Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas needed for cardio

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ideas needed for cardio

Hi all. My husband and I go to the gym 3-4 days a week and then have basketball practice 2 times a week (with games possibly on weekends) and we also play hockey. We lift weights, and shoot some baskets there, and try to do cardio. However, the only piece of cardio equipment they have at the gym that we can use is the arm bike. While that is great, I really would like to have some other options. Does anyone have any other ideas what we can do for cardio? I know the vitaglide is awesome...but that is just not in the budget right now. Any help would be appreciated.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Hand-cycling and swimming are both good cardiac/aerobic exercises.

(KLD)

vitaglide.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I do handcycle...but right now it is in storage due to the loads of snow we get during this time of the year and my condo is just not big enough. Swimming is an option...need to talk to the gym about that.

Fuente...would love a vitaglide...but do not have the funds to get that. I have asked the gym to look into purchasing one since we are not the only wheelies who belong to that gym.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Are you guys doing line drills at bb practise. When playing with the Cablecars, we did those for a good hour before even touching the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Are you guys doing line drills at bb practise. When playing with the Cablecars, we did those for a good hour before even touching the ball.
    Our practices consist of the following:

Layups from the right
    Layups down the middle
    Stop and shoot
    Layups from the left
    3 on 2 2 on 1 drill

then we do a few of the following:

a. two hard pushes and then stop...then 2 hard pushes then stop...with or without someone hanging onto the back of your chair

b. sprints the length of the court... either with someone holding on to you or not

c. twist and turn drills (start on one side of the lane...push hard to the other side...twist to the left...to the right...to the left...then back to the other side and repeat)

d. pushing backwards with someone hanging on to your chair

e. trains (where one person pulls the whole team)

f. Another version of the twist and turn drill...where you have a partner and you start on one side of them...when the whistle blows...you pull back, turn to the outside, loop around behind your partner and end up on the other side. You continue doing this and count how many you can do in a minute

Then we do drills, scrimmage, and free throws...so we do some cardio.

Loks like a good workout WC. Congrats. I agree with some of the others, do a different form of Cardio other than the constant pushing motion. Your body is used to that motion so the cardio is not as great due to the great shape you're in. Since a VG is not for you yet, KLD has the best "cheap" option with probably the greatest benefit, swimming.

I'd sure push, no pun intended, for your gym to buy a VG. Dang, the worst that's going to happen is that they would bring in more money for a reasonable piece of equip. that both wheelers and a/b's can use.

Never can do enough can we lol. P

There is a series of exercise dvds called "Chair Aerobics for Everyone".
    Titles in the series include Chair Boxing, Chair Salsa, Chair Bellydance,
    Circuit Training Beach Party, & more.
    Have you tried working out to these or any other sitting exercise dvds?

Quote Originally Posted by Crashbang View Post
    There is a series of exercise dvds called "Chair Aerobics for Everyone".
    Titles in the series include Chair Boxing, Chair Salsa, Chair Bellydance,
    Circuit Training Beach Party, & more.
    Have you tried working out to these or any other sitting exercise dvds?

Never heard of them...although I have done on occasion wii boxing...but never worked out with a dvd. Will have to check those out.

Not exciting, but I have an exercise routine for my shoulders. It mixes up therabands with a few minutes of cardio between sets. In the gym, I use a handcycle, but at home, I either bounce a kids ball off the wall, or roll my arms, hand over hand, quickly.

Kind of tedious, but it works. Guess it would compare to jogging in place.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005