Thread: Radio Micro-Stimulators Developed To Treat Spinal Cord Injuries

Arrow Radio Micro-Stimulators Developed To Treat Spinal Cord Injuries

This is incredible stuff. I just happened to have the Army Times sent to me from NYC and this article was in it. I can´t believe this has been in development for some nine years now and has evaded our radar. One thing not mentioned in the article is how soon the stimulators were implanted after injury. Wish I could see how it looks and feels for myself! I can imagine this would be a huge benefit for you walkers out there having problems with only certain muscles.

.................................................. .................................................. .

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/1...ators_112009w/

Radio devices may help injured, group says

By Rick Maze - Staff writer
    Posted : Friday Nov 20, 2009 14:57:29 EST
    A nonprofit medical foundation is trying to convince the Defense Department to loosen restrictions on the radio spectrum to allow wide use of micro-stimulators to treat spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries and other disorders that restrict or prevent movement.
    David Hankin, chief executive officer of the Alfred Mann Foundation, said Friday the California-based medical research organization has been working for nine years on technology that implants micro-stimulators in paralyzed or impaired limbs to produce small electrical pulses that stimulate nerves and muscle tissue. In some cases, this allows mobility or function in limbs. In other cases, it prevents atrophy, Hankin said.
    The tiny devices, about the size of a car fuse, are magnetically rechargeable so they can remain implanted for up to 10 years, Hankin said.
    The foundation has been involved with research and development of several advanced medical devices, including a hearing implant, retinal prosthesis and an implantable glucose sensor for diabetics.

The technology was tested in November 2008 on a Walter Reed Army Medical Center patient who had suffered a spinal cord injury in a bicycle accident, succeeding in restoring hip, knee and ankle function, Hankin said.

The former Army officer, who did not want his name released, was able to move his limbs without electrical stimulation five months after they were inserted. This is a sign of the potential of the device that is expected to be part of clinic trials in Army and Navy hospitals and within the Veterans Affairs Department, Hankin said.

Micro-simulators that send the electrical pulses are implanted in the limbs and are controlled by a master unit that communicates by radio signal. It communicates using a portion of the radio spectrum reserved for the federal government. Hankin said the part of the spectrum needed by the device is used by the Defense Department, which is considering the foundation’s request to share the space.

The Defense Department “has not said no, which is a good thing,” Hankin said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    More info:

http://www.aemf.org/research.asp
    Last edited by Mike C; 01-10-2010 at 11:44 AM.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Well sounds good. Feds have tons cash to try things out.
    oh well

Thank you for sharing the news link. After researching further; I learned that Bioness (creators of the Bioness H-200 & L-300) are the owners of this technology. As an owner and daily user of the Bioness device, I look forward to the implant method. Thanks again!