Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 100

Thread: 'Avatar' Gets Mixed Praise From Paraplegics

  1. #61
    Senior Member DA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    beaumont tx usa
    Posts
    32,389
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkPals View Post
    Whatever you say, Leif. However, DA would have more credibility in this thread if he had seen the movie. Funny thing...I don't think most posters here are shy when it comes to advocating cure. Give people some credit, will ya?

    BTW, DA couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at three feet.
    my comment was never about the movie. i told dr young we the sci community is treated bad by society....

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Polet,
    Your post is exactly what I was thinking while I watched the movie, that this is light years away from the stereotypical "must die now" message of Million Dollar Baby. MDB actually made me quite angry, whereas Avatar gave me metaphorical wings, a smile, and the sense of freedom that all of us deserve.
    Million Dollar Baby didn't make me angry. It saddened me that we've progressed to keep people in horrid conditions alive, yet not cure them of their affliction.

    The film didn't make me angry because the victim herself wanted to die. Nobody made the choice for her or denied her care. She was unable to even kill herself. You know you have it pretty bad when you have to ask for someone to kill you because you can't even do it yourself.

    The message to Million Dollar Baby made a lot of sense, too. She could fight for something she could attain and loved the limelight, but she couldn't fight being unable to move from the neck down. I empathize with the victim in the film because I also feel my ambition left me when my physical abilities did.

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    17,427
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkPals View Post
    Whatever you say, Leif. However, DA would have more credibility in this thread if he had seen the movie. Funny thing...I don't think most posters here are shy when it comes to advocating cure. Give people some credit, will ya?

    BTW, DA couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at three feet.
    As for Million Dollar Baby. It was a film, but it was a realistic film about a person, fictive sure, but “living her life to the fullest” did happen (as many here on this board say over and over again how important that is, hope this is valid pre sci too?). Well, Million Dollar Baby did live, did perform die hard active sports, but sadly knocked her spine due to this. She did not want to live, took her life, the end. And don't come here saying that does not happen. Here on CC the elitists often are, meaning the ones managing despite sci problems. Just imagining the ones in this world, not only Americans without health insurances, but look to other countries, typical poor countries and then imagine, and then come back and say Million Dollar Baby was a bad movie not portraying “us” spinal cord injury victims in a good light. And not only that, check the best countries in the world, as for living (meaning the West) and say that does not happen. Heck the West and the Western spinal cord injury community don't even lay two fingers across to bring sci cures? Talk about that first, then comment on movies such as Million Dollar Baby.

  4. #64
    actually, million dollar baby was a short story long before the film. have you read it? written by a boxing trainer. forget the name, have the book of short stories...somewhere on these shelves. it IS fiction, however.

    ahh, quick google brought it up:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.X._Toole

    one of the issues in u.s. dis community about million dollar baby was clint eastwood. before the making of the movie, his resort was sued by a dis person and he actively fought the ADA in notification issues. actually, i basically agreed w/him (tho i take issue with 90 days notification on a law 20 yrs old). btw, the dis person in the lawsuit was apparently making false claims.
    Last edited by cass; 01-14-2010 at 01:12 AM.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    why bother coming to cure forum if you are so happy with sci? it is because you
    are not happy. attacking others as you always do is a sign of an angry vengeful
    soul. a happy soul helps others to find peace, you have always belittle others, including me.
    My Dear Da,

    First of all, I have never said that I am happy WITH SCI... I don't think that anybody would choose to have a disability in order to be happy.

    Secondly, my life is too busy & complicated to bother attacking and/or being a "vengeful soul" lol, sorry, but I prefer spending my free time sleeping, Starbucks or just out...

    Your peace is not in my hands DA, only yours. I just hate reading how you think that happiness will only come when you walk again. It takes more than working legs to be happy AND since it is a state of mind, it is not a permanent emotion. (I DO NOT MEAN THIS IN A RUDE/OFFENSIVE SENSE)

    Last, I do apologize if I have at any point belittled you with my opinion. It is NOT my intention, and I do admit that I am shocked to see that a person who is so "outspoken" about your sadness and disappointment towards society, researchers, etc, can feel belittled by me.
    Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    I thought Million Dollar Baby was realistical as for facts. Any want to argue aganist that?
    I do... But we can do it in a new/separate thread.
    Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    Thus, you're asking for your own opinion to be reinforced to you in films while condemning those of others?

    If people still find purpose and happiness living in horrible conditions, then bless them for it. However, if others can't or don't, then that is also their right. Quality of life is very subjective. Some are happy lacking things others have, while some who have everything aren't happy at all. The spectrum is vast and different.
    Sorry Todd, I don't get your point?

    I don't see any film focusing on DA's point of view, or mine for that matter. I just stated that I preferred movies like Avatar rather than Million Dollar Baby.

    I agree with you 100% on your statement about quality of life.
    Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Just imagining the ones in this world, not only Americans without health insurances, but look to other countries, typical poor countries and then imagine, and then come back and say Million Dollar Baby was a bad movie not portraying “us” spinal cord injury victims in a good light.

    I was born & injured in Venezuela (3rd world country) it was hell for MANY reasons, but I never felt that dying was the answer for me. I always wanted more.
    Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by ip View Post
    Just some reason I'm NOT going to see Avatar:

    1. Well-worn message the people are the 'problem'. I'm so tired of being trashed as a species.
    2. That the environment should be protected above people.
    3. That paralysis is so bad that you have to dump your current body [no I don't].
    4. That the Eastern religions [look up the name Avatar] are more enlightened than Christianity. So transparent.
    5. And on and on...
    ip,

    Thanks for giving these reasons. The reasons are eye-opening for me and I won't argue with the assumptions behind the reasons but just point out that whoever told you that the movie gave these messages was incorrect.

    1. I don't think that the movie gave the message that all people are the 'problem', only some people who are seeking to destroy it.

    2. Nor did the movie suggest that the environment should be protected above people. It suggested that the environment should be protected from some people, who think that it is okay to destroy it.

    3. It did not say that paralysis is so bad that you have to dump your body to escape it. In fact, Jake Sully could and would have chosen the other route of curing his body by medical treatment, which was offered to him if he betrayed the Na'vis. It was only after he closed the door on that possibility that he took the other route.

    4. I find it interesting that some people believe that an alien race should be depicted to have taken a human religion (Christianity or Hinduism). Didn't God give his only son to save humankind, not aliens of other worlds?

    4. Finally, avatar has four meanings. According to Mirriam-Webster http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Avatar
    1 : the incarnation of a Hindu deity (as Vishnu)
    2 a : an incarnation in human form b : an embodiment (as of a concept or philosophy) often in a person
    3 : a variant phase or version of a continuing basic entity
    4 : an electronic image that represents and is manipulated by a computer user (as in a computer game)
    The movie was not, at least not that I could discern, about Eastern religions.

    Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 01-14-2010 at 12:49 PM.

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    last house on the left
    Posts
    9,791
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    As for Million Dollar Baby. It was a film, but it was a realistic film about a person, fictive sure, but “living her life to the fullest” did happen (as many here on this board say over and over again how important that is, hope this is valid pre sci too?). Well, Million Dollar Baby did live, did perform die hard active sports, but sadly knocked her spine due to this. She did not want to live, took her life, the end. And don't come here saying that does not happen. Here on CC the elitists often are, meaning the ones managing despite sci problems. Just imagining the ones in this world, not only Americans without health insurances, but look to other countries, typical poor countries and then imagine, and then come back and say Million Dollar Baby was a bad movie not portraying “us” spinal cord injury victims in a good light. And not only that, check the best countries in the world, as for living (meaning the West) and say that does not happen. Heck the West and the Western spinal cord injury community don't even lay two fingers across to bring sci cures? Talk about that first, then comment on movies such as Million Dollar Baby.
    I am truly perplexed by your calling those managing despite sci problems elitist. Yes, a cure will be lovely when it comes, but what are we supposed to do in the meantime? Somehow I do not think that sitting around in a massive funk with a razor held to our carotid and listening to funerereal dirges is terribly helpful in the long run. There is nothing elitist about wanting to have a life, to seize whatever one can grab and enjoy. The reason Million Dollar Baby bothered me was that it seemed terribly inconsistent that someone who had worked as hard as she had to overcome her past would suddenly run out of fighting spirit. I know it happens, but statistically most of us choose to live, and the message the viewing public got is not one that I particularly favor. There is enough ignorance out there, enough people thinking (and saying) "I would rather be dead than live like that." The movie just reinforced that viewpoint as far as I am concerned.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •