Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this discrimination?

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    This is lightly of topic, but not really.
    My company gives employees $200 if they quit smoking. Shouldn't I, as a nonsmoker, also get $200 bucks. Or should I start smoking and then quit so I can get the same.
    I was going to suggest the start and quit for a week....

I work with a lady who has horrible COPD and not much older than me. She takes breathing treatments and is steroid dependent. She has never smoked a day in her life. Her parents were chain smokers.....

I think we will start to see this more and more. My parents chain smoked too.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

No, its the same as an insurance company reducing rates to a driver who drives less than xxxx miles a year. There's less risk involved.
    Dave

Recent studies have shown BMI to be a pretty poor way of judging someone's overall health, so I think it is not only discriminatory, but downright silly of them to do this. It has been well known for quite some time that the dispersion of fat is very different in people, and that pear shapes fare better than barrel shapes in things like cardiac events, so someone who is pear shaped, goes to the gym, doesn't smoke or drink may actually have a higher BMI than an apple-shaped person, and yet be far healthier.