Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCI just keeps giving

SCI just keeps giving

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like if you can walk at all, you better keep on truckin'. I've been procrastinating on building a standing frame - maybe this will kick me in the butt and get me on my feet some.

Sitting Too Much Could Be Deadly, Experts Say

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

LONDON — Here's a new warning from health experts: Sitting is deadly.
    Scientists are increasingly warning that sitting for prolonged periods — even if you also exercise regularly — could be bad for your health. And it doesn't matter where the sitting takes place — at the office, at school, in the car or before a computer or TV — just the overall number of hours it occurs.

Research is preliminary, but several studies suggest people who spend most of their days sitting are more likely to be fat, have a heart attack or even die.
    In an editorial published this week in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, Elin Ekblom-Bak of the Swedish School of Sport and Health Sciences suggested that authorities rethink how they define physical activity to highlight the dangers of sitting.

While health officials have issued guidelines recommending minimum amounts of physical activity, they haven't suggested people try to limit how much time they spend in a seated position.

"After four hours of sitting, the body starts to send harmful signals," Ekblom-Bak said. She explained that genes regulating the amount of glucose and fat in the body start to shut down.

Even for people who exercise, spending long stretches of time sitting at a desk is still harmful. Tim Armstrong, a physical activity expert at the World Health Organization, said people who exercise every day — but still spend a lot of time sitting — might get more benefit if that exercise were spread across the day, rather than in a single bout.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I'm toast.......

I wonder if they did a study of someone stuck in a stander for hours. Would it be any different than sitting? We're still immobile. SCI sucks.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

I'm toast.......
    Butter me up and pass the jam, I'm right there with you.

Sitting shuts down your metabolism, makes you fat, puts you at risk of DVT/heart attack/skin breakdown, and wheeling about eats your shoulders. It does make you wonder why bother?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

didn't we know all this already?

Never so conclusively.
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    didn't we know all this already?
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    Butter me up and pass the jam, I'm right there with you.

Sitting shuts down your metabolism, makes you fat, puts you at risk of DVT/heart attack/skin breakdown, and wheeling about eats your shoulders. It does make you wonder why bother?
    I suppose because the only other alternative isn't terribly pleasant to think about..... I do understand how wearing this all is over time though, and have sometimes asked myself the very question "why bother?" So far I have always been able to come back from the edge, and hope I can keep doing that.

Thanks for the excuse. I get so bored by all forms of routine exercise.
    Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    I wonder if they did a study of someone stuck in a stander for hours. Would it be any different than sitting? We're still immobile. SCI sucks.
    Foolish

You are welcome. I despise my stander. It is over there looking at me right now.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Passing time standing by playing the Wii (or any video game) is a good mental distraction.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt