Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How can the pain get worse?? :(

Definitely not just you Becky. When my pain levels get high enough I feel nausea, and sometimes that results in barfing. It is fairly rare for it to result in upchucking, but the nausea thing is there a lot.

Becky,
    Hoping things are better for you today. I know the pain that makes me feel sick but only chucked up once!

Hang on in there.

TM Girl

Unfortunately I am not feeling any better . I am feeling utterly awful. I tried going to some classes today but i didnt last very long .
    Thanks for asking though......

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Oh Becky, I would do just about anything to give you some relief. It breaks my heart to hear you so miserable day in and day out. Call your physiatrist every morning and remind them you're available to be there with X hours notice if anything opens up.

About getting so nauseated from the pain, do you know anyone at school who might be able to hook you up with some MJ brownies? Have you ever tried eating it to see if it helped?

Forgive me, but I've forgotten what you currently take for pain. I remember that you've tried a number of things, but can't recall what you're doing now. My thought is maybe there's room for a little home pharmacology like increasing the dose, adjusting the schedule, etc.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post

Forgive me, but I've forgotten what you currently take for pain. I remember that you've tried a number of things, but can't recall what you're doing now. My thought is maybe there's room for a little home pharmacology like increasing the dose, adjusting the schedule, etc.
    Its ok, I am on a fentanyl patch (50micg/hr). I also take ativan for anxiety. Sometimes the combo work slightly. By slightly I mean instead of a 10 or 11 on the pain scale it'll register as a 9 or 10 respectively. The have never given me anything for break through pain since its a patch. At least thats their logic . I personally don't like it. I will take OTC's like advil etc but it does absolutely nothing so why I take it, I have no idea .

Becky
    since 1/3/04

Many people get breakthrough meds with a patch. The patch is long-lasting, and intended to control the regular level of pain. When pain gets worse at times, then that's what breakthrough meds are for.

If that patch is not controlling your pain - ever - perhaps they need to increase the dose. Also, for many people the patch does not last the whole three days, and needs to be changed every two days - it is not uncommonly prescribed that way.

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    Many people get breakthrough meds with a patch. The patch is long-lasting, and intended to control the regular level of pain. When pain gets worse at times, then that's what breakthrough meds are for.

If that patch is not controlling your pain - ever - perhaps they need to increase the dose. Also, for many people the patch does not last the whole three days, and needs to be changed every two days - it is not uncommonly prescribed that way.

Thats what I thought! I thought there logic was a little faulty. I will ask about increasing the dosage since I clearly need to and demanding I get something for breakthrough pain. Does anyone know what the max does is on Fentanyl? Just so I don't ask for something outrageous because at this point in time that might be what happens.

Becky
    since 1/3/04

You can't really ask for a particular dosage of fentanyl patch. But there are protocols for increasing it gradually.

With opioids, there are no actual maximums generally - it's whatever works for a person. But I will say, you are nowhere near any logical maximum - I have known people who take far more than you do.

This is a site I thought was a very good discussion of pain management. It is about cancer pain - so please ignore the parts that are specific to cancer. But in general, it has some good discussions of pain control options, breakthrough pain, etc.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/MIT/co...r_Families.asp

All my pains do is get worse, and my negative attitude with them. Doctors are useless with regard to this.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Tam,
    Thanks for the link!! I'll def be refering to it multiple times at my appt!!

Becky
    since 1/3/04