Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 'Avatar' Gets Mixed Praise From Paraplegics

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Kathy, yes, Lynnifer first pointed that out. I wasn't aware of that when I saw the movie and didn't pay all that much attention to how he was sitting. It certainly was sufficient to fool me.

Just read the following review which made the following interesting points:
    http://blog.oregonlive.com/madaboutm..._movie-mo.html

I agree with this assessment of the movie by Shawn Levy of the Oregonian. He points out that

In my opinion, this movie was an accomplishment of drama that surpasses any other movie of 2009 and probably of the decade. For all the criticism that has been directed at the "shallow" story, I thought that it was actually not so shallow and brought up a number of very difficult and complicated issues without falsifying or demeaning them. Levy goes on about these aspects of the movie's story and Jake Sully's character.

From the perspective of this site, I must say that I am in awe with the way that Cameron (both in his script and his direction of the movie) treated spinal cord injury. It was clear from the movie that Cameron sees spinal cord injury as a "condition" that imposes limitations on the body but not the soul. This is the exact opposite of the message given by Clint Eastwood's "Million dollar baby" which implies that spinal cord injury is a blight on the soul, to the extent that the hero of the movie helped the heroine with spinal cord injury kill herself.

The fact that Cameron paid attention to details such as atrophy of the legs and how Sully grabbed the pants to move his legs when transferring from his wheelchair, how he crawled around on the ground, and when he was in the alien body stopped to feel his toes wriggling in the dirt... that is what grabbed my respect for the Cameron. He cares and thinks about what it means to be spinal-injured.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Cameron donated and made a cure for spinal cord injury come true?

Wise.
    a donation that would be wasted by most researchers. so it would be better if he made a movie about being sci. more than that baby stuff like someone moving a leg, show the killing of the spirit while you lay in the bed for months with a sore, the 24/7 pain,
    the poor pca care, ad, and then death...

Quote Originally Posted by boda View Post
    I think what was most disturbing was the fact that they were in the year 2154 and they still had not figured out an effective treatment for the masses.
    From the plot summary on IMDB (I haven't seen the movie yet)

Jake acknowledges through voiceover that he lost the use of his legs during one of his tours of duty on Earth, and while a spine can be fixed, that "takes money," and that is tough to come by in the present economy.
    (Source)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Oh, god! I've also read an article claiming the movie is racist.

I'm glad The Vatican has taken the time to do film reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by weimin View Post
    Hi DR Wise,

I like your comments on the movie. But how did you know that he had a lumbar injury? Was it told in the movie? I haven't watch the movie. How is it that he has a lumbar injury and cannot walk? How many people have lumbar injuries can walk and cannot walk? Do you know if he has bladder and bowerl functions, was it shown in the movie? Just curious. Finally how did he get the injury, was it in the war and by a fall or shot?

Weimin
    Weimin, you are in for a treat. Go see it on the biggest screen 3D.

The movie of course did not say what his level was. I surmised that he had a lower thoracolumbar injury based on the appearance of his legs. Jake Sully (the character) had obviously atrophic and flaccid legs that he moved around by grabbing his trouser pants with his hands and lifting. They were sufficiently atrophic that he was able to lift his leg into the chamber-like device where he lies in to communicate with the alien body. The actor is able-bodied and the speculation is that his atrophied legs are prostheses while his real legs are in the wheelchair itself. The actor must have practiced a lot in his wheelchair because he seems to be reasonably proficient with it. The wheelchair is a fixed frame and many people have noticed that he doesn't have a cushion (of course people would notice that). I don't know about his bowel and bladder function since the movie never showed him talking about or doing anything with such functions.

The story says that Jake Sully was injured as a Marine in battle and the officer that encouraged him to provide intelligence on the Na'vis had promised him that if Jake Sully helped them, the company would pay the cost of "getting his real legs back" or something to that effect. I thought that this is an interesting statement of the future, that even governments are not able to afford to pay for the cure for their elite soldiers injured in battle. It suggests either that the government is very poor or the cure is very expensive. On the other hand, the planet was being occupied by some company and apparently not a government.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    a donation that would be wasted by most researchers. so it would be better if he made a movie about being sci. more than that baby stuff like someone moving a leg, show the killing of the spirit while you lay in the bed for months with a sore, the 24/7 pain,
    the poor pca care, ad, and then death...
    Sigh, DA, such a movie will fail. Nobody would go see it. Wise.

Regarding the movie Avatar and James Cameron and a possible donation ... #Avatar has been a 'trending topic' on Twitter for a few weeks now.

I use Twitter as an advocacy tool ... it allows interaction with celebrities, politicians, etc ... is there an Avatar twitter? You bet!

If 100 of us hit it .... maybe? LOL Just throwing that idea out there ...

I saw an interview with the main actor Sam Worthington. At age 30, he sold everything he owned and was living out of his car ... I found that interesting. He's supposedly 39 now. It's also rumored (gawd I have too much time to read those dastardly imdb boards) that he was born premature ... he's very slight in stature.

I would love to know what research they did for this role ... positively he had to have had a coach or consultant or a close friend who was paralyzed.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Check "Mar Adentro" 2004 Oscar winner.
    http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=mar+adentro

like real life for us.

Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    like real life for us.
    Speak for yourself DA... Not for nothing but I've been a member of CC for a few years, and you still whine in the same exact manner... What will you whine about the day you walk? Time wasted, life, food, air?..

I still believe life is a choice, and a good example of that is the comparison between "Avatar" & "Million Dollar Baby".

Jake Sully is definitely the happiest soul when in his avatar HOWEVER, when in his wheelchair he is still a "go for it" kind of person. He is up to the challenge and venturous in spite of his limitation. He is not just sitting home sobbing about his injury and how Dr. Young has not cured him...

Then you have Million Dollar Baby (Cannot remember her name) with all the millions, yet no courage to live... She beat hell to become a boxer, yet did not even try to fight SCI. And of course, our "dear" Clint Eastwood who I wonder what keeps him alive if he's such an expert at wanting to die (Gran Torino was an excellent movie, but good example of my point as well)...

My opinion as Polett, a fool with SCI, is that I need/want/deserve plenty of movies like Avatar, and NONE like Million Dollar Baby (as good as it was).

Why? Simple: Avatar helps society see us a NORMAL individuals the belong in such. It makes people wonder, maybe even "get involved". It changes a stare of "God please take me if I get like that" to a simple look of "Gee, I wonder...". For me, watching it made me smile/laugh/fly into Pandora... When you feel good, you think better & act to better your life.

Million Dollar Baby hurts, it makes people afraid of such pain, it makes those without limitations look the other way, avoid the situation, ignore it as if did not exist. To me that is far from where I want to be.

If depression was the right state of mind, shrinks would be prescribing depressants.

BTW, Avatar is positive in all levels, not just for those with SCIs.

Just my 2.75 cents.
    Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!