Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weight Watchers clinic floor collapses under dieters

There is a reason that most sources of news (print and online) have carried this story. The humour is in the irony. It is ironic, it is pitiful. These poor people were gathering to try to help each other, and by their very gathering managed to hurt each other....its incredibly ironic. The fact that no one was injured alows the story to be a funny example of the irony of life and its unpredictability.

The best humour is the stuff you are not really supposed to be laughing at. It doesnt make us all animals, it makes us human.

And its ok to laugh at other people. And being over-weight or handicapped doesnt get you a free pass out of being the source of humour.

On the other hand, there is humour that is essentially hate covered in a thin veneer of humor. The people laughing are really using the humour as a vehicle for their hate. This is not humour; this is hate. However, in my opinion this story does not fall under this category of hate......but I think you disagree....

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post

You don't appreciate people making fun of you or your disability so why do you feel that you can make fun of others. I am not saying being fat is a disability however people do have diagnosed eating disorders which believe it or not is treatable just like your spinal cord injury except fat people can be cured of being overweight.
    You sentence was rather confusing, but if you are saying I can be cured of my spinal cord injury I can't. If you are saying some people can't lose weight, they can. Anyone can. Everyone should lighten up, no one was hurt and as someone else pointed out the irony made it funny.

I don't condone being mean to overweight or obese people simply because of that factor. However, I do admit to understanding why this story humored people. People who were overweight were on a floor that collapsed. Yes, it's easy and silly humor, but it's human nonetheless.

Thankfully, no one was hurt from above or below the floor.

I never understood the double standard. Why is the eating disorder for anorexia and bulimia looked at with pity and someone with an over eating disorder is looked at as an uncontrollable sloppy pig? They both deal with control issues. It really has nothing to do with food, only with different perspectives on how one is able to deal. Funny how the overweight gets ridiculed and the anorexic gets pity.

I'm not saying that the irony wasn't there in the article. Whether it happened or not the double standard is there in society. I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by cara_m View Post
    I never understood the double standard. Why is the eating disorder for anorexia and bulimia looked at with pity and someone with an over eating disorder is looked at as an uncontrollable sloppy pig? They both deal with control issues. It really has nothing to do with food, only with different perspectives on how one is able to deal. Funny how the overweight gets ridiculed and the anorexic gets pity.

I'm not saying that the irony wasn't there in the article. Whether it happened or not the double standard is there in society. I just don't get it.
    Very true. If I had to guess, I'd say the notion that fat people aren't sexy and that gluttony is considered sinful makes the overweight person a less sympathetic figure. It's sad, but I'd imagine those are two reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    You sentence was rather confusing, but if you are saying I can be cured of my spinal cord injury I can't. If you are saying some people can't lose weight, they can. Anyone can. Everyone should lighten up, no one was hurt and as someone else pointed out the irony made it funny.

It may be funny to you but its not funny when the fat kids get enough and decide to kill the people who make fun of them. Making fun of people and laughing at others is wrong and it is hurtful.

But as long as the "stupids" get a laugh who cares right?

I lost alot of respect for a few (not all, it is typical of some of you) of the members that have posted in this thread.

As humorous as it may be, fat people, gay people, retarded people, crippled people, people who shit themselves (and the list goes on) are all still human beings and don't deserve to be laughed at no matter how ironic the situation is.

Would you have laughed if it had been a floor full of people in power chairs? They are quite heavy and there are many overweight people who use them even here.

My point was at least a fat person can be cured of their obesity, a person with a spinal cord injury cannot.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

It was just the irony, that's all. Humorous irony. You don't have to read so deep into it. If you don't find it funny, I'm sorry, but it gave me a little giggle and I'm sure the members themselves kind of giggle at it themselves. I know I joke about my injury all the time. Now don't make me get out of this chair and kick your butt.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

It may be funny to you but its not funny when the fat kids get enough and decide to kill the people who make fun of them. Making fun of people and laughing at others is wrong and it is hurtful.

But as long as the "stupids" get a laugh who cares right?

I lost alot of respect for a few (not all, it is typical of some of you) of the members that have posted in this thread.

As humorous as it may be, fat people, gay people, retarded people, crippled people, people who shit themselves (and the list goes on) are all still human beings and don't deserve to be laughed at no matter how ironic the situation is.

Would you have laughed if it had been a floor full of people in power chairs? They are quite heavy and there are many overweight people who use them even here.

My point was at least a fat person can be cured of their obesity, a person with a spinal cord injury cannot.
    You are completely missing the point. It's not found to be funny because they are overweight, it's the situational irony [as others have pointed out]. It's known as black comedy.

Clearly not your forte, but no need to demonize those who got a chuckle. I doubt anyone here finds humour in the unfortunate event itself.

You must hate most British humour eh?

That's not comparable because when people think of power chairs, they're not thinking of how much they weigh. But let's say the headline was: Man Drives Power Chair Into STOP Sign. You'd find that funny, right? Why do you find that funny? Because the sign said STOP and he drove into it. It's purely situational and I don't think most people are laughing with malice, but at the circumstance.

I've taken jokes about my height, being gay, being a gimp, etc. all my life. Test the spirit in which it's delivered. We can laugh about ourselves. Oprah has famously battled weight her entire career on television, yet she still finds ways to joke about it on her show or try to make light of it, despite it being a true struggle.

I swore my older lady friend, who died last spring, was forever going to get me into trouble. She was overweight, and also mostly in a wheelchair for multiple medical problems.

She made all sorts of jokes - we constantly referred to "crip parking spaces". At halloween, she wore a giant orange t-shirt, and said she was trying to become the great pumpkin.

People listening to us often gave us quite a look, especially if I was the one that said something. I kept telling her she was going to get me killed one day.

Heck, I don't mind sexist jokes - if they're funny. Blonde jokes are cool with me too.

Sexist male jokes are good too - "Don't mind him, he can't help it, it is a birth defect - testosterone poisoning".

I agree with others, it's the spirit in which it is intended.