Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weight Watchers clinic floor collapses under dieters

Wouldn't that be dark humor? Some people cope with dark humor, others find it offensive. My mother went from 300 pounds to 180 in 3 months - but it took another stroke to do it. Not funny. Some people are insensitive, but others live with 'dark humor' and understand it better than others. Live & let live is best, IMO

In almost every tragedy you can find humour, I guess that's the definition of black humour? And I think that "we" as handicapped folks have a better appreciation of black humour.

Anyone who has made it through rehab has a whole new appreciation for black humour. Personally, I've always had a slightly dark/British sense of humour, and it kept a smile on my face (and those around me) right at the worst of times.

Having said all that; I don't like people to take offense, or to be hurt by things. So, I for one would like to express regret if anything I have said hurt or offended anyone here.

[I will add that you just cannot trust quads.....such a bunch of fakers with those gimped up hands they seem harmless...BUT they all have a real good line in stealing your stuff when you're not looking. See a quad, check your wallet...that was my motto in rehab. Ok, so perhaps only I find that particular one funny......]

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    Very true. If I had to guess, I'd say the notion that fat people aren't sexy and that gluttony is considered sinful makes the overweight person a less sympathetic figure. It's sad, but I'd imagine those are two reasons.

I think you are probably right on this, but it just shows the judgemental attitude of those who think it is humorous to make fun of the overweight. Since many anorexics do nothing but push food around on their plate as they try to pretend to eat, to say nothing of bulemics who intentionally vomit to rid their body of the food they have eaten, it would be hard to argue that these folks are not wasting perfectly good food. In this screwed up culture it doesn't seem to matter though, as the anorexic and bulemic will get lots of sympathy, while the chubby is on the receiving end of scorn.

probably because obese or overweight people are that much more visibly identifiable, thats one reason mental illness isnt taken seriously by many.

I can't change that I found this story humorous. I do apologize that my posts have upset or hurt anyones feelings. I should have kept my humor to myself, in the spirit of if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleen View Post
    Wouldn't that be dark humor? Some people cope with dark humor, others find it offensive. My mother went from 300 pounds to 180 in 3 months - but it took another stroke to do it. Not funny. Some people are insensitive, but others live with 'dark humor' and understand it better than others. Live & let live is best, IMO
    I'm reminded of an episode of Maude: Maude is depressed over turning 51, but relents and goes with her friend Vivian to their high school reunion. They're excited to meet Katie, a friend they fondly remember and haven't seen in years. Katie shows up in a wheelchair because she'd suffered a stroke. This makes Maude even more uneasy, but Katie eventually wins her over with humor over her misfortune.

Katie: Maude, there's some bad news and good news. The bad news is that I'm paralyzed. The good news is that my husband left me.

I walked into a hospital at 15 and didn't walk out. Nothing short of a tragedy. However, I can make jokes about it and find humor in it. It's part of finding a funny side to an awful situation.

Speaking of mothers having strokes, in the beloved sitcom The Golden Girls, there was a consistent joke about Sophia being put into Shady Pines after her stroke. My maternal grandmother suffered a stroke last year during a medical test and even nearing the age of 90 managed to walk and speak again. She's not 100%, but you account age and what her stroke did and she's amazing.

We all find humor in our own ways. As I've said, it isn't always stemming from malice.

Sometimes things just "rub me the wrong way".....

I can see the irony though....I guess from now on they will be meeting on the ground floor somewhere huh?
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Lighten up........

Sometimes I crack myself up
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    To Le Type Français: I think you are probably right on this, but it just shows the judgemental attitude of those who think it is humorous to make fun of the overweight. Since many anorexics do nothing but push food around on their plate as they try to pretend to eat, to say nothing of bulemics who intentionally vomit to rid their body of the food they have eaten, it would be hard to argue that these folks are not wasting perfectly good food. In this screwed up culture it doesn't seem to matter though, as the anorexic and bulemic will get lots of sympathy, while the chubby is on the receiving end of scorn.
    Re the conversation between you and Todd - Although I agree with you that there are negative societal attitudes against being overweight, I think, in your attempt to point that out, you are being just as dismissive and negatively judgmental against those on the other end of the weight spectrum. There are both overweight and underweight people, for whatever reasons. But when you talk about anorexia, it is not simply a matter of one being thin or skinny, or just the opposite of a heavy person. While Bulimia affects many people, from fat to thin, athletes to non, and everyone in-between, including anorexics and "normal" healthy looking people, it is not readily seen just from looking at a person. Anorexia is a completely different condition, and something that can become extremely severe and deadly.

There is a lot public ridicule against those who are appear very thin, or even just "normal" thin, with people often making quick assumptions about them being bulemic and making jokes about it. It's almost as if, because they are thin it's ok to make fun of that because maybe we assume society is more accepting of that (or them) so they aren't being as offended or hurt, or since people make fun of fat so we should make fun of skinny?? Whatever the reasons there is a great deal of shame and stigma associated with being both bulemic and anorexic, but it is easier to hide bulimia as most tend to be average weight or even over-weight. Because of the shame, people do not seek help, particularly boys and men. If left untreated, both Bulemia and Anorexia can result in death.

Again, anorexia is not just about "do(ing) nothing but push food around on their plate as they try to pretend to eat". This is a much more severe condition, that goes beyond just being (or wanting to be) thin, and casually using the term and associating it to just thinness really dismisses the severity and depth of the issue.

Whether one pushes food around a plate, throws it up, or eats too much, aren't they all wasting perfectly good food? But then again, aren't defensive comments like this just more about attacking the 'other' in the same vein?
    Last edited by chick; 01-24-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Again, anorexia is not just about "do(ing) nothing but push food around on their plate as they try to pretend to eat". This is a much more severe condition, that goes beyond just being (or wanting to be) thin, and casually using the term and associating it to just thinness really dismisses the severity and depth of the issue.
    I agree with you completely. I am the one who brought up the issue of the negative societal differences because no one seems to get this. Most seem to think it's just about food and it's not. i just wanted to point out whichever end of the spectrum you're on, 4o lbs underweight or weighing 400, 500, or 600 hundred pounds there are deep emotional issues that go way beyond food. I admittedly pity both. I remember when I was working I told someone how great they looked after loosing quite a bit of weight. I so regretted it because little did I know she was well on her way to an eating disorder.

I had a suite mate in college who one semester weighed 200 lbs, the next semester she was down to 125. The following year she was homecoming queen and ended up in the hospital the following semester. I used to hear her every night in the bathroom purging and she would deny it. I would be in awe with the amounts of food this girl could consume. I always wondered what happened to her.

I can't even begin to understand what truly goes on in the head of someone with an eating disorder, I one time or another tried both, purging or starve myself, but I think I got a glimpse of it. One time when I was on a diet I lost 20 lbs, which was something I needed to loose. One day I was at the mall and found myself at the food court. I really, really wanted to eat. I rolled around three times looking at all that food then decided to leave. Well instead of feeling that I deprived myself, I felt great. I actually got a high from thinking how much control I had by passing up all that food. It felt great. I lost another 10 lbs after that. Luckily I stabled off and got myself back to reality. I guess it wasn't in my makeup to be that way. I keep a pretty decent weight for being so sedentary so I'm just going to have to be happy with that.

Just a little side joke. Hopefully no one will be offended. I have figured out how to hide the quad gut, just wait for the menopause gut to take over.