Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just a thought for a fix.

Just a thought for a fix.

When I was injured I was told that a spinal cord could not be fixed, at least not the way it was before it was severed. I had to ask why and a Dr. explained it like this.

We can put it back together but when your brain sends a message to move your right leg, we might have it connected to your left hand. And then went on to explain what the spinal cord looks like. If you can imagine a rope, it is made up of a whole bunch of single strands that all look the same and we don't know which one goes to which one so the messages from the brain would get all messed up once they reach the repaired part of the cord. I accepted that answer whether it was correct or incorrect and got on with my life.

Now I am wondering, with all the new things and ideas that have developed since then, why can't we so to speak "make" the spinal cord a repairable thing. With a single injection the spinal cord could maybe be color coded. This of course would have to be done before an injury occured. With all the tiny strands color coded they could at least be connected back to the same one it was cut off of.

This whole thing might be way off in left field but if it would be that way, who would want to get an injection? Being so few of us experience SPI and know first hand what it is like, everyone else would be saying "I don't want or need an injection because it won't happen to me" and so many of them would be right.

We get some long hard cold winters up here, I won't mind if you my theory in the ground
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

your doctor is an idiot or a liar. that is not how it works.

DA, The explaination was 40 years ago, has the spinal cord changed since then? What is your version of how it works?
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    DA, The explaination was 40 years ago, has the spinal cord changed since then? What is your version of how it works?
    you need to do some research. this site explains it well. but i will give you a lead. to repair the spinal cord will require regeneration and not reconnection. ok, some reconnection....

Oldtimer, I understand exactly what you are saying. Like you I was injured 40+ years ago and that is pretty much how it was explained to me. My doc used the example of a branch from a tree. He said if these were severed we wouldn't know which strands should connect to where they were originally connected to for the branch of a tree to grow back and repair itself. He even used an example of a telephone cable line if it were to be split in half.

I like your idea of color coding. Could you just see it now if we were really close to a cure. Nerve endings would grow back but not to the original. lol then as we try to move our left or right arm/leg the other would be going on us.

Seriously, I don't see your idea out in left field. Today I have to believe there are more sci's than 40 years ago. More cars per families and much more emphasis on sports than back then. I think the rate of an sci occurring today is highly more probable than some may think just because of this.

I'm with ya Oldtimer and Cara. That's how it was explained to me. I think for we "Oldtimers", it's not a matter of a "Cure" as to keeping a person healthy and saving the shoulders after so many years of "draggin' our sorry asses thru life".

The importnt thing is to be in shape and ready in the event there is a cure. If there isn't, then we need to be in shape to go thru life in a chair.

So while you're waiting for the cure, get out there and maximize your potential with what you have left.

Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    you need to do some research. this site explains it well. but i will give you a lead. to repair the spinal cord will require regeneration and not reconnection. ok, some reconnection....
    Don't we need reconnection before regeneration?

OK, thats 3 of us from different parts of the country that were told pretty much the same thing as far as a fix. If we can't be fixed they why isn't there reserch being done to prepair for a fix before it happens. Because the numbers are so few? It's kind of like back in the 50's, 60's and early 70's when gas prices went up, someone would make a carburetor that would get 50-100 mpg and right away the oil companies would buy it up for huge $$. And look at gas prices now and mpg, evidently someone didn't see that coming.

Oh gawd my head hurts.

old, when the nerves are damaged/cut, the side opposite the neuron dies and is absorbed into the body. there is nothing to connect too on the other side. the nerve must be regrown./regenerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    When I was injured I was told that a spinal cord could not be fixed, at least not the way it was before it was severed. I had to ask why and a Dr. explained it like this.

We can put it back together but when your brain sends a message to move your right leg, we might have it connected to your left hand. And then went on to explain what the spinal cord looks like. If you can imagine a rope, it is made up of a whole bunch of single strands that all look the same and we don't know which one goes to which one so the messages from the brain would get all messed up once they reach the repaired part of the cord. I accepted that answer whether it was correct or incorrect and got on with my life.

Now I am wondering, with all the new things and ideas that have developed since then, why can't we so to speak "make" the spinal cord a repairable thing. With a single injection the spinal cord could maybe be color coded. This of course would have to be done before an injury occured. With all the tiny strands color coded they could at least be connected back to the same one it was cut off of.

This whole thing might be way off in left field but if it would be that way, who would want to get an injection? Being so few of us experience SPI and know first hand what it is like, everyone else would be saying "I don't want or need an injection because it won't happen to me" and so many of them would be right.

We get some long hard cold winters up here, I won't mind if you my theory in the ground
    We have learned a lot since your doctor went to school and learned that the spinal cord cannot be fixed. I was told the same thing when I graduated from medical school and decided to do spinal cord injury research. My mentor came to me and told me bluntly to find another field, such as memory or synaptic function. What is so interesting about studying death of cells. After all, that is what spinal cord injury is about. Regenerating the spinal cord is not possible and therefore why try?

Today, I think that most doctors and scientists think differently about both spinal cord injury and what needs to be done to repair the spinal cord. But, first, it is very important to get rid of the misapprehensions that your doctor of the past told you about regeneration and the difficulties of reconnecting multiple strands of a rope that has been cut. So, here are some wrong ideas that are no longer believed to be true.

1. You need to have most of the connections of the your spinal cord in order to function. This turns out to be false. Not only do you not need a majority of connections in your spinal cord, much evidence suggest that as little as 10% will do. For example, many people are able to learn to walk again with only about 10% of the connections in their spinal cord.

2. One requires specific connections from brain neurons to neurons in the spinal cord that controls specific muscles. This turns out to be false, as well. Yes, brain neurons do send axons to the spinal cord to connect with mononeurons but one can lose all these direct connections and still be able to control very complicated motor functions, particularly walking. There is a central pattern generator (CPG) that generates all the types of locomotion.

3. Spinal axons cannot grow. This is false. Much evidence now suggests that if you give spinal axons a path to grow, they will not only take it but will grow all the down that path to reconnect with neurons. In fact, it appears that spinal axons are continuously trying to grow across the injury site. So, regeneration is largely of providing a path of the axons to grow and giving sufficient growth factors to get sustained growth over months or even years.

Wise.