Thread: Spent the month at the doctor's office..

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Spent the month at the doctor's office..

Or so it seems. Long story short:
    I finally caved in and had ALL the tests we are supposed to do on a regular basis. I haven't had anything since rehab almost 14 years ago. I just use the doctor to fix broke bones and to sew gashes up.
    I located a physiatrist in M'town. He hooked me up with various doctors who did the testing. One thing I want to stress is EVERY single doctor commented on how suprised they were at my condition after so many "unmanaged" years, lol.
    I had a bone density scan, kidney/bladder ultrasound, bladder scoped, and finally a colonoscopy.

Bladder- upon insertion of the scope he exclaimed 'EXCELLENT'
    been using a foley since late 96. VINDICATED.
    my life don't revolve around piss
    Kidneys 100%- no problems
    after my accident they were not in good shape.
    Bones- from hips down, osteoporosis I figured my pipecleaners
    were in bad shape...no suprises here
    the 2 vertebra between my hardware are almost transparent, lol
    between t4 and hips- osteopenia
    above lesion, all is good lil John has to be more careful
    Colon - all good G, ugly pictures, but what do ya expect?
    FWIW, that go lytely stuPH ya drink a gallon of to get cleaned out
    SUCKS! Went in thur at 2pm, started drinking at 7pm, started
    going about 10pm... Friday evening at 5pm I was put under
    drove myself home at 8pm Didn't stop crapping until late
    Saturday nite

As an aside, everything I own is clean now, no laundry left, lol.

My philosophy:
    I only go to the doctor to get fixed. Preventive medicine is where it's at.
    For entertainment while waiting for colonoscopy, I showed the nurses n doc what a 48 resting heartbeat was. Not bad for a lazy, pothead hillbilly

I am guessing that they didn't give you any anesthesia for the colonosopy since you drove home right after the procedure. I wanted the anesthesia, but the GI doctor didn't think it was necessary. He was soooo wrong! I am an incomplete SCI and cried from the pain and discomfort. I wanted to slap him. But sadly he is also in a chair with an SCI injury. Just imagine being eye level with your patient's naked ass as you scope him/her out. Must be good $$$$.

Glad you are okay.

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    I am guessing that they didn't give you any anesthesia for the colonosopy since you drove home right after the procedure. I wanted the anesthesia, but the GI doctor didn't think it was necessary. He was soooo wrong! I am an incomplete SCI and cried from the pain and discomfort. I wanted to slap him. But sadly he is also in a chair with an SCI injury. Just imagine being eye level with your patient's naked ass as you scope him/her out. Must be good $$$$.

Glad you are okay.
    My dearly departed old lady friend said that doctors tell you that things will be "uncomfortable" - because they can't spell excruciating!

Blog Entries
    I did receive anesthesia. I had the option of not, I almost didn't so I could watch, just not good at lying still for long. They always say to get someone to drive you home, yadda yadda, I drive myself, that's why I own a vehicle, lol.

Bladder- upon insertion of the scope he exclaimed 'EXCELLENT'
    been using a foley since late 96. VINDICATED.
    I know everyone is different, yadda yadda yadda, but as a fellow indwelling urethral cath user, your vindication that Foleys aren't necessarily the doom, death, and despair method of bladder management they're often portrayed to be does this Crip's heart good.

You may be a lazy, pothead hillbilly with SCI, but you're officially a damn healthy, lazy, pothead hillbilly with SCI. Congrats for the good news, and thanks (I think) for reinforcing all my rationalizations for putting off any doc visit that isn't absolutely necessary.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Glad to hear your doing ok Capn. Taking care of ourselves is so important, especially as we get older. Gotta keep doing those 30 mile handcycle rides for as long as possible
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Good job Captn! I like your philosophy, tell us more about your preventive medicine.

Ok, so u just reinforced my thinking. If your healthy and never sick why go through all that, right. If it aint broke dont fix it. 22 yrs post, only have hyad mri an bone scan in those years

great news thou.

Hows your skin caop
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    Ok, so u just reinforced my thinking. If your healthy and never sick why go through all that, right. If it aint broke dont fix it. 22 yrs post, only have hyad mri an bone scan in those years

great news thou.

Hows your skin caop
    Yes, ignorance is bliss for some.

Getting check-ups has a purpose...to catch anything early so it can be treated. If you wait until you feel ill, many times it is too late. This applies to both SCI related health problems (diabetes, heart disease, bladder cancer, etc.) as well as those that are not (colon cancer, prostate cancer, breast cancer, hypertension, etc. etc. etc.).

(KLD)

Glad to hear everything checked out good John. Hope things stay that way!

KLD: You are so right! Had I had health insurance, I could have avoided some problems and possibly be a bit healthier right now. I was lucky that a ct scan to check my vascular system found kidney cancer wayyyy early. That's one that is usually too late by the time you have symtoms.