Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: hey cat people

Well I hope he is ok.

It was funny, while the cats didn't like the vet to do anything, they'd often sit very nicely for the owner to do sub-q fluids. It's often much less stressful than a blood draw. Of course, your kitty might not tolerate it - but a lot of them do.

Fingers crossed Jack can be fixed up quickly and easily.

If you are unable to get a sample as the others have suggested, the vet can do a needle aspiration(straight into the bladder), cathing isn't a good idea as a uti will most likely develop if not already.

To me, it sounds more behavioral. Have you cleaned your bed linens & mattress down with bleach water? Sometimes this helps to prevent them from returning.

Note: for a long times vets deterred canned/wet food for dental reasons. Now they're pushing it for good kidney health. Just food for thought.

Most diabeticts I've seen are large..animals that is.

She got the sample - and he does have a UTI.

jack gets some wet food. He may need a different diet, but vet says cats dont like the kidney diet so it is better they eat what they want than starv. no diabetes, but thyroid and chronic kidney disease are a definite possibiliy. he has no worms or fleas, and good gums and teeth. I have only a bedframe againts the wall. no mattress. used enzyme urine stuff, and will use a pheremone spray to discourage returning there to pee, and to reduce stress. his was given an antibiotic shot and a steroid/anesthesia for the bladder pain and inflamation. Im on my way out to get fresh litter for all the boxes.

I had a diabetic cat once. she actually woke me up at six on the dot for her morning shot. and subQ fluids were not a problem for her either, but jack is not usual due to his having been beaten so badly. I like that this vet is really into cats. He was very kind and understanding with jack. I have not seen many cats who have been abused, . I have only worked with dogs and horses that were beaten. they are different. but this vet has, and says jack has the behavior of a cat that has suffered extreme abuse and obviously from a man with a beard. I knew about the beard. jack will have nothing do do with a bearded man. I think the vet tech will probably shave his off after seeing how jack was so terrified of him.

Awww. Poor Jack. and poor tech

Aw, poor Jack has had a rough day of it. I hope there's nothing more serious going on with his kidneys than this UTI. Hearing about his past just breaks my heart. So, so glad he found his way to you. I'm sending kitty prayers his way that he has a restful night, feels much better tomorrow, and gets good news when the full results are in.

And poor little Nuit! We have more than a few who freak out when another kitty comes home from the vet -- they get overwhelmed by vet smells and hiss, puff out, and pretty much lose it. Never had one shit itself from being afraid, though! Sounds like you've got way more than your fair share of kitty bodily fluids to deal with today.

CONGRATULATIONS on the new work you're going to do for your local shelter! It is awesome that you're going to give your time to the critters. I can't think of a better person for the job, but I can think of someone who'd like to do it with you: me! Socializing kitties would be a dream come true -- I loved the process of getting our feral kittens from bush cats to lap cats. You promise to report on your time at the shelter, okay?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    I have been trying to get a p.p sample from jack. he has been peeing on my bed. only my bed. now it is an air mattress on the floor. by now he knows what I am after. any advice on getting a sample from a cat? I took him for a walk today, and have been basically following him around with a plastic bag. he is crated with dried leaves instead of litter since he seems to like to pee in them when we go on our regular walks, however now he has decided it is his bed. so I put in another. no luck. he drinks a ton, and I can tell he needs to go. I know if I just opened my bedroom door he would pee on the air matress but dont want to encourage that. If let him out of the crate he runs to my door and is crazy to get in. he even peed on me with me in bed. vet wants a sample. he is not blocked. and it is not spraying. it is his whole bladder emptied on my bed. He has no fever. He is chewing the hair on his back, but has no fleas, and has gotten kitty acne which is why I think he has a uti. He has never had a problem not using his litter box in the past.
    set him on the bed with a towel underneath him, load a 38 with blanks and fire it off, if he doesn't piss, at least he won't come back to the bed!

edit
    okay, this was meant to be funny you all
    Last edited by brucec; 01-23-2010 at 10:31 PM.
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Jody, this is great you brought Jack to the vet today and found out he has an infection.
    I am sure you must at least now be relieved knowing you can give him antibiotics.
    Now the wait to see if he has a chronic medical condition like CRF as well. Lets hope not. But if he does, I am sure you are a great kitty mom and he is in the very best hands.

I had a few cats who lived for a couple of years with sub-q fluids with a good quality of life. The CRF food they gave me to give them was not a hit. But when they did not eat, I gave them AD by Hills, which almost always worked. Giving the fluids is not too difficult, altough it was tricky, (incomplete quad giving sub-q's) but it can be done.

Great job knowing something was wrong and taking care of it :-)Congratulations on working there. Nuit sounds adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    Aw, poor Jack has had a rough day of it. I hope there's nothing more serious going on with his kidneys than this UTI. Hearing about his past just breaks my heart. So, so glad he found his way to you. I'm sending kitty prayers his way that he has a restful night, feels much better tomorrow, and gets good news when the full results are in.

And poor little Nuit! We have more than a few who freak out when another kitty comes home from the vet -- they get overwhelmed by vet smells and hiss, puff out, and pretty much lose it. Never had one shit itself from being afraid, though! Sounds like you've got way more than your fair share of kitty bodily fluids to deal with today.

CONGRATULATIONS on the new work you're going to do for your local shelter! It is awesome that you're going to give your time to the critters. I can't think of a better person for the job, but I can think of someone who'd like to do it with you: me! Socializing kitties would be a dream come true -- I loved the process of getting our feral kittens from bush cats to lap cats. You promise to report on your time at the shelter, okay?
    thanx thc, yes you will be hearing about my adventures. and I will probably be asking advise from others here who have been doing this sort of thing. I really like this vet, and what he donates to the welfare of these creatures. the adoption fees are low, and the animals are all in good condition befor going up for adoption. he also runs the area disaster pet evacuation center, and rescued ten horses from a ridding stable that no longer wanted to care for them. the ones who could not be placed and were not suffering are still his. lots of feral kitties. he tries not to release them except for one colony that has been established for a while. people still dump unwanted cats, so he is trying to provide the no kill shelter to prevent dumping. they have 1-2 adoptions a day, and do follow-ups, and discounts on care of adopted pets.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    thanx thc, yes you will be hearing about my adventures. and I will probably be asking advise from others here who have been doing this sort of thing. I really like this vet, and what he donates to the welfare of these creatures. the adoption fees are low, and the animals are all in good condition befor going up for adoption. he also runs the area disaster pet evacuation center, and rescued ten horses from a ridding stable that no longer wanted to care for them. the ones who could not be placed and were not suffering are still his. lots of feral kitties. he tries not to release them except for one colony that has been established for a while. people still dump unwanted cats, so he is trying to provide the no kill shelter to prevent dumping. they have 1-2 adoptions a day, and do follow-ups, and discounts on care of adopted pets.
    a girl that lived with me back in the early ninties helped out at a animal clinic, next thing you know she was getting calls from alot of places to help out with squirrels and other pets people found hurt, doing it on her own and bringing them back to the house to get well. that really helped out, she ended up getting a full time job working with animals, which was great since that was her passion
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan