Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: hey cat people

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    Jody, the fat-fluffy Moo cat is diabetic, and we need to get regular urine samples from him to monitor his sugar levels. It can be a challenge for sure!

Our best success has been with locking him in the bathroom overnight with a shallow box that's lined with a trash bag and a small scattering of litter. He will eventually use the box, and we're then able to pour out some urine from the box into a specimen container. He's stubborn and will try to hold it rather than use anything other than his regular litter boxes (he's so good about that), but eventually relents.

I'd never wish any animal ill, but in this case I do hope it's an easily fixable physical problem like a UTI rather than a mental/stubbornness issue. And I know I don't need to remind you to use lots of enzymes on your bed and linens so he's not attracted back there. Feel better, Jack and Jody.
    I love your moo. I just want to squish him, so cute. I tried the plastic bag thing. no luck at all that is what the vet said to do.

? My mom's cat was diabetic and she was large. In fact her weight gain shoul dhave been a sign. Maybe check with another vet?
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    My first thought was a UTI.

As others have said, the vet should be able to give you or recommend some sort of special litter. I think for a urinalysis, it'd be hard to do properly with pee drained off regular litter.

Or the vet can catheterise him. Also, the vet can just keep the cat at the vets for the day, and use the special litter they have for the purpose.
    agree, but they just suggest the plastic bag thing. cathing is only if he is blocked they said. not a lot of vets in the area or I would be searching for another.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    ? My mom's cat was diabetic and she was large. In fact her weight gain shoul dhave been a sign. Maybe check with another vet?
    I did. they checked when he had a granuloma tumor removed from his sternum. I still suspect diabetes. and now a uti, though it is clear pee. and not frequent. just one or two times a day. the smell is odd though.

thank you folks for the suggestions. Yes jack loves to be outside and is in need of a workout so we go for walks. I will try to post a small video but last time I tried it would not work. he walks very well and quite a ways with harness and leash. if I say jack want to go for a walk? he runs over with his tail strait up and is meowing and pawing at me to hurry. today it is raining and he is bummed about the crate.

No more suggestions on the sample, but we have had similar issues over the years with cats that have resulted in diagnoses of diabetes, bladder infection, bladder stone (very common in males and can be caused by the ash content in dry kibbles if kitty is susceptible) and a kidney problem.

(Obviously, that was several different cats over the years)

They would tend to find a soft place to go (piles of towels/.clothes on the floor) because it hurt to pee .... they were looking for relief.

I think sometimes the bed bit (we had that happen too) was a way to try and tell you they need help?

In the meantime, can you cover your bed ..... get a plastic picnic tablecloth, or a shower curtain to use as a bedspread?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    No more suggestions on the sample, but we have had similar issues over the years with cats that have resulted in diagnoses of diabetes, bladder infection, bladder stone (very common in males and can be caused by the ash content in dry kibbles if kitty is susceptible) and a kidney problem.

(Obviously, that was several different cats over the years)

They would tend to find a soft place to go (piles of towels/.clothes on the floor) because it hurt to pee .... they were looking for relief.

I think sometimes the bed bit (we had that happen too) was a way to try and tell you they need help?

In the meantime, can you cover your bed ..... get a plastic picnic tablecloth, or a shower curtain to use as a bedspread?
    this is my thought also. no bed at the moment. I am saving for a new mattress, but have to spay the little one too, and am sending money to my son to neuter his kitten. so It will be a 20.00 air mattress for a while. He is not allowed in my room at all. I just dont want to enforce his peeing in there or I would allow it just to get a sample. He is on low ash food. He has gained weight since the kitten has been here because he sneeks her food. she is crated to eat her food, and his low cal low ash food is left out. He throws up if not allowed to snack throughout the day, though his ration is just distributed over the day. he has only peed on my bed and not throw rugs and towels as other cats on my past have when suffering a uti. He wants in my room everytime he wants to pee. hates peeing in the boxes. first he will look at my door, and I say no! in the box. He looks at it, huffs, and eventually uses the box, or we go outside. now that he knows I want him to pee he will not go outside ether.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    this is my thought also. no bed at the moment. I am saving for a new mattress, but have to spay the little one too, and am sending money to my son to neuter his kitten. so It will be a 20.00 air mattress for a while. He is not allowed in my room at all. I just dont want to enforce his peeing in there or I would allow it just to get a sample. He is on low ash food. He has gained weight since the kitten has been here because he sneeks her food. she is crated to eat her food, and his low cal low ash food is left out. He throws up if not allowed to snack throughout the day, though his ration is just distributed over the day. he has only peed on my bed and not throw rugs and towels as other cats on my past have when suffering a uti. He wants in my room everytime he wants to pee. hates peeing in the boxes. first he will look at my door, and I say no! in the box. He looks at it, huffs, and eventually uses the box, or we go outside. now that he knows I want him to pee he will not go outside ether.
    I know this sounds mean but I hope he is sick .... it is so much easier to fix than if it is a behavior thing!

We had a stray we adopted that had the same food issues as it sounds yours has (from another post too). When we put out food he would have to gobble it all down, and then would throw up. If there wasn;t "enough" he would get very upset, and we had more than one cat too, so he was getting more than his share. What finally worked for him was to give him a constant supply of kibble, so it never was empty. I swore it wasn't a good idea (wasn't my idea, LOL) and that he would just eat even MORE, but it seemed he got the idea that he wasn't going to go hungry anymore and didn't have to binge.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Your vet is 100 percent wrong about diabetic cats being thin -- Moo was 19 pounds when he was diagnosed and started taking insulin twice a day.

I think your instincts are right on the money -- the excessive drinking/thirst is a big warning sign. If Jack is diabetic and it goes untreated, he could start to lose the use of his back legs. I would insist that the vet check Jack's sugar levels along with the urinalysis for infection once you're able to get that urine sample.

I sure hope you can find a way to post the video of you and Jack going for your walk -- that is the coolest thing I've ever heard! One of Moo's many nicknames is Puppy/the Puppycat because he's always behaved like a loyal little dog, and it sounds like Jack is an ultimate Puppycat, too.

It's so sweet that you've become a Moo fan. He's my baby.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Of course diabetic cats can be fat.

Excessive drinking and peeing can be a sign of diabetes - but can be a sign of a urinary tract infection too. They vet should be able to tell the difference - at least I certainly hope so.