else has ever had similar symptoms. In the summer of ’07 I started running for exercise and after 0.25-0.5 miles I would experience foot drop on my right side. I was only having symptoms when I would run so I stopped running. In January ’08 I started having severe stomach pains and spasms when I would eat. The pain was so bad that I would be doubled over on the floor. I was unable to eat anything without having diarrhea or my stomach being in spasms with severe pain. I saw several doctors of whom nobody was able to determine what was going on. Over the course of the next few months I started having severe back pain that was completely unmanageable. I started having severe spasms in both legs (although the right side was worse than the left). I would be unable to walk or sit up because the muscle spasms were so bad. The only time the muscle spasms would stop would be when I was sleeping. In May ’08 I saw the neurologist to try and determine why I had foot drop when I tried to run and possibly try to understand why I was having such severe muscle spasms. The neurologist immediately noted hyperreflexia in my legs and clonus was also present in both legs. I was sent over to the hospital for MRIs with and without contrast of the CTL spine. That is when I was given the diagnosis of TM at the T12 level. I was admitted to the hospital to try and control the low back pain. I started having urine retention from bladder spasticity. I received 1g of Solumedrol for 5 days. I was discharged from the hospital after one week with a walker and having to self-cath due to the bladder spasticity. Two years later I am getting epidurals and botox injections every 3-4 months to try and control the muscle spasms. I am currently taking Neurontin, Dantrolene sodium and Zanaflex with Vicodin as needed for pain control. Has anyone else that was diagnosed with transverse myelitis had issues with severe dehabilitating muscle spasms? I do not have any problems with sensation or paralysis, just significant spasticity and muscle spasms in my legs. I feel like transverse myelitis is rare enough that nobody really understands it, but in my case with my symptoms being so different it makes it even more complicated for people to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Koolvball View Post
    I was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis in May ’08. I am a very frustrated 28 year old female that is looking to find out if anybody else has ever had similar symptoms. In the summer of ’07 I started running for exercise and after 0.25-0.5 miles I would experience foot drop on my right side. I was only having symptoms when I would run so I stopped running. In January ’08 I started having severe stomach pains and spasms when I would eat. The pain was so bad that I would be doubled over on the floor. I was unable to eat anything without having diarrhea or my stomach being in spasms with severe pain. I saw several doctors of whom nobody was able to determine what was going on. Over the course of the next few months I started having severe back pain that was completely unmanageable. I started having severe spasms in both legs (although the right side was worse than the left). I would be unable to walk or sit up because the muscle spasms were so bad. The only time the muscle spasms would stop would be when I was sleeping. In May ’08 I saw the neurologist to try and determine why I had foot drop when I tried to run and possibly try to understand why I was having such severe muscle spasms. The neurologist immediately noted hyperreflexia in my legs and clonus was also present in both legs. I was sent over to the hospital for MRIs with and without contrast of the CTL spine. That is when I was given the diagnosis of TM at the T12 level. I was admitted to the hospital to try and control the low back pain. I started having urine retention from bladder spasticity. I received 1g of Solumedrol for 5 days. I was discharged from the hospital after one week with a walker and having to self-cath due to the bladder spasticity. Two years later I am getting epidurals and botox injections every 3-4 months to try and control the muscle spasms. I am currently taking Neurontin, Dantrolene sodium and Zanaflex with Vicodin as needed for pain control. Has anyone else that was diagnosed with transverse myelitis had issues with severe dehabilitating muscle spasms? I do not have any problems with sensation or paralysis, just significant spasticity and muscle spasms in my legs. I feel like transverse myelitis is rare enough that nobody really understands it, but in my case with my symptoms being so different it makes it even more complicated for people to understand.
    Morning Koolvball; Just a little more than a year ago after we had experieced a minor flood in our house, I felt some changes within my already wrecked body. In general upper body weakness, and fatigue; and just being plain tired all the time. Around November of 08 my hands started to curl up, specifically the 3rd,4th, and 5th fingers on each hand. I had been previously been diagnosed with a neurological condition, and I believed it was coming to fruition. A week before Xmas after going to pick up our tree with our son, I experienced convulsive type seizures, and my body temperature sky rocketed in 15 minutes to 104. From that point on it was shock city, my back felt as if I was consistantly plugged into an outlet, with vibratory pain from the base of my skull down my back. My PCP didn't have a clue as to what was going on, this went on for the next 2 months when I finally was able to see an orthopedic surgeon/neuro background thinking it was cervical spine issue. Although there is stuff going on between C4-C7, this wasn't the problem. Shortly after, I saw a stellar physiatrist/professor who put 2+2 together with my test results and diagnosed me with TM. I might add that what made it so difficult to diagnose, is the fact that I was already a T-10 para; the first thing it attacks is your legs and mine were already gone. Its been almost a year, the Doc told me that I would be experiencing feelings that one could never imagine; oh was he so right. The leison was gone when they went looking, but everything else fit into place. At this point my hands are open but not fully, and I have lost partial use of 3 fingers on one hand and 2 on the other; the annoying electrical shocks are still hanging around. TM is not as rare as you would think, a month before I was diagnosed a fellow teacher of my wifes was feeling as if she has the flu, went her doctor; a day or so later she awoke to find that she was paralyzed from the neck down. I might add that she still hasn't recovered. I asked my doctor if this was "this generations polio, as the symptoms were very much the same; he said not quite as this was worse. Great!! May I suggest that you try the Transverse Myelitis Assoc web site, I think you will find more people from around the world in a similar situation; and more answers in their forum.