Thread: Attitudes re Octomom-Europeans especially!

Attitudes re Octomom-Europeans especially!

There is this British man named Duncan Roy. He has quite a colorful past, and an excellent blog. Yesterday he asked how readers felt about Nadya Suleman, the mother of 6 that then gave birth to octuplets.

Americans that commented were pretty united in their belief that delivering 8 kids, all the same age, is darned irresponsible. Sure, families may have 14 kids, but they tend to be stairsteps and able to help w/ care of the younger ones. Octuplets are a logistical nightmare imo! Also, Octomom wasn't financially secure when she embarked on this venture. Press, etc. have apparently made her so, but her parents have now lost their home with attempts to help her financially.

ANYWAY-Duncan says he thinks Americans are big on shaming. He said Brits wouldn't have been so judgmental, basically. He also drew some ridiculous analogies, equating octuplets w/ homosexuality and illegitimacy.

I told him, in a rather scathing comment, that I'd check w/ other non-Americans. Anybody have opinions? (If you read his blog, yes, I'm the one that called him a smug prick. Trust me, he's been called worse!) Oddly, 2 quadriplegics commented.

Duncan's blog-

http://duncanroy.wordpress.com/2010/.../#comment-1478

I have been discussing that in the Norwegian forum I use to write. I am sure nearly everybody thought she was crazy, doing it for money and publicity and nobody with a right mind with six children already and no husband would have given birth to octuplets. How is she going to feed them, how is she going to get them through school and give them the attention every child need.

Then the discussion turned and we discussed what would have happened if it was in Norway, we get money for each child we get, 7000 dollars at the birth and later about 150 dollar a month and most of the people thought it would be fraud for our social security system to get so many children without having the possibility to take care of them herself. Most likely, she wouldn't have been allowed to keep them but they would have given them to different foster parents.

So I don't think the people here would have been less judgmental than the Americans. I haven't read the blog so I am just telling about our discussion.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I think a lot of people I talk to are judgemental because 'she chose' to have so many embryos implanted at one time. If the pregnancy simply happened naturally she would have had more support.

Americans (that I talk with)are pretty well split on homosexuality as to those who see it as a choice and those who believe that it is part of a person's nature.

Illigitimacy, for the most part, is not held against a person anymore due to the recognizable fact that it was not the person's choice but that of their parents.

Any other thoughts?

I think Europeans are very judgmental.... about Americans!
    My son recently returned from a long trip overseas and said the amount of crap that you had to listen to from Europeans, especially Germans, simply because you are an American was ridiculous.

as far as octo mom:
    I blame the baby factory people more than her. What the heck kind of doctor puts eight embryos in a crazy woman?

Here's an opinion from a non brit, non american.
    I also consider the doctor who implanted her to be culpable, clearly she is not equipped to raise so many children. He was after the publicity and she is a bit of a nutbag.
    I agree with you Betheny, large families can help raise each other when they are stepped in ages.
    As for lumping in the other issues ????? he has a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I think Europeans are very judgmental.... about Americans!
    My son recently returned from a long trip overseas and said the amount of crap that you had to listen to from Europeans, especially Germans, simply because you are an American was ridiculous.

as far as octo mom:
    I blame the baby factory people more than her. What the heck kind of doctor puts eight embryos in a crazy woman?
    What were they judgemental about? I don't think you can take one or two countries and call it Europe. It is like being in one or two states in US and be sure nobody like Europeans. I bet the north and the south are quite different and the east and the west. Europe is not one country and you can't compare them.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    What were they judgemental about? I don't think you can take one or two countries and call it Europe. It is like being in one or two states in US and be sure nobody like Europeans. I bet the north and the south are quite different and the east and the west. Europe is not one country and you can't compare them.
    I was just responding to the point raised in the thread that a British blogger would call Americans particularly "judgmental", in light of my son's experiences as a traveler in Asia. he said that the Europeans were always lecturing him on American foreign policy as if he were a member of the State Department.

I know that Europeans are not uniform in their opinions.