Thread: Treadmill Training

Treadmill Training

Hello All,

So I recently started treadmill training. The current programme is 1 hour 3 times per week. I'm looking to increase this to 5 times per week soon. I'm fortunate enough to have a hoist/harness/treadmill set up at home. I have a great PT on one leg and a sports keen kid from the local high school on the other. We are all new to this and we're having fun learning.

I've read a lot of research/journals/manuals but was hoping to get feedback from people who are actually doing it. What techiques work best for you? Dangers? Annoyances? Tips? Successes? Failures? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm c6 'complete', 1 year post injury.

Thanks,

Ruth

Hi Ruth,
    Not sure if this info will help, but we did treadmill training with the litegait in kennedy krieger baltimore with my 6 yr old daughter (complete T2/3) and got a good home program with pictures of correct handplacements and fitting of harness. THey tend to use three people to assist-one each leg and one preventing excessive swing at hips and ensuring weight-bearing. THey also used pillow cases to pad out harness in areas of pressure. However Noirin suffers pounding headaches AD within 5 mins of starting each day for nearly 2 weeks and we never did get a proper momentum.There were 2 possible reasons-1: She was suffering from dehydration and constipation- unable to cope with the summer there-and one knee kept slapping into hyper-extension-even with the best efforts to prevent this so i am reluctant to try at home but do have access to resourse-already have harness and have the offer of a body-weight support system but seeing this post might get me to give it another go. glad you are enjoying trying it out and hopefully it will be a good success.Feel free to pm me if you want me to send you on what i have. sonia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth P View Post
    Hello All,

So I recently started treadmill training. The current programme is 1 hour 3 times per week. I'm looking to increase this to 5 times per week soon. I'm fortunate enough to have a hoist/harness/treadmill set up at home. I have a great PT on one leg and a sports keen kid from the local high school on the other. We are all new to this and we're having fun learning.

I've read a lot of research/journals/manuals but was hoping to get feedback from people who are actually doing it. What techiques work best for you? Dangers? Annoyances? Tips? Successes? Failures? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm c6 'complete', 1 year post injury.

Thanks,

Ruth
    they do it at shephards in atl i would love to rig one up at home but......

Treadmill Training is a huge part of recovery i feel. You want to make sure you are getting the hand placements right to be hitting the proper trigger points in the legs and ankles. You also have to ensure the safety of your trainers. they will most likely burn out faster than you. Rotate them and try to get a third to help stabilize the hips. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. Im Mark, one of the trainers at Push to Walk IN Riverdale, NJ.

NRN Regional Training

Hi,

Your PT might consider going to this as part of their continuing education...it is a great few days of information with a lot of hands on practice if they have not done something similar. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

http://www.christopherreeve.org/atf/...TRAINING_2.PDF

~HTL