Thread: Blood Red Jelly Fish in the Arctic

Blood Red Jelly Fish in the Arctic

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...75_600x450.jpg

Blood-Red Jellyfish
    Photograph by Kevin Raskoff

December 11, 2009--In the black depths of the frigid Arctic Ocean, scientists on a 2005 expedition found a splash of color: The brilliant, blood-red Crossota norvegica jellyfish (pictured).

The creature was spotted by a remotely operated vehicle 8,530 feet (2,600 meters) underwater during a two-month National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) expedition to the Canada Basin, the deepest and least explored part of the Arctic waters.

Though C. norvegica is not a new species, several new deep-sea animals were discovered during the expedition--some of which were announced in recent research papers in 2009.

More...

But the usual jelly fish is red here too. Is this a new kind? It is burning but it is only uncomfertable, not dangerous
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    But the usual jelly fish is red here too. Is this a new kind? It is burning but it is only uncomfertable, not dangerous
    Benthe, apparently it is not a newly discovered species. It is just a bit unusual that they have found these in the frigid waters of the arctic ocean. Wise.

Now, I am stupid, but the sea water is never colder than -4C so why is it unusal to find the jelly fish then in the North Atlantic. I mean, even here the fjord is getting ice in the winter and the jelly fish survieve?

Well, Jelly fishes is not one of my spesiallities, I don't know too much about them.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    Now, I am stupid, but the sea water is never colder than -4C so why is it unusal to find the jelly fish then in the North Atlantic. I mean, even here the fjord is getting ice in the winter and the jelly fish survieve?

Well, Jelly fishes is not one of my spesiallities, I don't know too much about them.
    Benthe, it is not the temperature but that they can find food in such a frigid environment. The Jellyfish must eat something and it simply means that there is food in the Arctic ocean, enough to sustain a population of blood red jellyfish. Wise.

OK, thank you, I learned a new thing
    TH 12, 43 years post

Somewhat related - I'm presently listening to Nansen's account of his polar expedition in the 1890's. He mentions finding copious life in the sea under the arctic ice; at latitudes (at least) around 78 degrees.
    Cold water can hold much more oxygen than warm.
    Last edited by rfbdorf; 01-11-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: corrected the latitude!

You don't know how small his boat was. You wouldn't believe it if you saw it
    TH 12, 43 years post

I'd love to see the Fram. Nansen put a lot of thought into her design and fitting. Grand piano, windmill to generate electricity and all! He must have been quite a guy.

It is a small museum in Oslo besides the museum for the viking ships. I have some of the books of Nansen after my father. He did a lot of other things too. Well, this is Norwegian history at school He even got the Nobel Peace prize

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fram_Museum
    TH 12, 43 years post