Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: hey cat people

well he did pee in the gravel, but I had too much in the pan and did not wash the dust out first, so hope I get it right this time. I am afraid it is kidney failer. though his kidneys were ok when he had his surgery a year and a half ago. again most cats with chronic kidney disease are thin with a poor apatite, but this is what I fear about my big ole boy jack.

Jody, can you get a urine strip at a pharmacy, and just dip it in whatever pee you can find? You can wring some out of a wet sheet if you have to. It's not ideal, but better than nothing - should show leukocytes usually.

A UTI is the most likely thing, although of course the others are possibilities.

If the vet cannot find a way to get some urine (which is frankly ridiculous) they can draw blood and run basic tests to check kidney function anyway.

Is there any other vet? Getting pee from a cat should not be rocket science for a vet. (I do appreciate it can be difficult for owners).

I got a nice clean sample by sneeking a flat jar lid under him. he had refused the gravel and just saved it so I gave him a clean box and he didnt even notice the jar lid. not nice looking peepee. dark and cloudy. we are one our way to the vet now.

I'm glad you got a sample. I hope it turns out to be something easily treatable.

Jody,
    In the rescue we have to express the bladder if they can not. The vets will charge you a mint to do it and for some reason it wont let me post it.
    Google
    Express a cats bladder
    its not all to hard
    hope this helps

he has a bad uti, however may also have kidney disease. no stones and good ph. he has gone from almost 18 pounds to 13. he was sadated to take blood so is very drunk. I got a picture of the peeping tom looking in our windows. the vet is going to lend me a motion sensitive squirt system to discourage the peeping from hanging round outside our windows. also I have a volunteer job at their no kill shelter now, and will be doing the rescue and adoption web page entries. as well as working with kittys that need extra socializing. I am excited about having something usefull to do.

I hope Jack recovers, and that his kidneys are ok. Even if he does have some kidney disease, with some nursing they can live pretty long happy lives in many cases. We gave a friend of mine's cat sub-q fluids (easy to do at home) and he went on quite happily for years.

If he has lost that much weight suddenly, your vet really should test him for hyperthyroidism - cats are prone to that, and it will cause weight loss and can lead to kidney disease.

Congrats on the volunteer stuff, sounds great.

nuit, the kitten is terrified of sedated jack, while strawberry is nursemaid, concerned and trying to lick his face. I have never seen a cat behave like nuit is toward jack who is trying to come out of his stupor. she is just petrified of jack. I had to give her a bath and put her in a different room, she is so upset she pooped herself, and is all puffed and spitting and if she had a voice would be screaming, but she just has a gasping whisper.
    Last edited by jody; 01-23-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typo

Don't worry, sometimes they do that. Just keep them apart until everything settles down.

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    I hope Jack recovers, and that his kidneys are ok. Even if he does have some kidney disease, with some nursing they can live pretty long happy lives in many cases. We gave a friend of mine's cat sub-q fluids (easy to do at home) and he went on quite happily for years.

If he has lost that much weight suddenly, your vet really should test him for hyperthyroidism - cats are prone to that, and it will cause weight loss and can lead to kidney disease.

Congrats on the volunteer stuff, sounds great.
    jack would need a port if his tests are positive he gets extremely stressed with too much fussing. the vet says it is because he is declawed and feels more defensless. He shows signs of extreme abuse in his behavior. I mean he has had the holy tar beat out of him so is hard to work with. His full blood panel should be back on monday. I have some video of him all drunk and of how the other cats reacted when he came home. poor nuit. jack looks like he has a headache, and is still vomiting.