Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KY law OKs volunteers to write tickets to placard abusers

KY law OKs volunteers to write tickets to placard abusers

I think every state should allow trained volunteers (of all abilities) to perform these functions! And, we need to police our own community.....I don't always use my chair or need access, so when I don't, I use a "regular" space. How many of us have seen disabled persons without access issues (no cane, no crutches, no chair...etc) use a "blue" spot when a "regular" spot is just adjacent to the h/c spot???????? How rude. So, we do also need to help other permit/placard parkers learn the "etiquette" of the blue spot. But KY definitely has a good thing goin' here....

http://chfs.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/0B29...forcement0.pdf

I would SO volunteer for this if they allowed it in my state. God, the number of violations I would write would keep this state in the black for years, to say nothing of the pleasure I would receive from ticketing the "only going to be a minute" or "who cares?" crowd.

Same here, Eileen! I alone could keep my county in the black! And I personally know at least 2 others here with complete SCI who would bring in big bucks for the county. What burns my butt (hey, it burns already, may as well be useful, eh?) is the idiots you mention above. By the time I get the alert the local police/sheriff, they're long gone and think they can keep doing it without consequences.
    Argh!

I know about 10 years ago, virginia beach let volunteers write tickets, not sure if it's still in effect or not though
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Certainly would have my vote, oh yeah, would love to see something like that up here. They couldn't dislike me anymore than they do now!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

This was really interesting.. Did you notice though the date on it was June 2004?
    One chart shows other places with similar laws, see Chart 3 (p 5)...
    Authority of Police Parking Enforcement Volunteers:

Photograph Only: Suffolk County, NY Richland, SC Andover, MA

Warning/Citation: Amarillo, TX Meridian, MI Hillsborough Co., FL Indianapolis, IN Kokomo, IN, Mesa, AZ Miami-Dade Co., FL St. Petersburg, FL Seminole Co., FL Fremont, CA Kitsap, WA Colorado Springs, CO

"Other differences in programs are in participation requirements. Some programs are open only to disabled individuals. Others have age requirements. Some require a background check. Still others require only that you be able to complete a citation and place it on the windshield of the vehicle."
    -Dusty

---C5-incomplete "walking quad", Dec.28,2005---

South Carolina passed a law enabling this a few years ago. The volunteers must be trained and under the auspices of the sheriff or local police department. In Columbia, the volunteers photograph the car and license plate with a camera provided by the sheriff's office. The vols send the pics in and the sheriff's office issues the ticket by mail. There were a lot of concerns about volunteer safety if a confrontation occurred. The problem is that a lot of local police departments do not see it as a priority and do not get involved with forming and overseeing volunteers.

As of January 1, the state has started phasing in photo ID placards to help identify unqualified users.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

they now need to start having signs saying

wheelchair users only

doc's have really gotten carried away at handing out these stckers
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

I had 3 people park next to me and block my ramp last week!

I'm using my chair part-time again, and agree that it should be only for those who need chair/equipment access. Too many good-intentioned physicians are handing placards out for stuff like arthritis and fibromyalgia. I have both, so please don't slam me. It's a matter of common sense to me; My fibro and arthritis and CFS and myofascial pain syndrome are 100% of my day-to-day life. A few steps more is NOT going to harm me, nor will a few steps less relieve any of my discomfort and pain.

A too-tight parking area for an unsafe transfer can lead to a horrible break or hematoma. If you've ever had to get into an office, retail store or other place (church, school, etc) and COULD NOT and have known the frustration (esp if you need to pee or have a boss who will rip your head off for being late) the you know where I'm coming from. We need advocacy with physicians in this area.

I think "blue" spaces for w/c access; and some "red" limited-ability spots elsewhere for all the others who don't realize how life changes when you're on wheels.
    Last edited by Draggin' Lady; 02-08-2010 at 11:34 AM.