Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pain & Fear in Easy Stander for daughter

This site is great. I have only been on here for a month or so and the support is awesome! You will get honest responses from everyone.

My Sarah has only been in a standing frame 3 times since her injury in Dec 2008. (She actually hates the piece of equipment but we are in the process of getting one.) Each time that she was in the frame, she was was very safe and secure. I would make sure that the PT is sure of what they are doing. I did not have that feeling of insecurity for her.

My son started with a tilt table before progressing from there.

Is she still in patient?
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

I don't like what I am hearing either. My first time in a stander was very brief. We stopped at stages, and my BP was monitored throughout. I don;t remember if I got fully up, but if so it was for merely a minute or so.

And I am an adult, not a frightened child.

I would be looking for a new PT, or having a serious discussion with the one you have. If she truly is the first sci kid they have had, I would move her. Agreed, they need to get experience somewhere, but not with my kid!

In my opinion, 30 minutes in a stander first time out, without proper support is negligent. And they should have been monitoring her BP.

You say her OT is more experienced, can you change PTs? Again, I would want someone with experience.

If not, and you switch, I am sure she will find people she likes at the new place as well.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Just want to clarify a few things that have come up.
    She was using a tilt table successfully, this is not the first time in the Easy Stand but it WAS the first time with that PT.
    We started to get her up and the whole episode lasted about a minute before I said to bring her down because of the pain and crying.

BP will be monitored more closely next time. What melodiclogic22 said is really scary but totally realistic. Usually we do BP checks, even on the tilt table, every few minutes or so.

I am less concerned now, that they brought her down so quickly. I think I misinterpreted your 30 minute comment .... you we referring to how would you do this in the future at home?

Was the easystand set up properly? They are quite adjustable, and if it were used for another client in between, perhaps this pt didn;t get it right?

But they should definitely take her BP before going up, and is she complains, take it again to determine if it is BP related, or something else. For me, the concern was low BP not high, they were worried that I would pass out.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005