Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 100

Thread: 'Avatar' Gets Mixed Praise From Paraplegics

  1. #81
    01/19/2010 42-year-old man dies after watching Avatar A 42-year-old man in Taiwan with a history of high blood pressure has died after watching the blockbuster movie Avatar. The man, surnamed Kuo, started to feel unwell during a recent screening in the northern city of Hsinchu and was taken to hospital. On arrival the man was unconscious and a scan showed he was suffering a brain hemorrhage. Mr Kuo died eleven days later from his symptoms.
    Doctor Peng Chin-chih told news agency AFP on Tuesday that it is likely that over-excitement while watching the movie triggered the brain hemorrhage.
    Mr Kuo's case is the first death to be linked to the science fiction movie. Several film blogging sites however have reported complaints of headaches and dizziness from watching the movie with its 3D special effects.
    Meanwhile Hong Kong's Apple Daily has reported that the highly-successful Avatar is to be pulled from most cinemas in China. The newspaper said this is because of concerns that the film could cause social unrest. The film deals with the colonization and exploitation of an alien planet. Chinese bloggers in China have reportedly drawn parallels with vulnerable people in China who are at risk of losing their homes to property developers.

    http://english.rti.org.tw/Content/Ge...ontentID=94442

  2. #82
    Hi everybody,
    .....i am late but i have seen this movie only now.
    My opinion?? I got 2 messages. One very bad and the other very good
    The bad one is: many times a cure exists; it is only question of power and money….
    The goods one is: also if we have a disability we have never to let mind die out. Mind can make great things, it is a very big power (together with heart) and fighting with a big courage and determination, things can also be changed
    Arcy

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by arcy View Post
    Hi everybody,
    .....i am late but i have seen this movie only now.
    My opinion?? I got 2 messages. One very bad and the other very good
    The bad one is: many times a cure exists; it is only question of power and money….
    The goods one is: also if we have a disability we have never to let mind die out. Mind can make great things, it is a very big power (together with heart) and fighting with a big courage and determination, things can also be changed
    Arcy
    Arcy,

    Great points. I agree.

    I went to see the movie a second time with my wife, who had refused initially to see it but acquiesced after I came back with glowing stories and she read that the movie had messages about the environment as well. She came back very enthusiastic about the movie and said that the movie presents a very high bar for future movies, not only technologically and visionarily but in the way it treats people with disability and women.

    The perspective on women was very interesting because I was looking at the movie mostly from the perspective of how it treated a person in a wheelchair. My wife pointed out that the females in the movie were fighters and that the movie portrayed women as being competent and having leadership, courage and strength.

    Wise.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by weimin View Post
    01/19/2010 42-year-old man dies after watching Avatar A 42-year-old man in Taiwan with a history of high blood pressure has died after watching the blockbuster movie Avatar. The man, surnamed Kuo, started to feel unwell during a recent screening in the northern city of Hsinchu and was taken to hospital. On arrival the man was unconscious and a scan showed he was suffering a brain hemorrhage. Mr Kuo died eleven days later from his symptoms.
    Doctor Peng Chin-chih told news agency AFP on Tuesday that it is likely that over-excitement while watching the movie triggered the brain hemorrhage.
    Mr Kuo's case is the first death to be linked to the science fiction movie. Several film blogging sites however have reported complaints of headaches and dizziness from watching the movie with its 3D special effects.
    Meanwhile Hong Kong's Apple Daily has reported that the highly-successful Avatar is to be pulled from most cinemas in China. The newspaper said this is because of concerns that the film could cause social unrest. The film deals with the colonization and exploitation of an alien planet. Chinese bloggers in China have reportedly drawn parallels with vulnerable people in China who are at risk of losing their homes to property developers.

    http://english.rti.org.tw/Content/Ge...ontentID=94442
    I am sort of surprised that there is a plan in China to pull this movie early because of political implications. I am skeptical because most Chinese think that they have handled their indigenous minorities much better than other countries. Therefore, Avatar should appeal to both the people and the government. I therefore searched on internet for more stories.

    According to the Hindustan Times, Chinese officials confirmed a controversial plan to pull the 2D version of the film early from theaters. The 3D versions will remain until February 26, as originally planned. These reports had apparently sparked a furor of discussion on Chinese internet that the government did not want Avatar to compete with movie Confucius. Thus, it is more likely that whatever plans there are for pulling the 2D version, it emanates from commercial rather than political reasons.

    But some people have suggested that there may be some nervousness about the possibility that the movie might stimulate violence by those who are upset about forced evictions from their property (Source) However, the fact that there is no plan for pulling the 3D version of the movie suggests that this is not an effort to shut down the movie for political reasons. People should understand also the significance of coming four weeks. The Chinese New Year will be around Valentine's day this year. The weeks preceding and following the Chinese New Year (also called the Spring Festival) are by far the biggest movie weeks of the year for the Chinese. There is intense competition for movies to be shown on screens and it is understandable that the Chinese movie industry would want take out an American blockbuster film and to reserve as many of their screens as possible for Chinese movies. (Source)

    In my opinion, the stories claiming that Avatar is being "banned" are inaccurate. Only the 2D version will be pulled. Both 2D and 3D version of Avatar have been running nearly 3 weeks and have broken all box office records. The 3D version is very popular and account for over a third of the revenues. In the first two weeks, the movie already earned over ¥500 million (US$73.2 million), exceeding the previous 4-week earnings of Sony's "2012" of $67.5 million. It is likely that the revenues will exceed ¥1 billon by February 22, when the 3D version will be taken off the screen, making 2 or perhaps even 3 times greater than any previous movie in China.

    The State Administration of Radio, Film, and Television told Reuters that it was a purely commercial decision and that the government does not interfere, pointing out that
    'The box office performance of the 2D version has not been great, whereas it's been really hard to get tickets for the 3D version,' and ''So it's normal to take the 2D version off the screens. There'll be no change for the 3D version.' Avatar is already widely available on pirated DVDs in China.
    (Source)

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Arcy,

    Great points. I agree.

    I went to see the movie a second time with my wife, who had refused initially to see it but acquiesced after I came back with glowing stories and she read that the movie had messages about the environment as well. She came back very enthusiastic about the movie and said that the movie presents a very high bar for future movies, not only technologically and visionarily but in the way it treats people with disability and women.

    The perspective on women was very interesting because I was looking at the movie mostly from the perspective of how it treated a person in a wheelchair. My wife pointed out that the females in the movie were fighters and that the movie portrayed women as being competent and having leadership, courage and strength.

    Wise.
    Yes Wise,
    A new point of view. I didn’t notice it too….and I am a woman!
    Your wife is right. I think women have all along had an important role in actions. (in fact we use to say: behind a great man there is always a great woman). In this movie woman are really not behind and it is probably something completly new.
    Arcy

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    I am sort of surprised that there is a plan in China to pull this movie early because of political implications. I am skeptical because most Chinese think that they have handled their indigenous minorities much better than other countries. Therefore, Avatar should appeal to both the people and the government. I therefore searched on internet for more stories.

    According to the Hindustan Times, Chinese officials confirmed a controversial plan to pull the 2D version of the film early from theaters. The 3D versions will remain until February 26, as originally planned. These reports had apparently sparked a furor of discussion on Chinese internet that the government did not want Avatar to compete with movie Confucius. Thus, it is more likely that whatever plans there are for pulling the 2D version, it emanates from commercial rather than political reasons.

    But some people have suggested that there may be some nervousness about the possibility that the movie might stimulate violence by those who are upset about forced evictions from their property (Source) However, the fact that there is no plan for pulling the 3D version of the movie suggests that this is not an effort to shut down the movie for political reasons. People should understand also the significance of coming four weeks. The Chinese New Year will be around Valentine's day this year. The weeks preceding and following the Chinese New Year (also called the Spring Festival) are by far the biggest movie weeks of the year for the Chinese. There is intense competition for movies to be shown on screens and it is understandable that the Chinese movie industry would want take out an American blockbuster film and to reserve as many of their screens as possible for Chinese movies. (Source)

    In my opinion, the stories claiming that Avatar is being "banned" are inaccurate. Only the 2D version will be pulled. Both 2D and 3D version of Avatar have been running nearly 3 weeks and have broken all box office records. The 3D version is very popular and account for over a third of the revenues. In the first two weeks, the movie already earned over ¥500 million (US$73.2 million), exceeding the previous 4-week earnings of Sony's "2012" of $67.5 million. It is likely that the revenues will exceed ¥1 billon by February 22, when the 3D version will be taken off the screen, making 2 or perhaps even 3 times greater than any previous movie in China.

    The State Administration of Radio, Film, and Television told Reuters that it was a purely commercial decision and that the government does not interfere, pointing out that (Source)

    Hi Dr Wise,

    Thanks for the comments!

    It seems that the commercial reasons for making profits from the movie is stronger than the political reason of social unrest. But why do they need to cite a political reason for pulling out the 2D version rather than the more apparent commercial reason that the 2D version is not making money?

    Dr Wise, which 3D version did you watch the Avatar 3D in? I heard that there are 3 different versionsolby 3D, RealD and XpanD. I watched the one at iwerks with RealID. Seems quite an immersive experience except that I sat at the corner instead of the centre so the viewing was somewhat less than perfect.

    Weimin

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by arcy View Post
    Hi everybody,
    .....i am late but i have seen this movie only now.
    My opinion?? I got 2 messages. One very bad and the other very good
    The bad one is: many times a cure exists; it is only question of power and money….
    The goods one is: also if we have a disability we have never to let mind die out. Mind can make great things, it is a very big power (together with heart) and fighting with a big courage and determination, things can also be changed
    Arcy
    Well well.... I see the fight we had over the phone produced some good thinking :-))) I didn't see the movie, probably I should....
    But I think that what you say is the bad message it is actually the good one, the one that will help us in our fight for the cure, because people will start to think a cure will be possible like in "Avatar", we just't can't accept that the cure will take long time to come just because no enough money are being spent for SCI research.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Well well.... I see the fight we had over the phone produced some good thinking :-))) I didn't see the movie, probably I should....
    But I think that what you say is the bad message it is actually the good one, the one that will help us in our fight for the cure, because people will start to think a cure will be possible like in "Avatar", we just't can't accept that the cure will take long time to come just because no enough money are being spent for SCI research.
    ....mmmhh..... :-)

    i think yours can be a different and nice reading of this part.

    It will be interesting to know how many people got this message

    Arcy

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Well well.... I see the fight we had over the phone produced some good thinking :-))) I didn't see the movie, probably I should....
    But I think that what you say is the bad message it is actually the good one, the one that will help us in our fight for the cure, because people will start to think a cure will be possible like in "Avatar", we just't can't accept that the cure will take long time to come just because no enough money are being spent for SCI research.
    Paolo,

    I was just thinking that the Avatar is not the first science fiction (i.e. future) movie to claim that spinal cord injury is curable. But, for some reason, I could not think of any specific movie that does so. Star Wars of course showed Luke Skywalker getting back an artificial hand. A number of movies showed people being cloned (including Arnold Schwartzenegger). If anybody can think of a movie that states that spinal cord injury is cured, it would be very useful to have a list of such movies.

    Avatar is the first move that I remember that makes such an explicit statement about cure of spinal cord injury. It basically says that by 2150, it has been cured. It does say that it is very expensive and implied that it is something that even the Marine Corp could buy for their spinal-injured marines, presuming that the word Marines mean the same thing in 2150 as it means today. This is one of the reasons why I think that it would be great if we could get James Cameron to commit to the cause of curing spinal cord injury. His vision of 2150 is that spinal cord injury would be cured. I applaud that vision.

    Wise.

  10. #90
    Senior Member Foolish Old's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    16,412
    If an available cure is rationed by price, that shouldn't be a problem for James Cameron. Avatar just became the highest grossing film EVER. That sure didn't take long. It is widely reported that Cameron's deal grants him 5-8% of the GROSS! Cameron's accomplishment takes on added significance when you remember what film Avatar knocked out of the number one spot.

    Guess I'm going to have to break down and travel off the rock to see it. First I have to overcome the feeling that doing so would be disloyal to the Smurfs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Paolo,

    I was just thinking that the Avatar is not the first science fiction (i.e. future) movie to claim that spinal cord injury is curable. But, for some reason, I could not think of any specific movie that does so. Star Wars of course showed Luke Skywalker getting back an artificial hand. A number of movies showed people being cloned (including Arnold Schwartzenegger). If anybody can think of a movie that states that spinal cord injury is cured, it would be very useful to have a list of such movies.

    Avatar is the first move that I remember that makes such an explicit statement about cure of spinal cord injury. It basically says that by 2150, it has been cured. It does say that it is very expensive and implied that it is something that even the Marine Corp could buy for their spinal-injured marines, presuming that the word Marines mean the same thing in 2150 as it means today. This is one of the reasons why I think that it would be great if we could get James Cameron to commit to the cause of curing spinal cord injury. His vision of 2150 is that spinal cord injury would be cured. I applaud that vision.

    Wise.
    Foolish

    "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

    "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •