Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ostomy help please..avoiding leaking

Ostomy help please..avoiding leaking

This is a urostomy question. First of all my stoma didn't turn out quite like it should, it doesn't potrude much, if that makes a difference. Anyways, I'm using the econ-seal & it does well for a couple days. It seems on the third day is when the leaking starts. I was told to just change it twice a week, so at the risk of sounding stupid, change it every two instead? Home health is coming but these chicks are clueless imo. My urostomy nurse contact says try nothing & she will see me if we contunue to have issues.

Also, it seems the econ-seal just turns to much after awhile and covers the stoma. I still have the stents in but if I didn't I'm sure this stuff would clog. So, onto stoma paste, is this stuff really healthy to use on sci skin?

Any tips are so appreciated. Right now I'm in a one-piece set up & the leaking is occuring in the corner of skin fold. Please tell me this gets easier too.

I have never used the econ-seal so don't know anything about it or what it even is but when I first had my urostomy (back in the 90's) I used the stoma paste without damaging my skin. At first I was using hollister urostomy supplies but switched to the Convatec SUR-FIT Natura Two-Piece Durahesive two piece system and it worked well for me. It may not be easy but you just have to find what works for you and give it some time. I remember when I first had my urostomy and the ET nurse told me one day I would just forget it was there I thought yea right but I do forget I have it never thought that would happen.

All I can say is trial and error with different systems to see what works for you and your stoma. If its like it was the convatec, hollister and all the rest will send you different products to try or your ET nurse can probably provide some. I was lucky and had a good ET nurse and the convatec nurse (their hotline) was also helpful. Oh and I only used the stoma paste for about a month it made no difference when I stopped using it but my stoma does protude.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Not sure if I said but it does get easier.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

I don;t have a urostomy, but an illieostomy. The illieostomy is different from the colostomy in that the output is very liquid. So thinking some of my trial and error would help you? So I was googling around to see how they compared.

First thought?

What about these Eakin Cohesive discs? edited to add <<<<<< Or is that what you are using? Eakin seal not econ maybe?

Do you use a convex wafer?

The paste would be appropriate to try to fill in around the skin fold. Remember tho, that paste is like caulk, not a glue. Don;t over do it.

Oh and poking around, I found this thread in an Inspire discussion forum with some suggestions.

I use a moldable durahesive wafer, that sort of swells up and makes a good seal. This is the wafer I use: It says it is appropriate for Urostomies too. I found this one piece system with a CONVEX durahesive barrier. (This one I think you have to cut, but the durahesive material should still swell where it gets wet?) Here is one like my moldable one, that you cut instead. Agian, the durahesive material swells up.

The only problem I would see in changing more often (other than it being a nuisance, but less of a nuisance than leaks!) would be irritating your skin, be sure you are using a skin prep type of thing on your skin. UNLESS .... I have found some wafers that specifically say NOT to use skin prep.

Don;t forget ... you can get samples of these too, look on the manufacturer web sites. I tried several brands and styles before I found something that I am happy with.

ps, personally, I have found it is best not to change right after a shower, if I can plan the change. I swear, I must absorb water, and my skin is never quite dry enough to get a good seal. If I have to change after a shower, the appliance will only stay on a day or so, I am guessing b.c my skin was still a little damp?

edited again .... Aliya, I missed your post ..... Guess I could have just written "what she said" :P
    Last edited by sjean423; 01-18-2010 at 09:03 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Thanks ladies!

I stand corrected, it is Eakin Seal.

Right now I'm using the Hollister bags..must be the typical send homes.
    Curently until my stoma becomes the normal size we don't have the correct seals to fit so were instructed to pinch off a piece & roll until it correctly fit the outside of the stoma.

Aliya, that's the one the the urostomy nurse wants to get me over to once swelling goes down everything becomes "normal" ; your set-up. With the two piece set-up, do you find it reliable? Home health brought some that seemed like they would pop right off easily.

Sjean, on that dura-hesive barrier it may be alot like this Eakin Seal stuff. It swells too but gets gooey as well. Does your stuff get this way. I'm not as worried about it now with these tubes in but without them, I definitely see them clogging/covering my short little stoma.

Thanks both for the help & encouragement. I'll check out those sites asap sjean.

Oh Aliya, did yours close back by chance. I was told there was a 10% chance. Just wondering when you mentioned "your first".

No, mine didn't close if I typed "your (my) first" it was a typo. Guess it would have made for easier reading if I would use a comma ever now and then .

The two piece system has been very reliable for me and I can go for two weeks without changing if I want. Normally I don't go that long because I use waterproof tape to window pane the skin barrier and the tape starts to peel off so I just change the whole system. Also like the two piece system because my cat has actually stuck a claw in the pouch before and punctured it so I only had to change the pouch not the whole system. The pouch really snaps securely onto the barrier sometimes I have to really push hard to get it to seal its that tight of a seal.

If you go with the durahesive you will learn over time when its time to change the system the tan color of the barrier will become pale and spongey feeling. Think I have had my uro for fifteen years and probably only had it leak or cause problems around six times and a few of those times was a bad batch of barriers.

I know its all foreign to you right now but once you heal and find what product works for you it will become second nature.

It swells up around the stoma, but I can;t picture it clogging it.

The moldable would be good until your stoma settles into a size. You just stretch it more at first.

You can get a sample from the manufacturer.

http://www.convatec.com/en/cvtus-cvt...logytrade.html

Sometimes your supplier will give you samples as well.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Update...

The leaking got so bad Monday, I went through some supplies! It was a nightmare. My husband & I were both thinking I'd made a mistake with the surgery. Well, Yesterday a tear was noticed beside the stoma & I got it stitched today. So far, so good, I've been dry for hours-major plus considering! He also removed the tubes which will make for an easier change too. I also met with the ostomy nurse & as soon as I finish up these one-piece bags, she's switching me to the Convatec Surefit two-piece set up. She assures me it will work so great as my stoma is right in the crease of belly & that it will stay on longer. I can't wait but I'm very relieved the source of the leaking was found. I feel normal again!

Oh, I was also assured the seal wouldn't clog the stoma when it gets gooey. I tried the stoma paste- waste of time & money. It's all a learning process. Now that I'm feeling better by not leaking, I hope to appreciate feeling so good uti-free since it has been so long that I was plagued with a chronic one.

Glad you are switching supplies, but surprised she is waiting until these are gone, probably good you went through a lot of them yesterday, LOL.

Question about the crease? Was there a reason the stoma had to be positioned there? It is going to be a spot you will need to watch for potential leaking.

Hoping the new stuff works!

ps MAKE SURE she gets the DURAHESIVE not the STOMAHESIVE version. It comes in both types, and I was using the stomahesive for a long while with some problems, until I did some research. (was sent home using it) . The stomahesive is not for liquid output. I assume w/ a urostomy, there won't be a question, just wanted to point out that it comes in both types.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quad79, you are getting some good advice. At first it is a trial and error, hair pulling time. Once you are healed, problems should be few and far between. Also, there are quite a few pouch choices, and in time, you will have a chance to find what is best for you, using convenience, durability, etc. as criteria. My own experience with ostomy nurses is that they seem to have a favorite or two that they are comfortable with (or get kick-backs from promoting them lol), but it is not necessarily the best for you. Hang tough. We are all at your side.

You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/