Thread: Nerve pain and older dogs .....

Nerve pain and older dogs .....

I took the dog to the vet recently, for her checkup, and we discussed the fact that she has slowed down a lot, probably has some arthritis.

The vet perscribed some pain meds for her (doggie ibuprofen it seems to me) and commented that she might feel worse if it is cold or rainy, or if there is a storm coming. And that I probably want to be sure to give them to her on those days.

OK .... if MY back hurts, give the DOG a pill, got it. LOL

(reminiscent of the theory if mom is cold, the kids have to wear a sweater. )
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Yep, the dogs and the people do tend to match.

Dogs can take many (but not all!) medications as humans do. Rimadyl, Metacam, Deramaxx to name a few are indeed like doggy Ibuprofen - they are NSAIDS. Dogs cannot, however, take human nsaids like ibuprofen, etc. They also cannot take tylenol So for this class of medication, they need the doggy ones.

If the dog starts to have a harder time, tramadol is a good drug to try in addition to the NDAIDS, and should be cheap besides.

My dog gets acupuncture.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I give my dog childrens benadryl cuz in the spring/summer she licks her toes alot & always seems to help. I gave her baby aspirin when she injured her leg & I had her on doggie bedrest.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Benadryl is usually safe for dogs, in the appropriate doses.

Aspirin can cause problems - generally only buffered aspirin is recommended for dogs, and still is not a first choice. They can get GI bleeding from aspirin, I'd really suggest talking to a vet before giving a dog aspirin.

We give our dog a supplement called something like Synovi-MSM. It had a very good effect - from rising & walking quite slowly & painfully (arthritis), she moved like she was years younger. The company making the stuff was shut down by the FDA last year (I don't think it was related to this product, but I don't know - they were a major veterinary supplier); don't know when they'll restart. Our supply will run out in about 3 months. Definitely good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    I took the dog to the vet recently, for her checkup, and we discussed the fact that she has slowed down a lot, probably has some arthritis.

The vet perscribed some pain meds for her (doggie ibuprofen it seems to me) and commented that she might feel worse if it is cold or rainy, or if there is a storm coming. And that I probably want to be sure to give them to her on those days.

OK .... if MY back hurts, give the DOG a pill, got it. LOL

(reminiscent of the theory if mom is cold, the kids have to wear a sweater. )

That's an easy way to know when to give it. lol

Yea, I though it was funny Mona .... the reason I posted it actually.

Tam, it is Rimadyl she is taking.

rfbdorf, we also are giving her a glucosamine chondroitin supplement, googling what you have it seems that it is primarily glucosamine plus MSM .... I will have to ask the vet about the MSM.

It does seem to have made a big difference in just the short amount of time we have been doing it.

We have given her baby aspirin in the past too .... particurally one time when she hurt her hip, and we were away. The vet on the phone advised it as a temporary measure.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Rimadyl is a good drug. Actually, it is the only doggy nsaid that is claimed to actually slow down the rate of cartilage degeneration in arthritis.

Many with older dogs just maintain them on a daily dose of Rimadyl or similar, rather than waiting until they are in pain. Perhaps a chronic lower dose, and a higher dose on a bad day. I don't know if your dog needs this, at this point.

Good for you asking the vet before the aspirin

I AGREE..I found this online too..

Do not give aspirin to very young dogs as their body is not able to process it properly. NEVER give aspirin to Cats as it can be fatal!

Never use Tylenol as it is toxic to the liver. Never use Ibuprofen (Nuprin,Motrin, Advil etc) as it can be fatal even if given in low doses. Do not use the enteric coated type of aspirin. Most of the time, the coating is not digested in dogs and the aspirin will be excreted in the stool.

Aspirin can be toxic if given in high doses. Even baby aspirin could be poisonous to dogs weighing 2 lbs. or less. An adult aspirin would be toxic to a 10 lb. dog. Please carefully note the correct dosage for your dog!
    Use 5 grain (325 mg) tablets.
    A 15-20 lb dog would take ¼ tablet twice a day. A 30-40 lb dog would take ½ tablet twice a day. A 60-80 lb dog would take 1 tablet twice a day.
    Here is a chart that might make it easier.
    Weight of dog in pounds Number of tablets each 12 hours mg
    8 1/2 baby aspirin or less 40 mg
    16 1 baby aspirin 80 mg
    32 1/2 adult or 2 baby 160 mg
    48 3/4 adult or 3 baby 240 mg
    64 1 adult or 4 baby 320 mg
    80 1 1/4 adult or 5 baby 400 mg
    96 1 1/2 adult or 6 baby 480 mg

There is a possibility that gastric ulcers can develop. If your dogs stops eating, or has blood tinged vomit, then please stop giving aspirin.

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    Benadryl is usually safe for dogs, in the appropriate doses.

Aspirin can cause problems - generally only buffered aspirin is recommended for dogs, and still is not a first choice. They can get GI bleeding from aspirin, I'd really suggest talking to a vet before giving a dog aspirin.