Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCI temps?

SCI temps?

Is there a study that has been done on what a typical SCI temp is?

I know I'm cold, but between the frigid temps being soaked from "sweats" some days I'm literally chattering teeth.

I took my temp and it was 101.5...figured, a-ha! Took Nyquil, wrapped myself in towels and bean bags and felt ok yesterday.

Before bed temp was 96.2.

Just curious as if 98.6 is the norm for aging SCI's?

Mine "normally" is 96.0ish.
    Last edited by Liz321; 01-10-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: temp chnage
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

mine is usually 99 -101.

I'm usually 98. At 101 your body is telling you something if you are normally 97.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

I am 35.5C, 96F, normally and that is low.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Mine is normaly 96-97 range that is with multiple thermometers, so I figure pretty accurate.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'm usually 98. At 101 your body is telling you something if you are normally 97.
    Yes, I'm aware of that. I am running a fever. I am just curious as to when I'm not running a fever what the "norm" is.

thanks!

so just from the few responses "we" don't appear to run a normal body temp?
    just looking if there's a study....
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Great question, Ms. Liz! I've been wanting to know the answer for a long time.

There's a Discovery Health channel documentary called, "Paralyzed and Pregnant" that follows a quad just before, during, and right after she has her first baby. In it, she gets a UTI and states something to the effect that since most people with SCI have a body temp that's below average (hers was 97, the same as mine), her doctor understands that a 100 degree fever for her is comparable to an AB running a fever of 102 and needs to be treated accordingly.

I've been trying without success to find documentation of this because my local ER refuses to understand that what they consider to be a low-grade fever in average folk is actually a high fever for me because my baseline is not 98.6.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

my 'normal' is 97.6. Many times it's lower and I feel feverish in the high 99's but don't treat till 101. Feel better Liz.

Mine is all over the place. They say Cauda Equina don't suffer the weird temp shifts but in any given day I'm in shorts and a T then cords and flannel back to the sweats.

96-101 si the range. My doc takes my temp but asks me where I am on my "variable norm". Only prob is in the hospital where they really like a stable temp
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Hi,

I agree that in general there is no "norm" except for your own pattern, however in my experience, it usually runs lower rather than higher.

AAD