Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain & Fear in Easy Stander for daughter

Pain & Fear in Easy Stander for daughter

Hi All,

Yesterday at PT my daughter (12 yrs. new quad) was put in an Easy Stander. There no no upper body supports and she was crying and said it hurt. We tried to keep working through some of it but finally I said to bring her down. I was holding her shoulders/head the whole time for support and I think some of the pain was coming from me holding her, maybe fingers digging into her shoulders. I'm not sure what the PT was thinking...that I would just hold my daughter's shoulders for a half hour in the stander or what.

Anyway, I can't stop thinking about the session and now am kind of mad she was even put in the thing without the right accessories. My question for the collective wisdom here....I'm leaning toward new PT. Am I being too protective or am I right on?

Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post

Anyway, I can't stop thinking about the session and now am kind of mad she was even put in the thing without the right accessories. My question for the collective wisdom here....I'm leaning toward new PT. Am I being too protective or am I right on?

You are right on. I got very nauseous the first couple times in the standing rig. My first couple of sessions I just went as high as I could, it took a good 5 session before I was perpendicular to the floor. You daughter should never do anything in the rig that hurts or scares her. Maybe you should look for a new PT. I did my rehab in the cities at Courage Center, they were great and it looks from your profile you are close to there.

Tom

I think you were right on as well. I too got naueous and dizzy the first time...so to put her all the way up was wrong.

Second...there should have been other devices to keep her upright and to reduce the pain. There may have needed to be another strap or support to hold her in place.

I think you should look at other options.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Agreed. Your daughter should not be put in a device that is both terror producing for her and inadequate in support for her upper torso. They should not have pushed this without the proper equipment.

Thanks all, just after seeing a few responses I can tell my gut is right and that we need to move her. My husband and I are going to divide and conquer today and get her into Courage Center. I am just not seeing any kids with her level of injury at the place she is now and maybe they just don't have as many SCI's come through there as they said....well, maybe they do but some of the therapists act like she is their first kid with SCI.

We are on the move, whatever that takes.

Agreed with the rest. Sounds like an untrained/unskilled therapist, very dangerous. I have heard good things about Courage Center as mentioned above. Good luck!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Are you sure the PT had the standing frame set up correctly? Every standing frome that i have used or seen has a front pad that can be adjusted up or down so its positioned against the chest holding the torso in a up right position. There should not have been any reason to hold her upper body up. But i agree the PT should know about this adjustment and adjusted it according to your daughters height........
    T12-L1 since 10/12/03

domosoyo,

Another member described a terror filled incident in a standing frame in which they could feel Autonomic Dysreflexia-Hyperreflexia (blood pressure rising and pulse-rate dropping) coming on, requested to be removed from the standing frame and was denied by the PT's so that person could work through the pain. This person had a stroke and passed out and was fortunate to have not died from cerebral hemmorage or had residual damage. During AD-H, excessive catecholimines are released which include norephenedrine (a neurotransmitter), that can turn a gentle touch into a sensation similar to a bullwhip. If the PT did not monitor your daughter's vitals during this procedure they are incompetent and should hear about it.

Joe

30 minutes first time up sounds excessive even if the rig was properly configured.

I recall spending just 5 or 10 minutes up my first time and being lowered over my protests. My PT was within touching distance the entire time and I wore a BP cuff to continually monitor my BP.

Sounds like a very bad experience for your daughter. I'm sorry to hear it.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

I'm just so thankful for all of your comments. The last week I've felt really isolated and hearing back from people that know exactly what I'm talking about is what is so great about this site and this group of people. I'm tired of giving mini-lectures to people about SCI right now and need a break. So nice not to have to explain yourself!

Well, after the crap PT session we had a stellar OT session and she really likes her OT. Her OT is more experienced. I hate to move her now over one PT. Dad, kid and mom should probably talk more about this. I KNOW I will be looking to stay away from that PT and I'll be much more pro-active in upcoming sessions.

Ready to get jacked-up on Dew and go all spider monkey on them.
    (tip to Talladega Nights)