Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 'Avatar' Gets Mixed Praise From Paraplegics

I have not seen the movie yet so I did not read the rest of the thread in case of spoilers but I bet that if I was in that situation it would go something like this:

“Wake up Jeff. The procedure was a success. It’s time to get accustomed to your new body.”

“Great! I can’t wait to… Hey, wait a minute! Why can’t I…?

“Uhhhh, there were some, umm, complications.”

“What do you mean complications?”

“Well the lab tech forgot to strap everything down securely before his smoke break and when he came back your new avatar how somehow ended up on the floor, annnnd it looks like it sustained some sort of spinal cord damage.”

“So you just stuck me in it anyway?!”

“It would have taken a few days to get a new avatar ordered and we were not sure that your insurance would cover it so we just went ahead with the procedure. But hey, you’re still blue and junk like that!”

“But that was the worst part of the whole thing!”

“Hey, don’t worry. We will hook you up in a sort of cart to one of those six legged wolf-lizard things. He’ll pull you around snickety poo!”

“Aren’t those things dangerous?”

“Just avoid making eye contact or startling it in any way and you’ll be fine.”

“Ok then. Where’s my cart?”

“You should have it in 6 to 8 weeks.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    I have not seen the movie yet so I did not read the rest of the thread in case of spoilers but I bet that if I was in that situation it would go something like this:

“Wake up Jeff. The procedure was a success. It’s time to get accustomed to your new body.”

“Great! I can’t wait to… Hey, wait a minute! Why can’t I…?

“Uhhhh, there were some, umm, complications.”

“What do you mean complications?”

“Well the lab tech forgot to strap everything down securely before his smoke break and when he came back your new avatar how somehow ended up on the floor, annnnd it looks like it sustained some sort of spinal cord damage.”

“So you just stuck me in it anyway?!”

“It would have taken a few days to get a new avatar ordered and we were not sure that your insurance would cover it so we just went ahead with the procedure. But hey, you’re still blue and junk like that!”

“But that was the worst part of the whole thing!”

“Hey, don’t worry. We will hook you up in a sort of cart to one of those six legged wolf-lizard things. He’ll pull you around snickety poo!”

“Aren’t those things dangerous?”

“Just avoid making eye contact or startling it in any way and you’ll be fine.”

“Ok then. Where’s my cart?”

“You should have it in 6 to 8 weeks.”

Talk about Murphy's Law lololol
    Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!

Cameron sees spinal cord injury as a "condition" that imposes limitations on the body but not the soul.
    Limitations on the body implies limitations on the soul irremediably (al last for quads).
    I hate the generalization about the SCI community
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

Quote Originally Posted by Polett View Post
    Speak for yourself DA... Not for nothing but I've been a member of CC for a few years, and you still whine in the same exact manner... What will you whine about the day you walk? Time wasted, life, food, air?..

I still believe life is a choice, and a good example of that is the comparison between "Avatar" & "Million Dollar Baby".

Jake Sully is definitely the happiest soul when in his avatar HOWEVER, when in his wheelchair he is still a "go for it" kind of person. He is up to the challenge and venturous in spite of his limitation. He is not just sitting home sobbing about his injury and how Dr. Young has not cured him...

Then you have Million Dollar Baby (Cannot remember her name) with all the millions, yet no courage to live... She beat hell to become a boxer, yet did not even try to fight SCI. And of course, our "dear" Clint Eastwood who I wonder what keeps him alive if he's such an expert at wanting to die (Gran Torino was an excellent movie, but good example of my point as well)...

My opinion as Polett, a fool with SCI, is that I need/want/deserve plenty of movies like Avatar, and NONE like Million Dollar Baby (as good as it was).

Why? Simple: Avatar helps society see us a NORMAL individuals the belong in such. It makes people wonder, maybe even "get involved". It changes a stare of "God please take me if I get like that" to a simple look of "Gee, I wonder...". For me, watching it made me smile/laugh/fly into Pandora... When you feel good, you think better & act to better your life.

Million Dollar Baby hurts, it makes people afraid of such pain, it makes those without limitations look the other way, avoid the situation, ignore it as if did not exist. To me that is far from where I want to be.

If depression was the right state of mind, shrinks would be prescribing depressants.

BTW, Avatar is positive in all levels, not just for those with SCIs.

Just my 2.75 cents.
    Polet,
    Your post is exactly what I was thinking while I watched the movie, that this is light years away from the stereotypical "must die now" message of Million Dollar Baby. MDB actually made me quite angry, whereas Avatar gave me metaphorical wings, a smile, and the sense of freedom that all of us deserve.

Speak for yourself DA... Not for nothing but I've been a member of CC for a few years, and you still whine in the same exact manner... What will you whine about the day you walk? Time wasted, life, food, air?..

I still believe life is a choice, and a good example of that is the comparison between "Avatar" & "Million Dollar Baby".

Jake Sully is definitely the happiest soul when in his avatar HOWEVER, when in his wheelchair he is still a "go for it" kind of person. He is up to the challenge and venturous in spite of his limitation. He is not just sitting home sobbing about his injury and how Dr. Young has not cured him...

Then you have Million Dollar Baby (Cannot remember her name) with all the millions, yet no courage to live... She beat hell to become a boxer, yet did not even try to fight SCI. And of course, our "dear" Clint Eastwood who I wonder what keeps him alive if he's such an expert at wanting to die (Gran Torino was an excellent movie, but good example of my point as well)...

My opinion as Polett, a fool with SCI, is that I need/want/deserve plenty of movies like Avatar, and NONE like Million Dollar Baby (as good as it was).

Why? Simple: Avatar helps society see us a NORMAL individuals the belong in such. It makes people wonder, maybe even "get involved". It changes a stare of "God please take me if I get like that" to a simple look of "Gee, I wonder...". For me, watching it made me smile/laugh/fly into Pandora... When you feel good, you think better & act to better your life.

Million Dollar Baby hurts, it makes people afraid of such pain, it makes those without limitations look the other way, avoid the situation, ignore it as if did not exist. To me that is far from where I want to be.

If depression was the right state of mind, shrinks would be prescribing depressants.

Just my 2.75 cents.
    Bravo, Polett. I agree. By the way, I suspect that DA has not seen Avatar. If I were in Texas, I would grab him and take him to see the movie myself. Wise.

i haven't seen it, but according to this post, I am going to ask my Mom to take me....
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Bravo, Polett. I agree. By the way, I suspect that DA has not seen Avatar. If I were in Texas, I would grab him and take him to see the movie myself. Wise.

LOL, Wise, you should know by now that DA doesn't need facts or truth to change his mind. If he liked the movie, and had to agree with someone, it would break his lil heart.
    Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

Just some reason I'm NOT going to see Avatar:

1. Well-worn message the people are the 'problem'. I'm so tired of being trashed as a species.
    2. That the environment should be protected above people.
    3. That paralysis is so bad that you have to dump your current body [no I don't].
    4. That the Eastern religions [look up the name Avatar] are more enlightened than Christianity. So transparent.
    5. And on and on...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B
    Snickety poo?!?!

(Brilliant post -- best laugh I've had today!)
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Just my 2.75 cents.
    why bother coming to cure forum if you are so happy with sci? it is because you
    are not happy. attacking others as you always do is a sign of an angry vengeful
    soul. a happy soul helps others to find peace, you have always belittle others, including me.