Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veterans Aid and Attendance Benefit

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA

Veterans Aid and Attendance Benefit

This improved pension benefit allows for Veterans and surviving spouses who require the regular attendance of another person to assist in eating, dressing, undressing, bathing or taking care of the needs of nature to receive additional monetary benefits. It also helps Veterans who are in nursing homes or assisted living facilities.

The check for those eligible Vets is $1,632 per month. You do not need to be service connected either only serve during time of war.
    Wow thats a lot of bucks available for attendant care or whatever.

Most of us definitely qualify. Me as a Vietnam Era Veteran.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I havent seen the new rules improving pay for A&A from the VA. Could you post a link please?

I thought you still have to have a 100% total rating and then a 60% total rating for some other unrelated disability to qualify. It was only applicable if you have Special Monthly Compensation of level "L" or higher, but if that has changed, I would really be interested in the details of that me too as a Vietnam era veteran.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

I dunno man, I think that still only applies to service-connected veterans, haven't seen a change in that. Wish we had someone in the know to answer these questions. But I understand the conflict in interest that would insinuate......

I would recommend that any Veterans that have questions about their benefits and what they do and do not qualify for contact their PVA NSO. They are the experts in this area and can also help you with any applications or appeals needed. If you are not yet a PVA member, it is easy to join, and free.

(KLD)

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I read in the newspaper that the VA is adding additional groups of Vets to the eligibility roles for A and A Benefits. On most web sites, the only requirement stated was service during time of war.

I am applying when I get time. I searched VA Aid and Attendance and got boo coo hits. Some of them have the form numbers needed to apply.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Go for it if you can get the form numbers. I don't know if you can apply for it online using VONAPP, but give it a look see. If you don't have a VSO handy, you can try to do it yourself, but be prepared for beau coup paperwork.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I would recommend that any Veterans that have questions about their benefits and what they do and do not qualify for contact their PVA NSO. They are the experts in this area and can also help you with any applications or appeals needed. If you are not yet a PVA member, it is easy to join, and free.

(KLD)
    Thanks, KLD, and not to argue, but wouldn't my VA SCI Center social worker be able to answer these type questions? Thanks, if you can answer that.

Your SCI Support Clinic or Hub Center social worker should know this stuff too, but not every Veteran has a good one near them, and some are better than others in their knowledge of these issues. The PVA NSO's job is to be your advocate and they have extensive training in both what the benefits are and how to go about applying and filing appeals. Some people prefer to work with the NSO because they are not an employee of the VA.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Some people prefer to work with the NSO because they are not an employee of the VA.

(KLD)
    *lightbulb comes on*! I would have never considered this, thank you for making that point.

Aid & Attendance Allowance

An additional benefit paid to veterans, their spouses, surviving spouses and parents. This allowance is paid in all Compensation, Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) and Pension Programs.

How do I apply for veterans non-service connected pension?

You can apply on line at the following VA web site:

Use VA Form 21-526, Veteran's Application for Compensation and/or Pension

I searched hard, but don't see any new changes in VA compensation or pension for non-service-connected veterans, as it relates to Aid & Attendant care.

Last edited by quadvet; 01-24-2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: add form number