Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is living in Florida all that?

Is living in Florida all that?

My husband and I hate the cold. He can't go outside when it's so darn cold out and I swear I'm semi-depressed for months until the thermometer hits like above 45 degrees and I can go outside again. Another thing I hate is flu season....which leads me to one of my questions. Does Florida have much of a flu season? Is it not as bad as it is further up north at least?
    It's such a concern of mine because every flu season my hubby catches EVERY STRAIN OF FLU going around. Literally. He gets all of the flu shots he can get and so do I, but without fail, he gets sick repeatedly. I've concluded that in order to not catch anything we need to be hermits from like the middle of November until the beginning of May.
    So is living in Florida all that? Would it solve at least some of our problems? I don't know...I'm just grasping at straws here. We're both trying to get over the flu (his second round of it so far for this new year) and I'm so darn frustrated. We actually will have the opportunity to move in about one and half years when my hubby is done with school but we have no idea where his job offers are going to be. But really. Florida. What do you Florida-dwellers or otherwise think? Would you pick and move there if you could?

I moved from the North to the Southernmost part of the United States. I have no regrets. But we get the germs of all the people coming from everywhere else each winter, so there's no flu escape here if you get out to enjoy the weather and mix with other folk. I'd rather be warm and sick than cold and sick.

As I type, I've got the doors and windows open (75 F at 6:00 p.m.), but we did have two weeks of winter (reached 39 F - an all-time low). Check the historical climate data for any area you consider.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Ohhhhhh....I never thought much about the migration of sick people but now I'm thinking about the story my grandparents (from up north around here) were telling me about what happened when they had bronchitis during a recent trip to Florida. It's all making sense now. But my husband and I would definitely take warm and sick over cold and sick as well.

Don't think the flu is restricted by geography, as it is by the environment you live in.

This quad didn't function the first two weeks of the year due to the prolonged cold but I'm not used to it anymore. Born in Alaska and moved here from Boston I know what cold and winter conditions are like and don't know how you do it. My blood has thinned.

Summer can be brutal here, the heat can literally kill you. Though here you can always pour cold water over the head to cool down quickly, don't think if you pour hot water over you when your cold, it will have th desired effect.

Have told people if up north on an icy hill and lock my wheels, I will still slide to the bottom of the hill and not be able to push back up.

I'll take the two seasons that we have in flat Florida, summer and not summer.

It does get hot in the south, but you do not have to shovel the heat. And as you know, wheelchairs do not do well on snow and ice.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I definitely would chose Miami area over the Panhandle. "Winter" temps in the 70's-80's? Yeah, I can handle that. We had ice on the pool for 4 days straight here in the Panhandle (Pensacola) and not much in the way of jobs here either. It's making Miami look better all the time. I've lived in Pensacola over 5 years, and spent Christmas in Miami. I vote for Miami!!! (Great accessible shopping, too)

I bought a place down here a year ago this month. And,yes, I would say "it's all that". But you have to be careful.Just as any other state FL is not the same all over.

I bought with confidence because I'd been visiting this town for almost 20 years before I bought. I would suggest vacationing in any town you are considering buying.Better yet do as a friend of mine did years ago, rent a house for a while in any town or towns you are considering. Best of luck.And come on down.You'll love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Draggin' Lady View Post
    I definitely would chose Miami area over the Panhandle. "Winter" temps in the 70's-80's? Yeah, I can handle that. We had ice on the pool for 4 days straight here in the Panhandle (Pensacola) and not much in the way of jobs here either. It's making Miami look better all the time. I've lived in Pensacola over 5 years, and spent Christmas in Miami. I vote for Miami!!! (Great accessible shopping, too)
    That is a real pretty area where you live. I spent around 6 winters there in the Panhandle (Navarre and a few in Okaloosa Island and Destin) and really liked it a lot. Most pretty part of Florida from everything I've seen, the beaches are gorgious. Like you say though it can be colder than other parts of Florida in the Winter.

Anyhow, ended up in Venice Florida and live there now. About ten or fifteen degrees warmer than the panhandle winters, very wheelchair friendly and its a great place to live.

I do kinda miss the Panhandle though. I also miss being on the Ocean. I use to rent Oceanfront condos and you could hear the waves rolling in and smell the salt air. Where I live in Venice I'm further inland. Sitting out on the deck watching the fighter jets break the sound barrier heading out to the ocean for war games was kinda cool too.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Love Florida, hate the cold as it makes the neuro pain awful. Enjoy the light clothing, sandels and the lifestlye. Winter is so great down here, even the few cold snaps are bearable. I own a few sweaters, that's it. I also hate the huge amounts of stuff one needs to wear just to go outdoors plus the ice and snow is hard to get around in cold climates.

As far as the heat everything, is AC or ya go to the beach or cool off in the pool. IMO the heat in many other place can be more oppresive, say the North and Southern parts of the country where the heat can hang like a shroud, sometimes its even hotter than down here where we almost always have a sea breeze.

Pick a local or two and rent a place for a month of so. Be careful because all of Florida is not the same, each area has its own flavor and it quite distinguishable from the other. Most larger cities have the problems associated with over growth and all that comes with it so you may prefer the smaller towns. They give more bang for the buck and can be quite charming.

I have lived al over the state and know it pretty well, if ya want more info check out
    http://www.myflorida.com/ or PM me.

Pam

I know exactly how you feel. Each winter is making Florida look better and better. Or any southern state. California would be nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by greentea07 View Post
    My husband and I hate the cold. He can't go outside when it's so darn cold out and I swear I'm semi-depressed for months until the thermometer hits like above 45 degrees and I can go outside again. Another thing I hate is flu season....which leads me to one of my questions. Does Florida have much of a flu season? Is it not as bad as it is further up north at least?
    I had thought that flu would be less widespread in Florida. I had always heard that the flu season happens in the winter because people spend a lot more time indoors together(to stay out of the cold) and it gets passed around easier. So you would think the warmer states wouldn't have as big of flu problem.