Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C6-C7 SCI needed for research study!!

C6-C7 SCI needed for research study!!

Hello!

My name is Mike Murphy and I'm one of three physical therapy students at the University of Puget Sound who are conducting a research study involving C6 and C7 level spinal cord injuries. This study involved comparing the length of inpatient rehabilitation provided and the corresponding levels of functional ability and community participation. This study takes about 20 minutes to complete and can be done online or in hard copy via mail.

It would be a great help to us if you chose to donate your time and help out the project and we think this could be a great start in determining a proper length of inpatient rehabilitation following a spinal cord injury.

To contact us via email: kmerschel@ups.edu
    To contact us via phone: 1-253-879-2445

I am assuming that both your thesis committee and UPS (University of Puget Sound) Human Subjects Review Board have approved this method of recruiting subjects for your study???

(KLD)

Let's not discourage people from coming to our Community, I'm removing everything but KLD's response.

KLD points out the wisdom of being prudent when dealing with these requests.

FTR, I have completed a number of surveys as a result of posts here. But, this is the internet and one should always be mindful to protect their personal information.

If I fit the parameters of this study, I would consider it. In this case, I do not. I hope the OP gets the information they need to complete their study.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
    KLD points out the wisdom of being prudent when dealing with these requests.

FTR, I have completed a number of surveys as a result of posts here. But, this is the internet and one should always be mindful to protect their personal information.

If I fit the parameters of this study, I would consider it. In this case, I do not. I hope the OP gets the information they need to complete their study.
    I agree with all of jenJen's points. If you do not wnt to immediately share your email address, I suggest that you PM the students doing the study. This will keep your email address private until you feel comfortable with the students who are doing the research.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Response

Thanks for your questions,

This study is approved by the University of Puget Sound IRB and our methods of recruiting were included in our research proposal. If I knew how I would post our research flier which has the IRB stamp on it. All patient information is completely confidential and no medical records of any kind are needed.

This study is a graduation requirement for our doctor of physical therapy degree and we are working under Jennifer Hastings PT, PhD, NCS.

The phone number is one set up by the university and it is only a mail box in which you can leave contact information. Also the email address provided is one of the other students working on this study who is responsible for checking her email for participants.

We hope this explains our position and hope that anybody meeting the criteria of either complete or incomplete C6 or C7 SCI will be willing to share some of their valuable time with us.

Thanks!

MMUPS, Thank you for your response. It clarifies many questions. You can attach your document by using the attachment function below where you post. It is labled Manage Attachments.

Best of luck with your study.

Terrific - welcome, and I wish you the best of luck with your study.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMurphyUPS View Post
    Thanks for your questions,

This study is approved by the University of Puget Sound IRB and our methods of recruiting were included in our research proposal. If I knew how I would post our research flier which has the IRB stamp on it. All patient information is completely confidential and no medical records of any kind are needed.

This study is a graduation requirement for our doctor of physical therapy degree and we are working under Jennifer Hastings PT, PhD, NCS.

The phone number is one set up by the university and it is only a mail box in which you can leave contact information. Also the email address provided is one of the other students working on this study who is responsible for checking her email for participants.

We hope this explains our position and hope that anybody meeting the criteria of either complete or incomplete C6 or C7 SCI will be willing to share some of their valuable time with us.

Thanks!
    UW routinely sends me this stuff via snail mail (because i've been there). i fit your criteria but am not willing to submit online. sorry. i live in the area, but a phone# or unknown e makes me uncomfortable.

please provide a professor at UPS that i can find on the UPS website and i'll be happy to call. thanks. sorry for this, but please understand i like my privacy.

i'd also like to discuss with said professor methods of recruiting input anyway, am looking for Hastings on UPS website. ty for your understanding.

I am wondering if you could tell me how you would use our medical information, and how you acquire it, and know we are credible. I understand doctoral programs go through a lot of close scrutiny.
    It would appear that they are using self reporting and most likly an ADL and community scale to evaluate functionial progress. I doubt there would be very few NON-SCI takers from a sci based community forum--unless there are some wannabes. I am sure they have built in an error of margin.

Use the CareCure private message function, it works real well for private communication.
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 01-22-2010 at 10:17 AM.