Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So I'm thinking about getting my masters

Masters in Psy, same thing for me
    Im even doing it online

Quote Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
    I am getting my masters in social work and don't have to do a thesis, just have to sit in front of a panel of professors and answer their questions and be able to use the knowledge i have learned. I do know there are several programs that don't require thesis or other test. It depends on the school you go to and the program. If one school says they do a thesis, look at another. Graduate work is tons of work but so worth it. I have to read about 400-600 pages a week, which really sucks but other then that no complaints

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    You are young and in the silicon valley, odds are the start up bug will bite you Usually happens after a couple of your friends become millionaires before they are 30.
    hah well my one friend did quit cisco to join a start up and isn't doing too well but I'm sure if one really does sound good I may take a chance.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Smile Can you get student loans and SSI benefits as well?

Here's one problem I am having now. Can a person who is on SSI, start college online and get a student loan? Is this considered income? The loan is a direct student loan from the federal government and it paid for the class and also there was money left over and I received a check yesterday. Now, am I allowed to cash that check? If I do, will I lose SSI benefits and the medicaid I need for my disability? I feel I am in a catch 22 because I'd like to be able to get a degree to where I can work at home, but if I can't pay for it, and I get a loan and there's money left over, what do I do?
    Also, I was forgiven 10 thousand dollars just recently on a credit card because of an insurance policy called credit protector. After 2 years of being on a deferrment, they ruled it was a bonafide disability and paid of 10 thousand dollars on a credit card balance. What I want to know is if I'll be taxed on this as income? If so, is it considered income? Will I lose SSI because of this?
    When it rains it pours!
    Please write to me about this.

A bunch of interesting questions!

Quote Originally Posted by susiemelindy View Post
    Here's one problem I am having now. Can a person who is on SSI, start college online and get a student loan? Is this considered income? The loan is a direct student loan from the federal government and it paid for the class and also there was money left over and I received a check yesterday. Now, am I allowed to cash that check? If I do, will I lose SSI benefits and the medicaid I need for my disability? I feel I am in a catch 22 because I'd like to be able to get a degree to where I can work at home, but if I can't pay for it, and I get a loan and there's money left over, what do I do?
    Also, I was forgiven 10 thousand dollars just recently on a credit card because of an insurance policy called credit protector. After 2 years of being on a deferrment, they ruled it was a bonafide disability and paid of 10 thousand dollars on a credit card balance. What I want to know is if I'll be taxed on this as income? If so, is it considered income? Will I lose SSI because of this?
    When it rains it pours!
    Please write to me about this.
    if u get a refund, you can ask the school to keep it for you and it can be used for books etc. i'm on ssi and i get a refund and just use it for school expenses by putting the money on what is called "tiger bucks" here at RIT and i can use it at many different places when i need stuff.

i'm in a bs/ms program in bioinformatics here. hopefully in 3 years i will go on to do a straight phd or do md/phd combined. in the biological sciences the higher education you get, the higher you are paid. experience is great but without those higher degrees you really can be limited in your choices. gl to those pursuing their higher degrees!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

My advice before you decide to get a Masters is determine your career path. Most of your CIOs and Higher Level Managers in IT dont have grad degrees but I feel that is because management is a graveyard of people who have lost there skills in technology and move to the next level because they are good at team building and understand the industry there company is specialized. In IT if your not looking to climb the ladder my advice, if your looking for education, is to get certified in growing technology. In my line of work, the Engineers and Developers have a higher salary than the managers and some directors because there skill set is invaluable. Managers are a dime a dozen. Anyway just my .02. I think having a Masters will give you upward mobility but if your looking to have fun with technology go for learning other technical skills.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee View Post
    I agree what your saying Tom,

But for me computer science is cake, I've been programming since I was 14 so it comes natural to me.

I don't plan on going the start up route because I already got into a nice company which pays pretty well and I like their 401k matching/stock options. A part of me still wants to re-apply to microsoft as a PM though, so that maybe in my future.

If I do get a masters I'll still be working full time, so no work experience or money will be lost if I get my masters.

At the company I work for I do the first round of hiring as well to see if they should go onto the next round and your right the masters play no role if I'm hiring them or not. Infact I found even senior level programmers can't answer my questions and they've had 5+ years of working experience or more. Kids straight out of college with just a 4 year degree I've noticed answer my design and technical questions much better which I've always found strange.

Not Strange at all. Most of the developers today forgot all of the text book stuff and the industry uses different terminology. For Example, If you ask somebody in my company what the SDlC model is that will look at you funny??? If you explain it they will say it is the Waterfall method... However, given the slim economy we have adapted Agile methodologies. So dont get caught up on terms. When I hire I have a mix. You need hungry young IT people. They are usually the Thundercats that want to change the world and they love to come up with new designs and demonstrate they found a flaw. The older Developers just will tell you "Hey its a Paycheck because they lost the lust for IT"... They dont need motivation all they need is specs and the younger Developers to challenge them to get them motivated. You have to have experience and talent to be successful.