Thread: Quad-Friendly PDAs

Quad-Friendly PDAs

Any quads with limited hand function using a PDA? I'm really interested in getting one, but I'm worried about the usability.

Does their small size make them too difficult to hold? Are domed keys difficult to hit with a pencil eraser? Can the touchscreen be operated with a pencil eraser or the knuckle of a bent finger? Is an integrated keyboard a must-have?

Of course, I'll try some PDAs out for myself, but I'd like to hear about the experiences of other "mobile" quads.

I'm C5 with good wrist extension and strong tenodesis grip, but no finger function. I type with with the eraser of a pencil that's inserted into a hand cuff. My dream PDA would be a Treo smartphone.

Thanks.

squeaky,

A few years ago I purchased a Palm-based PDA for college. I have a C6 injury, and no real finger dexterity. However, my fingers are bent/contracted, so I can hold stuff... just w/ no grip aside from tenodesis.

I found the styli near impossible to use & hold onto well enough to work efficiently. What I ended up doing was actually using the plastic end of my most-used pen, a paper-mate flair... I used the end under the cap in this pic:

It sounds crazy, but it worked a LOT better for me, and didn't scratch up the screen. There are adhesive screen protectors if it's a concern. Like anything though, practice makes perfect. I got frustrated trying to learn graffiti (the Palm handwriting), but once I got that down, I was fast.

IMO, don't get an integrated keyboard... the buttons are too darn tiny & in due time you can write faster on those things. I'd think one would need functional thumbs to work the keyboard efficiently... I'm right there w/ ya.

I wouldn't use an eraser. Too much friction. Your knuckles will work though... mine do. Also, I've used the edge of my thumbnail. Just problem-solve for yourself... you'll figure out what works best. Where there's a will, there IS a way!

HTH,
    ~ scott

I have a samsung sph-i700 pocket pc/cell phone. I am a C5 with no wrist extension. I use my bent knuckle to navigate the screen and it is mounted on the armrest of my chair. It works out pretty well. Also, scott is right, don't get the integrated keyboard-waste of space. You can simply use the one on the screen. There are also alot of good voice activated features.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Mobi...H_SPH_I700.asp

Brian C/5
    http://bspill1.home.comcast.net

Thanks for the advice, Brian and Scott.

I have so much trouble writing on paper that I never considered Graffiti a viable option. But now that I think about it, I can see how it would work for me. Especially with a stylus like this:

http://www.truetip.com/

I'm going to check out that Samsung smartphone. It's a great looking device. How do you mount it on your armrest, Brian. Any chance you could post a photo of it mounted on your chair?

Thanks.

Thanks for posting the pictures, Brian. The simple solutions always seem to work best.