Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SP2 for dummies

SP2 for dummies

A friend of mine installed sp2, it wreaked havoc. He had to reformat his computer and lost everything. Should I download this? Why? I'm skeeeeeered.

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

Here is an article on it in semi-plain language: PC Mag

I recomend it, but before you do fully backup your system and set a restore point, just in case.

I have had no problems as of yet.

I updated my computer at work and my computer at home with SP2. Didn't have any problems. It took a long time (between 30-45 minutes) and I had to play around with the firewall settings but everything seems to have gone okay.

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Walker, Oct 2003

My sister did that too, and now her comp is messed. I'm waiting for a bit to get it, to see if MS fixes it.

Did your friend try uninstalling SP2 before formatting?

I've been running SP2 on all of my computers since it was released (and before it was announced). I haven't had any problems, but there were a few changes I didn't like which I've since worked around.

I don't use the built in firewall, I have a hardware firewall and I run the Sygate Personal Firewall on the system. I highly reccommend the Sygate PF, it's not as bloated as ZoneAlarm and it has some more advanced features.
    _____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Jim:

Are you using the free version of Sygate? You are very secure with the router and the software firewall. It is probably a good idea to have both. However, some may have an issue with the demand on their system resources.

PN

To ALL, if you have any SP2 issues with your system after installing, Call MS at 1-888-772-4357, Free Call, and they will help you.

Yes I work at MS.

Don't Look at My Shell, Look at ME!

Originally posted by Paul Nussbaum:

Jim:

Are you using the free version of Sygate? You are very secure with the router and the software firewall. It is probably a good idea to have both. However, some may have an issue with the demand on their system resources.

PN
    Yes it's the free version of Sygate. It doesn't use much system resources at all. It definately uses less than the zonealarm firewall.

It does use up some cpu time when copy files on my LAN due to the logging. I could turn off logging to fix that, but I like the logging feature.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

i no longer update. im happy with my pc so why try to fix it. updates are like gambling, half of the time it makes your pc better, other half mess everything up.

When you don't it leaves hole that hacks can continue to exploit. Most of the time without you even knowing.