Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I take two different antibiotics at same time

Can I take two different antibiotics at same time

The last few months I could feel that I had a uti coming on. I didn't want to take any antibiotics because I felt that maybe I was just colonized with no symptoms except smelly urine. No chills, no fever. Well last thursday I went to the dentist and had the last of the work done on two root canals that I am in the process of. I have been in pain ever since. The roots are gone so it's not coming from that. He put me on amoxicillin and ib prophen. I have been on the abx since yesterday and he told me to double up on the next two doses tonight. I have chills and a low grade fever. Ok sorry to ramble on so here is my question. Could a possible infection from my root canal and possible uti hinder clearing up the ??? infection in my tooth? Also, I have a full prescription of abx (macrobid) in my drawer that I never took. Would anyone know if I could take both abx's at the same time?

On top of all this I think I'm getting a cold with a small sore throat creeping up on me. I don't know what to treat: sore throat/cold, uti or root canal complications. Yuk, I feel rotten.

It is possible to take two antibiotics for two different things. I would however do a C&S on urine. Best of luck!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Due to the high cost of ammunition there will be no warning shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It is possible to take two antibiotics for two different things. I would however do a C&S on urine. Best of luck!
    I agree with Oldtimer. You can go ahead and take two antibiotics at the ame time. The fact that your bladder infection is occurring while you are taking the first antibiotic indicates that the first antibiotic is not working. I am not sure that a culture and sensitivity will yield very much because the first antibiotic probably have reduced the number of bacteria and you often cannot grow out any bacteria while taking one antibiotics. The sore throat may be from a virus. You should call your doctor and, if he/she agrees, take the macrobid.

Wise.

Sometimes too by taking the wrong anti-biotic for the bladder (but the right one for your tooth) can actually make the bladder infection worse as the resistant bacteria build up strength, Dr. Young taught me that from another post. What you need to do now is get on the right antibiotic now for the bladder, cipro might be a good choice as its a fairly wide spectrum antibiotic, but you should talk to your Urologist about this. Moving this post over to care.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 01-23-2010 at 11:46 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Of course, you can take two antibiotics at one time. Oftentimes, that's a course of treatment for an infection. The key is getting a doctor's advice on what to take. Some antibiotics work for specific infections, while others are more general.

yeah, but aren't you discussing this with your doc?

Thanks everyone for getting back to me. I feel much better today, no fever or chills, just a little sore where I had the root canals done. I didn’t take the macrobid because I wanted to see if doubling up on the amoxicillin as my dentist suggested would help, and it definitely did. Either that or an extra day is all I needed.

I didn’t think it was necessary to call my pcp for a c&s because the last time I went the strain was sensitive to the macrobid and I just never took it because I wasn’t symptomatic. I don’t like taking abx’s if not truly necessary. So I just assumed it was the same strain.

I have a great pcp but sometimes he just doesn’t get uti’s in sci. He always wants to prescribe a 7 day course of abx and I tell him that it needs to be at least 14 days. Also, I don’t think he realizes that I could just be colonized and not really need to take anything. I just take the script to keep on hand. Like I said he’s a great doc, listens to my needs and I think he actually has learned a little about sci issues through me. My urologist is 80 miles away so I only visit him maybe twice a year.

Thanks again for the replies. I feel much better but I won’t be dipping into the pistachios yes.

Quote Originally Posted by cara_m View Post
    Thanks everyone for getting back to me. I feel much better today, no fever or chills, just a little sore where I had the root canals done. I didn’t take the macrobid because I wanted to see if doubling up on the amoxicillin as my dentist suggested would help, and it definitely did. Either that or an extra day is all I needed.

I didn’t think it was necessary to call my pcp for a c&s because the last time I went the strain was sensitive to the macrobid and I just never took it because I wasn’t symptomatic. I don’t like taking abx’s if not truly necessary. So I just assumed it was the same strain.

I have a great pcp but sometimes he just doesn’t get uti’s in sci. He always wants to prescribe a 7 day course of abx and I tell him that it needs to be at least 14 days. Also, I don’t think he realizes that I could just be colonized and not really need to take anything. I just take the script to keep on hand. Like I said he’s a great doc, listens to my needs and I think he actually has learned a little about sci issues through me. My urologist is 80 miles away so I only visit him maybe twice a year.

Thanks again for the replies. I feel much better but I won’t be dipping into the pistachios yes.
    Cara,

You sound like you have the situation under control. I agree with you that many primary care doctors are not aware of the recommended approach to treat urinary tract infections in people with spinal cord injury and the patients often know more.

I agree with the principles that you have stated, i.e.
    • Don't take antibiotics just for colonization and wait until you have symptoms of systemic infection (fever or elevated white blood count).
    • Take the antibiotics for at least 7 days or until symptoms are all gone and a couple days beyond. This may take two weeks.
    •* Your personal history of response to antibiotics is often a useful guide. You should not escalate antibiotics until you need to. if macrobid has worked in the past for you, you should stick to it and escalate only if it doesn't work.
    • Dose is important. You should not conclude that an antibiotic does not work unless you are taking an adequate dose.
    • Taking two antibiotics at a time is okay, if they are acting through different mechanisms. Giving two antibiotics that act through the same mechanism would be like increasing the dose and may cause greater toxicity and side-effect.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    •* Your personal history of response to antibiotics is often a useful guide. You should not escalate antibiotics until you need to. if macrobid has worked in the past for you, you should stick to it and escalate only if it doesn't work.
    Dr. Young, the way this is written, it could be interpreted to mean that it's okay to go ahead and treat a UTI using whatever meds have worked before without doing a current culture & sensitivity (C&S).

My understanding is that you should *always* get a C&S first, and then use whatever antibiotic worked in the past as long as that drug is on the sensitivity list.

Would you clarify which is correct, please?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

What if it was a bacterial type infection and you had to switch to a different anibiotic? do you have to take an in between time before starting the new one.. for instance.. if I was taking Amoxicillin 500mg 3 times a day for 21 days and then had to switch to Penicillin 500mg 4 times a day for 14 days?.. is there a rest period I would have to take in order for my body to respond to immune system normal???