Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Veterans Aid and Attendance Benefit

So true Quadvet, I've been in the system since 1970 and am still finding there are benifits available that I'm missing out on. Nobody says anything, you gotta dig and go home and come back and put up with the crap until they get tired of you. If your local PVA chapter isn't of much help go directly to the president of the national chapter. It does work!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

In most cases, veterans that are getting A&A either service connected or non- service connected are entitled to travel pay. Google 38CFR17.143 for a copy of the requirments. I just found out about it yesterday, too bad they don't allow backpay.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Title 38 is our bible, but sure is a bugger to search and decipher, then implement. Not to mention having the latest version. Here is a downloadable PDF from the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs site that should be current (February 2009):

http://veterans.house.gov/documents/title38.pdf

1139 pages, good luck!

Wanted to add this info regarding this subject:

VA Pension Benefits, lays it out:
    http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/pension/

Related downloadable forms:
    http://www4.va.gov/vaforms/search_ac...&Action=Search

It’s been awhile since I posted on this thread and quite a bit has happened. Within the past 5 years my mother, who is 90, broke her pelvis, had a hip replacement and now just this past summer broke her leg. It has been a very stressful summer, from making sure mom gets the proper care and me dealing with a few turnover of aids for myself.: which I would like to whine about in another thread but just wanted to give and share how this pertains to this thread,

As you can see from my posts, my mother is a surviving spouse of a world war 1 vet, my dad, who passed away from a service connected disability. Mom now is increasingly requiring care. She has been in sub-acute rehab since July and thankfully I recently was able to bring her home. At times it is not easy but with help we are managing. She is able to do some things for herself but some care is definitely required. I will never put her in a nursing home, especially since she has her mental faculties, as much as can be expected from a 90 year old. She has her moments of confusion but she still is with it and can maneuver short distances with a walker. You would also be surprised what an incomplete quad can do for an aging parent.

Long story short. I called the VA and they said she was eligible to apply for aid and attendance. I am assuming because she currently receives DIC. They told me there are no income requirements, not that we’re rich, but would need to qualify based on doctors assessment of how much aide and assistance is needed. The money they are offering isn’t much but would definitely be a help. When I get a response I will pass it on but wanted to let everyone know that the benefit definitely is offered to surviving spouses of service connected and is not income dependent. It may be awhile before I get back to you since the va said they are more than a month behind in their reviews. What a surprise lol

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Has anyone applied or is receiving these benefits?
    I am in desperate trouble and need help from anyone who knows anything about this.

The Republican controlled, Pennsylvania house of reps. has passed a budget that completely eliminates all Medicare or Medicaid supported, attendant care programs in the Commonwealth. Disabled and elderly individuals who receive care in their home are to be forced into nursing homes unless they are wealthy enough to pay for their own attendants. On average the cost of attendant care/per person is $24,000 annually but significantly less than the price of a nursing home to state government.

The wealthy nursing home owners, along with the oil and gas industry who payed to have then elected, are extremely pleased.
    They report that sometimes you do get what you pay for.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 06-10-2011 at 03:04 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

ELIGIBILITY FOR THE AID & ATTENDANCE PENSION

Any War-Time Veteran with 90 days of active duty, 1 day beginning or ending during a period of War, is eligible to apply for the Aid & Attendance Improved Pension. A surviving spouse (marriage must have ended due to death of veteran) of a War-Time Veteran may also apply. The individual applying must qualify both medically and financially.
    To qualify medically, a War-Time Veteran or surviving spouse must need the assistance of another person to perform daily tasks, such as eating, dressing, undressing, taking care of the needs of nature, etc. Being blind or in a nursing home for mental or physical incapacity, or residing in an assisted living facility also qualifies.
    Eligibility must be proven by filing the proper Veterans Application for Pension or Compensation. This application will require a copy of DD-214 (see below for more information) or separation papers, Medical Evaluation from a physician, current medical issues, net worth limitations, and net income, along with out-of-pocket Medical Expenses.
    To qualify financially, an applicant must have on average less than $80,000 in assets, EXCLUDING their home and vehicles.
    Contact a VSO in your area to get the ball rolling. There might be some confusion at first because the new A&A only applies to post 9-11 vets.

Go to http://vets.yuku.com and sign up to get real answers to your questions. You will not get any spam from the site and it is run by raters, former VSO's and people who really know the answers to your questions.
    Last edited by skippy13; 06-10-2011 at 05:08 PM.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Once upon a time, I had a PVA NSO tell me that I qualified for A&A benefits. I disagreed with him, but he said I did. He told me he would get me set up with everything. At the time, I was scraping by on SSDI. When I received the paperwork for A&A, it was asking all sorts of questions about whether or not I can dress myself, feed myself, etc... I'm a low-level para that still has use of my legs. So, I knew right away that A&A was not intended for someone like me. So, I didn't even send in the paperwork.

Well, apparently, someone else sent in paperwork for me, because I got a letter stating that I qualified. Of course, a good six months (or more) had gone by in that time. I was working 1-2 days per week at the time (to help make ends meet). I started going to school full-time and eventually stopped working. The A&A benefit was around $750/month, so it really helped in paying monthly expenses, bills, etc... (I still wondered why in the heck I qualified for the benefit to begin with).

As it turns out, qualification for A&A is strictly based on income level (NOT disability level). Because I had worked 1-2 days per week at some point, it turns out I did NOT qualify for A&A (as I had first thought). 4-5 years after I had that job, the VA sees that I had some "earned" income and decides that I need to pay all the benefits back. The income was about $1,200, but the VA decided I need to pay back $12,000. The Department of Treasury also tacked on another $4K for $#!ts and giggles. So, I now have a low credit rating and a $16K debt with the Dept. of Treasury.

Moral of the story, DON'T apply for any sort of benefits unless you plan on never working. Trying to deal with the VA in regard to such matters is almost hopeless. I now have a cut taken out of SSDI every month to pay back the debt. The PVA NSO that originally signed me up for the benefits? Long gone. Nowhere to be found. Good luck with your A&A!