Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pet Nicknames -- What Do You Call Your Critters?

Pet Nicknames -- What Do You Call Your Critters?

We seems to end up with an insane number of nicknames for our critters -- their official name spawns one nickname, which leads to another, and so on. Some are obvious progressions (Punkin' > Punky Doodle > Doodle Bug > Bug), some have no basis is logic at all (Kindle > Cubby > Barnabus Cubbins).

We can't be the only people out there who do this -- can we?

Please help me feel a little more normal by telling me about the nicknames you have for your fuzzy companions, and how they came about.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Booboo Bear, Boo, Robust McPortlyson. Or derivatives thereof. Jill calls him Dinglebewwy. Jake calls him Fat Man. There's a pattern here, ppl quit giving the dog treats! Thanks for asking, Dingo is my favorite topic.

Her real name is bad enough---Squirrel.
    I didn't name her. I call her Squirrelly.
    My grandbaby 16 months calls her Ginger.
    That's their cat's name and to her all cat's are named Ginger.

My cats are often referred to as "the furry girls" or "my fairy princesses." In real life their names spawn nicknames because one is named Macushla, which from the Irish language can be translated as "my heart" and the other is named Gracie, for the true historical Irish pirate queen Gracie O'Malley, who terrorized the Irish seas and plundered many ships. For her "pirate queen" is a must.

Dunkin is DunkDunk, Drunkin, Mudpie, Dumdum, the white one, slider
    Betsy is Bets Bets, Besty Wetsy, Itsy Bitsy Betsy, baby girl
    Maggie is Mags, Magalin, Noofer, Magalicious, Maggie Duran, MAGGIE!!, and why are there dog bones hidden under my PILLOW??
    Last edited by addiesue; 01-25-2010 at 04:21 PM.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Betheny, your post made me laugh so hard I actually had to use my rescue inhaler. Robust McPortlyson is worthy of a clever names award.
    Last edited by thehipcrip; 01-24-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Mona -- I love the name Squirrel! It's perfect for quite a few of the animals who've been in my life, especially the ferrets.

Addiesue
    -- I have to ask how Dunkin came to be known as Slider. There's gotta be a story behind that one.

Eileen -- great names. My mother-in-law, an Irish cat person, is going to love hearing about them. The name Macushla just begs for nicks -- I nicknamed her the Cush Kitty as soon as I saw it. Is she the fluffier one?
    Last edited by thehipcrip; 01-24-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: add words I've left out

~Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    Mona -- I love the name Squirrel! It's perfect for quite a few of the animals who've been in my life, especially the ferrets.

Addiesue
    -- I have to ask how Dunkin came to be known as Slider. There's gotta be a story behind that one.

Eileen -- great names. My mother-in-law, an Irish cat person, is going to love hearing about them. The name Macushla just begs for nicks -- I nicknamed her the Cush Kitty as soon as I it. Is she the fluffier one?
    HipCrip,
    Macushla is the calico. Long and lean, and not at all like her shorter, fluffier, and far chubbier sister. There are times when I wonder if the shelter made up the sister story so that I would adopt both, as there is no similar body type they share. That's OK though cause I love them to bit. And yes, Macushla ends up being "cush, cushie, macush, and calico girl" Little Gracie ends up being "chubs, short one, and fluffball."

Maggie is Maggie May and Mag Mag
    Molly is Mo Mo, Boogie or boogs When she was two months old and we adopted her she had pneumonia which caused her nose to run. When we took her to the vet her nose was crusted over from running so the vet said oh she has a little bugger nose I use to call her bugger nose but decided boogie sounded better.
    Jasper (the cat) is Jasp and Jaspey. We also call him a few names I won't mention we only use said names when he constantly wakes us at night wanting in or out of the house.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Our dog's "real" name was Talapas (coyote in Chinook jargon); caller her Tally. She died last week.

One barn cat was called Nuisance; the next year her kitten was Nit (Nuisance In Training). Another is Stub; she has only a 3" tail.