View Poll Results: When SCI is cured – what to do?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Watch TV

1 3.23%
  • Buy lots of food

2 6.45%
  • Engage in nuclear power discussions

2 6.45%
  • Read books

1 3.23%
  • Kill peoples

0 0%
  • Eat sushi food

2 6.45%
  • Educate

5 16.13%
  • Be nice

3 9.68%
  • Engage in sports

10 32.26%
  • Say hi to a cat

0 0%
  • Throw a PC out the window

3 9.68%
  • Eat more vegetables

1 3.23%
  • Give away

3 9.68%
  • Learn more

3 9.68%
  • Kill a rat

0 0%
  • Gamble on poker

0 0%
  • Be yourself

16 51.61%
  • Paint a house

3 9.68%
  • Rob a bank

0 0%
  • Get another SCI

4 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: When SCI is cured – what to do?

your poll options can all be done with a SCI, although maybe not too effectively. I am walking a beach, with sand squishing in my toes, right at tideline......for miles and miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Sushi? No cure for you, you are domed for ever and ever to continuing eating only the best prime ribs. Prime ribs was not in the poll.

OMG I have a roast like that in my freezer....I be right back...gonna thaw that sucker....
    1FineSpineRN

Wait a minute. If my spinal cord got fixed now, after 55+ years of having my body mutilated and abused in every way possible, I would probably by laying on the floor writhing from pain. It's either fix my whole body or nothing for me.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Wait a minute. If my spinal cord got fixed now, after 55+ years of having my body mutilated and abused in every way possible, I would probably by laying on the floor writhing from pain. It's either fix my whole body or nothing for me.
    I am with you..so maybe it becomes more clear when some people harp on things like focus on health and wellness and the pursuit of wealth that they are only trying to set the younger up for a better outcome?
    1FineSpineRN

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I am thinking the same as you, even if I am incomplete and have a low injury. I am sure it will be very painful and with a lot of nerve pain. I don't know if I want the pain. I have had so much nervepain for 20 years even if I don't have it now. Do I want that?
    TH 12, 43 years post

When SCI is cured I'll still be a quadriplegic, but hopefully you will turn your attention (and research money) to peripheral nerve diseases like mine.

Two points -

First: The question is clearly not meant to be limited: "cure" in this context means the complete body is restored (right, Leif?).

Second: The poll options are not really as silly as they look; they boil down to something like these:
    1) I would be the person I once was, with no changes,
    2) I would be the person I once was, but act with a better appreciation of life, and
    3) I would act crazy without inhibitions.

I expect just about everyone would choose 2).

Or - the options could alternatively be reduced to:
    1) I would do any of the mundane things I can't do now
    2) I would do crazy things

And now, answering for my wife: She would walk up the stairs to the second story of our house. Then we would fly out to the small airstrip at Pacific City and walk in the sand along the edge of the surf.

So is this a pointless exercise? Well maybe, but everyone, SCI or not, needs to fantasize sometimes.

- Richard

I'd hunt while walking the woods and fields from morning till night day after day wether it was winter, spring, summer, fall. I wouldn't need a car, I'd be walking where ever I went. In real life my Great Grandpa walked from MN. to Chicago then back to MN. and then to St. Louis and back. He lived to be just over 100. Thanks Grandpa for getting in some extra steps for me!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf View Post
    Two points -

First: The question is clearly not meant to be limited: "cure" in this context means the complete body is restored (right, Leif?).

Second: The poll options are not really as silly as they look; they boil down to something like these:
    1) I would be the person I once was, with no changes,
    2) I would be the person I once was, but act with a better appreciation of life, and
    3) I would act crazy without inhibitions.

I expect just about everyone would choose 2).

Or - the options could alternatively be reduced to:
    1) I would do any of the mundane things I can't do now
    2) I would do crazy things

And now, answering for my wife: She would walk up the stairs to the second story of our house. Then we would fly out to the small airstrip at Pacific City and walk in the sand along the edge of the surf.

So is this a pointless exercise? Well maybe, but everyone, SCI or not, needs to fantasize sometimes.

- Richard
    10-4 and well put. You are a smart and good bloke (like we did'nt knew). And I so wish you and wife fly again. You are right on all the above.
    Last edited by Leif; 01-24-2010 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by woman from europe View Post
    i am thinking the same as you, even if i am incomplete and have a low injury. I am sure it will be very painful and with a lot of nerve pain. I don't know if i want the pain. I have had so much nervepain for 20 years even if i don't have it now. Do i want that?
    Ohhh my leg.