Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unitine forks

Unitine forks

Going to get a pair of unitine forks. Here they are if you don't know what they look like. I didn't order the 1.5" wheels for money reasons-- was going to use my stock 1" wheels. My question is should I have anyway?

Thought of another question... How do I know if i have wide or narrow forks? And are they interchangeable? (Meaning if I have narrow, can I change them to wide and vice versa?)

Edit, I have a swing away frame Quickie GTX. there's pictures of it on an earlier thread.

Never mind!! The lady at Sportaid mixed my order up-- she thought I was getting froglegs shocks but i'm just getting the unitines.
    Last edited by sam10685; 01-22-2010 at 03:45 PM.

I really like the 1.5" casters, but softroll is more important to me than the width.
    If your forks are more than 1.5" wide (measured from inside the two prongs of the fork), you have wide forks. If they're less than 1.5", they're narrow. The hub width of 1" casters is almost exactly the same (maybe exactly the same) as the hub width of 1.5" casters (the hub is narrower than the outer rim and tire), so if you have wide forks you can use the same spacers and just cram the 1.5" wheels in there.
    Wide forks can accept 1" or 1.5" casters (or narrower), but narrow forks can only accept 1" or narrower casters.
    You can buy replacement forks to change narrow to wide or wide to narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by EastRando View Post
    I really like the 1.5" casters, but softroll is more important to me than the width.
    If your forks are more than 1.5" wide (measured from inside the two prongs of the fork), you have wide forks. If they're less than 1.5", they're narrow. The hub width of 1" casters is almost exactly the same (maybe exactly the same) as the hub width of 1.5" casters (the hub is narrower than the outer rim and tire), so if you have wide forks you can use the same spacers and just cram the 1.5" wheels in there.
    Wide forks can accept 1" or 1.5" casters (or narrower), but narrow forks can only accept 1" or narrower casters.
    You can buy replacement forks to change narrow to wide or wide to narrow.
    OH! I don't know what I was thinking... i thought narrow/wide had to do with the stem and inner workings. Now i got it... Thank you though!

Have another question-- probably a silly question but just wanna make sure... These will raise the whole front end of my chair up a half an inch. That won't be an issue will it? It'll just be like adding a half inch of dump right? Don't think it will be an issue since technically my chair can be adjusted to have another full inch of dump but just wanna make sure having the whole front end raised a half inch won't be bad before I instal them.

It shouldn't be much of a problem. That being said, you will probably have to adjust the angle of the forks. That extra half inch of height in the front will change the angle of the forks - it's important that the fork is perpendicular (90 degrees) to the ground. Otherwise, your casters can flutter like an old shopping cart, which can be dangerous.

there are two different holes you can chose from as well as a caster to floor measurement of your existing chair configuration

done properly, your front height wont change

Excellent... my GTX manual says how to get them perpendicular to the floor. If need be I'll have the supplier of my chair instal them. I propped the front up on half an inch of phone books and I should have no problems other than getting the forks perpendicular. I'll see what the instruction that come with the forks say also.

Quote Originally Posted by EastRando View Post
    It shouldn't be much of a problem. That being said, you will probably have to adjust the angle of the forks. That extra half inch of height in the front will change the angle of the forks - it's important that the fork is perpendicular (90 degrees) to the ground. Otherwise, your casters can flutter like an old shopping cart, which can be dangerous.
    I was just thinking... How will I change the angle? It doesn't say that in the manual. The forks will be a half inch longer. That's what I should have said.

You can find instructions on page 20 of this manual:
    http://www.quickie-wheelchairs.com/f...NERSMANUAL.pdf