Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Botox injections to the external urethral sphincter

Botox injections to the external urethral sphincter

Folks,
    I've read quite a few posts about urinary issue. Everything from leakage to disliking the time it takes to cath and in some cases, folks who do not have the mobility to cath independently.

Now, with the fact that every time you introduce a foreign object like a catheter into the bladder there is an opportunity to introduce an infection; I do not understand why more are not seeking methods to eliminate the need for catheterization. Anyway I digress….

To quote one study, which I'm trying to get feedback on… but also what to an idea of who is getting injections it into the bladder as well.
    "Botulinum toxin injection into the external urinary sphincter in spinal cord injured men with detrusor-sphincter dyssynergia has been reported. We expand the clinical use of botulinum toxin for a variety of bladder outlet obstructions and to decrease outlet resistance in patients with a contractile detrusor but who wish to void by the Valsalva maneuver."

I realize that this method may not work on all but; if folks could respond and indicate the following. I would greatly appreciate it.

1) Yes; I receive Botox injections into my:
    A: external urethral sphincter
    B: Bladder

2) I have this preformed at ________

3) My insurance pays for this and I'm insured with _____________

4) I have the procedure perform on a _______ basis.

5) Yes / No; If the above procedure worked for me; I would like to have it done so I could eliminate catheterization.

I couldn't manipulate an intermittent catheter, so I had Botox injected into my bladder sphincter on Jan. 12. It might take a week or 2 to kick in.

peter was it injected in the internal sphincter

No, external.

Unfortunately I've heard Botox to the sphincters or sphincter does not work very well, its still all fairly new, but results thus far have not proved too encouraging. If I thought there was a chance of it working for me I'd be doing it too instead of a sphincterotomy.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

curt, are u doing a internal sphincterotomy

I believe the doc is going to blast through both internal and externals. The more easy I leak the better off I'll be in the long haul. I've had to external caths and where leg bags since 1981 anyhow so it really does not matter if I'm a little more incontinent than I am now. If I wanna not wear a bag for an hour or so I can always just do a intermittant cath and stay dry for that time as long as I dont drink too much before hand.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by wang View Post
    Folks,
    I've read quite a few posts about urinary issue. Everything from leakage to disliking the time it takes to cath and in some cases, folks who do not have the mobility to cath independently.

Now, with the fact that every time you introduce a foreign object like a catheter into the bladder there is an opportunity to introduce an infection; I do not understand why more are not seeking methods to eliminate the need for catheterization. Anyway I digress….

To quote one study, which I'm trying to get feedback on… but also what to an idea of who is getting injections it into the bladder as well.
    "Botulinum toxin injection into the external urinary sphincter in spinal cord injured men with detrusor-sphincter dyssynergia has been reported. We expand the clinical use of botulinum toxin for a variety of bladder outlet obstructions and to decrease outlet resistance in patients with a contractile detrusor but who wish to void by the Valsalva maneuver."

I realize that this method may not work on all but; if folks could respond and indicate the following. I would greatly appreciate it.

1) Yes; I receive Botox injections into my:
    A: external urethral sphincter
    B: Bladder

2) I have this preformed at ___USC - Dr. Ginsberg_____

3) My insurance pays for this and I'm insured with _____Blue Cross________

4) I have the procedure perform on a ____every 6 mos___ basis.

5) Yes / No; If the above procedure worked for me; I would like to have it done so I could eliminate catheterization.
    Yes, it works in that I don't have to cath as much; bladder can hold more urine. No leaking

i get this done once a year and it is life changing for me. the first week after getting the procedure sucks but once that's over i take a leak a lot less often and have more time to get to a bathroom to do my thing

btw i have had it done in san diego and milwaukee through the VA so it is covered for me